Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,783,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
They'd better not work 'with the other party', on illegal immigration or anything. We didn't send them to DC to compromise with idiots. We sent them there to do our bidding, and giving passes to illegal immigrants ain't gonna cut it.

If they start compromising, they're history.
Now, you are certainly entitled to hold this opinion.

But when a legislator sent to GOVERN takes this approach, it is a disaster. Not everyone in the country agrees with you, and get this, they never will! You will never have absolute power, so you have to compromise. The "my way or the highway" approach is shared by many despots, zealots, and fascists through history, and it has never turned out well. The no compromise attitude is great for guys like Assad, Bin Laden, Hussein, Stalin,etc., but it has no place in a democracy led by 300 million people.

I think Jeb Bush is probably right. He seems a bit smarter than his brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,698,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Jeb might just be positioning for 2012. He is fairly popular with the latinos and that might be enough to get him into the WH.
Positioning for what? Considering this is already June, I'd say he's blown it for 2012.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,912,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
It is the achilles heel for both parties. Probably moreso the Republicans though. They couldn't do any real reform while they had the House, Senate and Presidency as they aren't willing to take the risks involved with compromise. The Democrats can't really get anything done as the Republicans won't work with them.

In terms of where the jobs are going, I take it you haven't traveled much. Those jobs are heading to many places including Germany, China and India. You're out of your mind if you think that regulation and bureaucracy doesn't exist in those jurisdictions. Getting things done in China is just painful.
the democrats were just as bad, in fact worse because they had a filibuster proof senate for nearly two years and they did NOTHING on immigration reform. to my knowledge the republicans never had a filibuster proof senate, which means the democrats could block anything they wanted to.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,435,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Jeb Bush says GOP primaries boxed in Romney on immigration | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

The former Florida governor criticized the tone of the Republican debate over illegal immigration. "I do feel a little out of step with my party on this," said Bush, who supports immigration reform.

Bush told reporters at the breakfast that even Ronald Reagan would have a tough time winning the Republican presidential nomination in today's partisan climate, in which working with members of the other party is seen as a weakness.

PS: He also bad mouthed Dem's as well. The article is about Romney getting boxed in over immigration with the GOP.

Seems like(to me) he wants to stay a repub but doesn't like his comrades.

Democrats worked with Reagan?

While the closing of the loopholes was quickly put into place, Congress never enacted any of the spending cuts. Reagan came to regret his support for TEFRA, and years later he wrote: “The Democrats reneged on their pledge [to cut spending] and we never got those cuts.”

Obama Makes ‘Hey!’ Out of Reagan’s Great Regret | | Conservative News, Views & Books

Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 PM

24,043 posts, read 15,154,071 times
No body has done anything on immigration reform. Except Roy Beck. The Republican business owners got rid of e-verify in Texas the day is was going to pass.

Bleeding heart liberals may be fretting over civil rights, but it is all of us who employ them. The national Chamber of Commerce, the National Restaurant Association, the builders, the grocers, yada yada yada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies