Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:01 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Just stick to life, liberty and property. The government most important function is to protect those rights. The system has become flawed. It needs to be set back on course after all it created the greatest country the world has ever seen in a mere 240 years or so.
And the US changed the entire balance of power in the world with the advent of the atomic bomb. We have been the only nation in the world to unnecessarily use it. We have garnered our prosperity and wealth via two means...............might and money! Bretton Woods and the Manhattan project. Don't ever forget that! The ability for our country to come out of WWII unscathed and impart upon the world financially tyranny in the form of nuclear weapons AND the dollar as the world reserve currency meant GAME OVER for the rest of the world. Of course just about every foreign policy objective and war has been in the name of "freedom, democracy, and capitalism". LMAO! Keep drinking the kool aid! It gets hot in Kansass!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Sounds like Little Oleg has a jealousy problem.
Never have I been jealous of anyone in my life- I had my ego laden days in the sun...had folks worship me for my natural ability....all I know about having billions of dollars is that it would be a curse and to much work.

I am not like you who look up to the super rich as if they are better- or smarter...or happier...I don't worship anyone other than me...The reason I was poking at Gates came from a story..while working in the movie business for over 18 years and giving a lot of energy and brains to the production of American feature films and TV shows...(during the boom in Canada when hundreds of productions were done in Canada)...During this period I met a lot of insiders.

One of them was a guy who hung out with associates and friends of Bill Gates when Bill was a young guy..This person was in the room when the boys were puffing pot and drinking beer- playing some blues guitar..This was just prior the Microsoft era.

Gates was there among this very creative bunch and there was the tossing around of ideas...My friend said that Gates blurted this out "If you are not going to use that idea - I am going to run with it".....Yes Bill was smart and ambitious...and responsible for making things happen- The point I was making is that ideas...genius and the vision that created Microsoft...did not pop out of Gates's brain- It came from another person who is now lost in history.

So I respect Gates for what he did- but I realize that he is not to be worshiped ...He was a determined opportunist, It was his vision but not his intellectual property the fueled the birth of his empire...

The concept of the personal computer came out of the head of some long haired genius smoking a joint who was NOT as driven or connected as Gates,

Old 06-12-2012, 02:29 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
And the US changed the entire balance of power in the world with the advent of the atomic bomb. We have been the only nation in the world to unnecessarily use it. We have garnered our prosperity and wealth via two means...............might and money! Bretton Woods and the Manhattan project. Don't ever forget that! The ability for our country to come out of WWII unscathed and impart upon the world financially tyranny in the form of nuclear weapons AND the dollar as the world reserve currency meant GAME OVER for the rest of the world. Of course just about every foreign policy objective and war has been in the name of "freedom, democracy, and capitalism". LMAO! Keep drinking the kool aid! It gets hot in Kansass!!!!!!!!!!!!
Behind every great power or great fortune was a great crime and betrayal. The great crime was when the cut throat opportunist imported Nazi brain power after the war. Brilliant men who just a year prior were creating weapons to kill Americans...not going to mention Prescott Bush and his back stabbing during WW2....

They embraced these Nazi innovators and brought them to America..they set them up- gave them money - nice homes and prime jobs..This evil was utilized and with the knowledge a super power was born. Weapons of mass destruction - rocketry evolved. I think you get my point- Britain was a nation of pirates and privateers...America was not about escaping oppression of the old empire...AMERICA was about setting up a separate enterprise of plunder...They did not escape their masters in 1776....they copied their masters and created their own operation....

Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Coddling anyone for anything is bad for everyone and everything except the coddlee.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM

20,721 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Have you heard of venture capitalism?
Why do they call it venture capitalism? Cause maybe its not all the same like our stupid tax laws imply?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:42 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Never mind "coddling."

About time we had a thread titled something like,

"Why Biting the Hand of the Rich is Stupid."

It's the rich that provides jobs and makes the world keep turning, YES, with our being willing to accept said employment opportunities.

Ya know, there's a lot more "rich" than the Wall St. gang. ahem...

Old 06-12-2012, 03:11 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Why do they call it venture capitalism? Cause maybe its not all the same like our stupid tax laws imply?
Venture means risk, which is an intrinsic aspect of capitalism.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:43 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Here is the local report. Why would a city CHOOSE to reduce fire protection resources?
Because they don't want to give up any of their power. Cities choose where to cut expenses. You will notice that none of them cut where they would give up power. So they cut fire protection services. But they could have cut a lot of other areas such as licensing barbers, policing store hours, policing product sales, regulating handicapped parking, policing pot consumption, policing prostitution and gambling, registration of all kinds of businesses, etc, etc. But they won't because that would mean a loss of power and politicians love power.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Actually, the only reason such vital resources gets cut is lack of money.
This is from the Reading Eagle, announcing the firing of 170 teachers:

Quote:
Rumors about impending teacher layoffs - a response to a $40 million budget deficit - had been circulating for months. And when the school board passed a tentative budget last month that called for 170 teaching positions to be cut, those in line for layoffs could see the writing on the wall.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Bad management is bad management. Capitalists who believe in social and economic Darwinism..which are most..have to face the fact that some de-evolve...and some have to step down. Or some are in a high position due to privilege and familiar entitlement- Those that inherit their high places...Genetics is strange- Just because your dad was a wizard in business and management of an empire does not mean you are..You may have inherited the brain of crazy old Aunt Martha the pill popping crazy cat lady...and would be better off fishing some where spending money than ruining an empire.
What is your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies