Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Yeah lets just give away the "profits" and keep on socializing the loses.

Why do you even bother? You have no understanding of economics at all, and play these infantile gimmicks of manufacting any ambiguity into your straw man argument. Get lost.
I wasnt being serious, I was making fun of you for thinking we should nationalize the mortgage industry. Note the

Hell, you complain about socializing the losses and then you say something that dumb. Have you seen the recent foreclosure numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Well not completely agreeing with RP isn't an issue for me. The "dupe" or "over reaction" desc seems extreme to me, however. Let's set RP aside.

I am actually unclear about some of your views though I have read what you wrote. So maybe you can articulate them w/o the superfluous stuff.

Seems you don't like debt based systems? That big changes in money supply are problematic? Not a fan of fractional reserve? The FED? You believe debt based systems are a dead end and unsustainable?
As put by J.S Mill, the two great threats to democracy are tyranny of the majority, and the low grade intelligence of the populous. Thus a complex monetary system that is a paradox in the mind of the populous, will want to pay it off and expand it at the worst possible time. Thus as a derivative of the principle ,one ought to realize such a system is inimical to democracy. It makes the populace effectively ignorant. We defaulted into a chartalist money system. So why not treat it as such for good , ill or with the intent to replace it. Few people even know what it is.

Fractional reserve lending is even worse. Without productive loans that expand the currency with the addition of widgets, its inherently inflationary. Its mostly because we have a good deal of monetary expansion supported by increasing economic rents, which is an quality of its scarcity, not as a product. In fact, the more production there is, the poorer the store of value the previous product is, so everyone rolls it into something like real estate which is a ponzi scheme of economic rent. Furthermore, the interest is compensation for well placed capital and risk. Since they just bloat asset prices and were bailed out, what risk? What well placed capital? What are we paying them for?

Quote:
If so, I agree with all of that.

That taxes are inevitable? (Not sure I agree here, though there is a strong tendency.) There are ways to eliminate taxes, though I am not entirely opposed to taxes mind you. I do think the form of tax matters though.
You are gonna pay taxes and you are gonna die too I am afraid.

I'll have to try and remember you, CDusr as someone with manners, and a brain.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
As put by J.S Mill, the two great threats to democracy are tyranny of the majority, and the low grade intelligence of the populous. Thus a complex monetary system that is a paradox in the mind of the populous, will want to pay it off and expand it at the worst possible time. Thus as a derivative of the principle ,one ought to realize such a system is inimical to democracy. It makes the populace effectively ignorant. We defaulted into a chartalist money system. So why not treat it as such for good , ill or with the intent to replace it. Few people even know what it is.

Fractional reserve lending is even worse. Without productive loans that expand the currency with the addition of widgets, its inherently inflationary. Its mostly because we have a good deal of monetary expansion supported by increasing economic rents, which is an quality of its scarcity, not as a product. In fact, the more production there is, the poorer the store of value the previous product is, so everyone rolls it into something like real estate which is a ponzi scheme of economic rent. Furthermore, the interest is compensation for well placed capital and risk. Since they just bloat asset prices and were bailed out, what risk? What well placed capital? What are we paying them for?

You are gonna pay taxes and you are gonna die too I am afraid.

I'll have to try and remember you, CDusr as someone with manners, and a brain.
LOL, thanks. I think "death" is more inevitable, but still a strong tendency rather than a surety.

Depends on what you define your "identity" as. I am not a body, just borrowing one for awhile best I can tell.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Personal debt. Yes, a lot of people are still shell-shocked from 2007-08 and are spending their money on paying off debt as opposed to spending at the mall. Soon they will whip out their credit cards again and put themselves in debt again, and politicians claim credit for "fixing" the economy, but all that happened was the repetition of the same problem.
Mortgage and credit card debt are decreasing while student loan debt is increasing. I think the reasons for both should be obvious.

The OP shouldn't get all excited though because personal debt ($15.957 trillion) is still higher than the public debt ($15.786 trillion) but at the current rater they'll soon be equal.

If you liquidated the U.S. right now meaning you sold basically everything they own with maybe the exception of the food they have and the clothes on their backs each taxpayer would still owe approximately $762,000 for what the U.S. (the people) have promised to themselves.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
You are basically saying self interest and collective interest are the same. See any collisions between the two when stealing cars?

Is saving good? OK. If there are 10 savers on an island, what do we call that? 10 people who refuse to do any trade with each other. Depressions is everyone saving. Debts at the micro level is a liability. At the macro layer its someone's asset. That debt might have been for fire wood in the winter which will keep someone alive. The debt of wood might have been for food to keep the one chopping wood alive.
The island argument is kind of dishonest. You cannot argue in a vacuum like that because that isn't exactly what is happening here. That debt at the macro level isn't exactly fire wood for us. That's the problem with a distorted medium like fiat money...there is no transparency when understanding where that debt is allocated.

Quote:
Why? Because credit always becomes monopolized, and you lose all the benefits of private enterprise. Private industry is always regulated by the buyer's ability to choose a competitor, not just because its private. Private monopolies are the worst of everything. The only think I might consider is Hayek's idea of market money...
I agree...I subscribe to Hayek's ideology. But the truth is....with government in the way, and an amazingly unwieldy one like we have now....we will never know what is a "good money" because we've always ceded to letting the government run the "monopoly" of issuing money. And they would never let institutions set up alternative money and exchange rates to see what would be the best medium of exchange. It's what got Lincoln killed.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:02 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
You really don't know what your talking about do you? This is the problem, folks that don't understand basic economics get the wool pulled over their eyes by the idiot in the whitehouse.. if they don't vote for him because he extended their entitlement programs or now, because he's granting them amnesty they ae voting because they believe his smoke and mirriors about the economy.

blah

blah

blah

Quote:
You do realize by by passing the rules for votes he has just told the boat load of people trying to get into this country legally their efforts are a waste and to simply get into the country illegally and someday the idiot will give them amnesty.
what the hell are you talking about? this isn't monetary policy. go start your own thread.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The OP shouldn't get all excited though because personal debt ($15.957 trillion) is still higher than the public debt ($15.786 trillion) but at the current rater they'll soon be equal.
personal debt isn't the issue, it's private sector debt.

Quote:
If you liquidated the U.S. right now meaning you sold basically everything they own with maybe the exception of the food they have and the clothes on their backs each taxpayer would still owe approximately $762,000 for what the U.S. (the people) have promised to themselves.
why would we liquidate the U.S. government?

Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I wasnt being serious, I was making fun of you for thinking we should nationalize the mortgage industry.
Hell, you complain about socializing the losses and then you say something that dumb. Have you seen the recent foreclosure numbers?

we already nationalized the mortgage industry.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 PM

68 posts, read 41,510 times
More obama care and maybe we will be so bankrupt that we will fall apart?

Old 06-16-2012, 11:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
we already nationalized the mortgage industry.
Insuring mortgages isnt the same as nationalizing them.. And for the record, I'm against insuring them as well, but liberal crybabies want more, even though it caused the economic collapse we're all living with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies