Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times

Advertisements

Because we are stupid.

I think diversity is fine and why the US is such a great country but when a certain group of people are invading our country and turning it into a 3rd world country it makes me not like diversity so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Having a lot of different cultures around is more interesting to me personally, plus you can take parts of different cultures and use them to enhance your own life, through cuisine, art, music, or whatever. I don't think having a variety of cultures represented in a place makes it in any way morally superior to any other place, it's just less likely to be boring.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 PM

160 posts, read 365,559 times
White guilt. And all those politically correct after-school-specials storylines that have dominated every t.v. show and movie for the last 30 years.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
seriously?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:14 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
.... feels like this thread is in the wrong place.

As a 20 something who went to one of the most diverse high schools you could go to in DFW, frankly I find that just being around one group of people all the time is pretty damn boring.

I won't even address the "white neighborhoods are better" posts from earlier.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 PM

383 posts, read 732,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrupa View Post

What's wrong with having 98% Whites in a city or area? That's the case in most European cities.
Name ONE!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:57 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
I think a lot of people who value ethnic diversity appreciate the unique perspective it gives.

I attended a 95%+ black high school for an advanced middle school program. Before that I was used to being another white kid in a vastly white catholic school system. Being in the vast minority taught me how it feels and if people are cool with you and you're cool with others it really doesn't matter what the color of the skin is (remember I was a preteen as I was learning this, if it sounds childish). It also taught me to appreciate that sensation of being "different" as a microcosm to how many black and darker hued folks feel in American society in general.

And I think white people have slowly come to realize it's not cool to judge people on their skin color. Oh there's pockets here and there but at the macro level, it doesn't matter as much anymore.

Or as Chris Rock likes to say, "All the gains in diversity and acceptance in US society hasn't been because of us black folks working hard or resisting or whatever. It's because white people have got less crazy!"

With unique perspectives usually comes unique thoughts and Americans value uniqueness. We also see our nation as a nation of immigrants by nature, so it's not met with the same stigma as it does in Europe or Asia; of being an "outsider", since everyone is an outsider in the US. Finally I think it's the majority's opinion that despite or no matter who you are, no matter where you are in the world, you're an American. At first it sounds revolting ... you're not addicted to sugary foods, eat way too much, exercise way too little, drive everywhere, or like working yourself half to death. But if you think about it more, you realize it's true ... anyone can become an American just by virtue of location and appreciation of the unique face we and most American nations bring to the world.

Last edited by eskercurve; 06-14-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
A lot of the diversity in America is fake diversity: sure, you've got people with different skin colors and ethnicities and languages living in one area, but -- surprise, surprise -- all these "diverse" people are generally homogeneous when it comes to political alignment, or what they do for a living (arts and academics), and so on. True diversity is composed of groups that are REALLY different -- staunch traditionalists AND liberals, working-class AND trustafarians, etc. Not a whole lot of that diversity in "diverse communities" of American cities.

Also, studies have shown that "diverse" communities don't have a lot of real cohesion beneath the surface. Take any college campus that has a "diverse" student body and I'll show you a cafeteria where the white students and black students don't mingle.

I don't know why "diversity" has to be a value, when you can just cut to the chase and say, "I don't particularly care about diversity, but I know it's rather unwise to pre-judge people or discriminate against them because of their color, language, orientation, etc." That would be a lot more honest.

"Diversity" is not "the right thing" -- it's that discrimination is essentially a dumb, unwise way to conduct your human affairs with people you're stuck with.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 PM

286 posts, read 699,333 times
It's mostly lip service. Look at the upper-class professional whites. While they may not vocalize it, they prefer areas comprised heavily of white, Jewish, or northern Asian residents. Blacks, Latinos, and South Asians, not so much.

Look at the cities that college-educated whites "just fall in love with." They are overwhelmingly white, or currently in the process of being gentrified. Seattle, Boston, Portland, etc. These places are lily white, more white than even Europe. Now look at places most CDer's avoid. Hmmm, there tends to be a sizable population of Blacks and Latinos.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times
The posters on this site, as has been mentioned before, are definately not an accurate representation of the American populace at large...

In places like California that are noted for their so-called "demographic diversity", whites (and even blacks) have been fleeing the state like crazy in recent years, not just due to economic turmoil, but also due to an influx of non-whites....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies