Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:54 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times

Advertisements

Yah I heard the old guy died a long time ago- kind of got bored and disappointed with his creations and simply faded into oblivion due to lack of interest- I hear that God is really good at being dead- and real good and coming to life when he gets the inclination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times

XTC-Dear God - YouTube

Old 06-10-2012, 10:58 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The so called Christians who scoff when you quote Jesus???
Then they are not really Christians now are they? Self proclaimed Christianity, and actual Christianity are two different things. What about the "scientific atheists" that scoff when reasonable Christians believe in science?

Old 06-10-2012, 11:00 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Instead of trying to convert atheists into Christians, why doesn't the priest try to get Christians to agree with the word of Jesus Christ.

Never mind, I think it's easier to convert atheists than it is to get Christians to emulate Jesus Christ.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
"It takes more faith to be an atheist" HA! It takes more faith to not have faith in something for which there is no evidence? Ridiculous.
Actually, I agree with that quote and I'm an atheist. Lemme explain.

To believe a supreme being like a God or whoever made everything and controls the universe is easier and takes little effort to invent than actually researching and finding facts that show we know little about what the complete truth is. Christianity just as every religion came into existence out of people's lack of information so they created the truth in order to better understand the universe. and honestly, it makes sense that they would do this consider the time and world they lived in.

Now that we have better technology and information, the belief systems of religion are crumbling before us. Some people are too stubborn though and can't let go of their antiquated beliefs. Time and time again people have been shown to be mistaken in their beliefs and religions have been shown to be contradictory. It is very difficult for them to fathom that our existence is well beyond simple explanation. I understand completely, it's hard for me to fathom too. Again though, there is enough evidence and information out there to show that maybe our religious beliefs aren't so correct. After all, we once believed the earth was flat and the sun was the center of the universe.

And really, what makes more sense, that there actually were talking snakes and bushes, water being turned into wine and immaculate conception, or that people created legends and passed these stories on to their gullible brethren?

Anyway, I'm going off into too many directions. Point is, it is more difficult for people to accept that the universe is vastly different from our previously conceived notions. Luckily, my mind is bendable and open to the truth.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:27 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
You know you've got a good topic when:
1)The leftists comment on the source rather than the topic.
2)The Atheists won't argue, intelligently, against the topic, they would rather throw there lack of belief out in the open so that they may show their, self perceived, intelligence

Any who, the priest is right.
I will not comment on the merit of the topic, but you should be aware that not all atheists are leftists.

As to an intelligent argument against the topic, I think Thomas Aquinas was correct. "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." Faith defies rational explanation. Faith is the antithesis of reason. Hence, those without faith are incapable of comprehending.

What separates science from faith is after a question is answered based upon supposition, science takes it further to prove through reason that the answer is either right or wrong. It is not enough for science to "believe" the laws of physics are correct, those laws must be repeatedly tested through observation, unlike faith.

Unlike those with faith, who will always argue that their perceptions are correct, it is just as exciting for an atheist to find out they were wrong as it is when they were correct. When our observations are contrary to our perception of reality, it cries out for an explanation. The more we refine our perception of reality, the more we are able to understand. The more we understand, the more we begin to understand what we do not know.

For some people, having faith is sufficient. For others, it is never enough. They must have answers, and they question everything. Faith only works if you do not expect answers to your questions.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"God is dead" is SO 1960s.
Actually it's SO 1800's from Friedrich Nietsche's "Thus Spake Zarathustra", a nihilist philosophical evil much admired by Adolf Hitler.

Last edited by Bideshi; 06-11-2012 at 04:10 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think you will remain as ignorant of what was said in the video as you were when you came squealing into this thread. Would it do you some real harm to hear the rap?
Suealing into this thread?

Afraid to address what I actually said?

Have no valid response, just your self-Righteous whine, eh?

I'll say it again: Equating belief with fact is dumb and I know damn well no silly ass rap video is going to change that.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Actually, I agree with that quote and I'm an atheist. Lemme explain.

To believe a supreme being like a God or whoever made everything and controls the universe is easier and takes little effort to invent than actually researching and finding facts that show we know little about what the complete truth is. Christianity just as every religion came into existence out of people's lack of information so they created the truth in order to better understand the universe. and honestly, it makes sense that they would do this consider the time and world they lived in.

Now that we have better technology and information, the belief systems of religion are crumbling before us. Some people are too stubborn though and can't let go of their antiquated beliefs. Time and time again people have been shown to be mistaken in their beliefs and religions have been shown to be contradictory. It is very difficult for them to fathom that our existence is well beyond simple explanation. I understand completely, it's hard for me to fathom too. Again though, there is enough evidence and information out there to show that maybe our religious beliefs aren't so correct. After all, we once believed the earth was flat and the sun was the center of the universe.

And really, what makes more sense, that there actually were talking snakes and bushes, water being turned into wine and immaculate conception, or that people created legends and passed these stories on to their gullible brethren?

Anyway, I'm going off into too many directions. Point is, it is more difficult for people to accept that the universe is vastly different from our previously conceived notions. Luckily, my mind is bendable and open to the truth.
All correct, but leaves out a factor that plays a major, if not the major role, in keeping most believers so glued to their faith in myth...the fear of dying.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This title should excite many here but you know I would never say that in a serious manner, I hope. However the good priest says just that in this video that he aims at atheists and other non-believers. I was very impressed with the way he gets his story through in rap fashion.

This one has to be bad being from The Blaze though. Maybe you should watch it just to see what it is about.

Fr. Pontifex Slams Atheism in New ‘God Is Dead’ Spoken Word Video | Video | TheBlaze.com

I don't need a lecture to tell me about God. He's very much alive, thank you very much, and I don't see my opinion changing any time soon.

It's called faith, as written in Hebrews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies