Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't go too far to say that. Racial and gender paranoia is common among almost every demographic group in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouJustHatetheTruth View Post

If they're here illegally, they should be removed. What is so hard about that to understand?
Yeah, right. last time I was in Arizona, I was constantly harrassed by Sheriff Joe's stormtroopers, because I looked like a blue-eyed blonde-haired Canadian. They were afraid I had overstayed my Snowbird visa.

Here are a few more truths that you hate:

Florida denied voting privileges to thousands of citizens (all "diverse") who were perfectly legal voters.

The Consititution places the onus on the accusers, not the accused.

Public social benefits are intended to be used by people who can't pay for them, not people who can.

Now loitering is probable cause in America? Only if you're a minority.

If you get pulled over while driving a car, which legally requires licensure for public safety, the police can require driving license and car papers. That's all.

By the way, the Scrooge that you like to quote in defense of your worldview, was a fictional character created to satirize a certain political and social posture. It has the same credibility as quoting Beavis and Butthead.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-13-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
When racists seek out diversity all they see is race. These racists usually look down on homogenous white neighborhoods and tend to focus on ethnicity when judging people and populations. I personally think people are far more complex than ethnicity. There's people of all kinds in every ethnicity so it all seems pretty shallow.

Last edited by things and stuff; 06-13-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Why? Because we are a country of immigrants. Always have been, always will be. And our growth as a country has been fueled, in large part, by the different ideas that have been brought here from different parts of the globe. We are a mixture of English, Irish, Scottish, French, German, Latino, African, Indian, Native American, Chinese, Eastern European, Arab, and Jew. Have I left anyone out? All of whom have brought their own culture and thoughts to this country. In turn, over time, we have had, as a nation a tendency to pick out the best of everything and embrace it. That's why you have black people celebrating St. Patrick's Day and blue-eyed blonde people celebrating Cinco de Mayo and everybody recreating the English Puritan feast of Thanksgiving. We follow the lead of our Germanic forebears by putting up Christmas trees and our Mexican forebears by putting out poinsettias. Salsa is a far more popular condiment today than catsup, and you'll be amazed at how many decent sushi bars can be found in what are otherwise considered to be sleepy Southern backwaters.

In other words, diversity has created an unbelievable rich and varied cultural life in our country. That's why we like it.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
If you think Americans truly like diversity clink on this link of cities mapped by racial distribution

Race and ethnicity (2000) - a set on Flickr

for example, look at Detroit

Race and ethnicity: Detroit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
If you're more analytically minded than visual, CensusScope has dissimilarity and exposure indexes which measure how dissimilar the average neighborhood is from overall racial makeup. It tells the exact same story. Just for example, with the most segregated cities in California include: #2 Los Angeles, #6 San Francisco, #8 Richmond, #9 Oakland, #12 Berkeley... But don't tell anyone, especially someone from Oakland, that. They'll bury their head in the sand and tell you all about how diverse and integrated their cities are.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:45 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times
The OP obviously has not been to Europe. London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam are all becoming increasingly diverse and are by no way "98% white"...not by a long shot. You may find some areas like that in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, but that's only because they are not developed yet. Once they develop, most likely the doors will be left open just like in Western Europe.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
I don't.

Unless it's organic.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrupa View Post
Looking around C-D, it seems like nearly all Americans love demographic diversity, and think the more diverse (a.k.a the more minorities), the better.

What's wrong with having 98% Whites in a city or area? That's the case in most European cities.
I don't think C-D posters are representative of Americans as a whole. They seem more likely to be more educated (or else they wouldn't compose paragraph upon paragraph of coherent text), younger (particularly if they are looking to relocate), and more liberal (with the exception of some forums), especially socially liberal, on average, than the overall American population. (These are just my observations)

There is also a "social desirability bias" in favor of openly stating that one wishes to live in a diverse area. If a person posted that they would prefer to live in a more homogeneous area (especially if they stated their race), other posters could mistakenly assume that they are racist.

I think actual behavior provides a good counter-example to this. For example, the purpose of homeowner's association bylaws, which regulate what many Americans can do with their homes and yards, is to stabilize or raise property values by restricting some sorts of behavior undesirable to people with income levels who would move into neighborhoods under HOA jurisdiction. Hence no esquite vendors or chicken coops or cars parked on the lawn in most homeowners' association neighborhoods.

Last edited by tvdxer; 06-13-2012 at 11:00 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I don't think C-D posters are representative of Americans as a whole. They seem more likely to be more educated (or else they wouldn't compose paragraph upon paragraph of coherent text), younger (particularly if they are looking to relocate), and more liberal (with the exception of some forums), especially socially liberal, on average, than the overall American population. (These are just my observations)

There is also a "social desirability bias" in favor of openly stating that one wishes to live in a diverse area. If a person posted that they would prefer to live in a more homogeneous area (especially if they stated their race), other posters could mistakenly assume that they are racist.

I think actual behavior provides a good counter-example to this. For example, the purpose of homeowner's association bylaws, which regulate what many Americans can do with their homes and yards, is to stabilize or raise property values by restricting some sorts of behavior undesirable to people with income levels who would move into neighborhoods under HOA jurisdiction. Hence no esquite vendors or chicken coops or cars parked on the lawn in most homeowners' associations.
I absolutely agree with the above, and....

I think a lot of the desirable diversity chatter is rooted in liberal and progressive political movements and the rhetoric that those breed. Plus, a lot more young people have gone to college in recent decades. So I also think a want of diversity is rooted in the college and college-town experience, where one intermingles and rubs shoulders with people from all different cities, their state and others, the country, and the world, and from different backgrounds from themselves. Further, I think the allure of the big cosmopolitan city plays a role, which has roots in television and movies. One other thing is that people without a strong home culture they've remained a part of or have one they want to escape from may have a difficult time choosing a more homogenous place to live and rather choose to bask in the diversity of the city and wait until they're looking to have kids or their friends start moving out to the suburbs and then go wherever that takes them.

I also think the trendyness and increasing popularity of urban living is rooted in the college and college-town experience. I think it's pretty fair to say it's pretty common for people to live in cities through their 20's and then move onto the suburbs when they're 30-ish. It's like it's become a a part of growing up. People who get 'pumped' in college and a college-town atmosphere may not want to just go straight to the suburbs, as that would be quite a transition, and seem glum right out of college. For some, this phenomenon may even go too far and be driven by the desire to not grow up. Because I think the purpose served for urban living for many, in a sense, is to recreate the college-town experience and environment, while transitioning from school to a work life.

Last edited by MOKAN; 06-13-2012 at 11:01 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrupa View Post
Looking around C-D, it seems like nearly all Americans love demographic diversity, and think the more diverse (a.k.a the more minorities), the better.

What's wrong with having 98% Whites in a city or area? That's the case in most European cities.
Here's a story about two European countries; maybe this will answer your question...

Racism in Euro 2012 Football-Poland & Ukraine - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies