Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,896,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But aren't the average americans our fire fighters, police and teachers who get no respect. If not, who are the average americans you are talking about.
The average American is reacting to this much like Clara Peller once did on a famous commercial.

"Where is the money"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 07:09 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,556,521 times
The RW has destroyed private unions so now they are working to destroy public unions. The REA's consider Unions to be competitors and a drag on control and profits so they must be destroyed. I would sooner destroy corporate control of politics and the economy and have everyone in the One Big Union.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,611,330 times
Quote:
Who exactly are you calling leaches??.....firefighters, cops. teachers? Try doing their job for a week and come back to me with this uneducated response.
I'm pretty sure the positions you mention are VOLUNTARY.

They make decent money and their retirement is phenomenal.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:14 AM

37,744 posts, read 40,805,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Was flipping through some of the cable political shows tonite. Every Democratic guest mentioned firemen, teachers and cops suggesting more govt workers needed to hired as a stimulus plan. Never heard any other occupation mentioned.

After a while I thought they would break into song like in the Wizard of Oz!
They get talking points and then they all sing the same tune.

These aren't federal workers so the feds dump some money in initially, call it a stimilus and then a year from now the cities and towns that can't afford them are forced to lay them off.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,038,933 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by breaking into that song And what occupation would you want have to been mentioned. To me....firemen, teachers and cops are the heros in this country. They do so much for us with so little pay and accolades yet we expect so much from them. All some can do is criticize though
And that's precisely why liberals trot out the same old tired "what about the teachers and police and firefighters!" line everytime they think the public needs to be jolted into action. Because people like you are like "Oh my, those poor teachers and police and firefighters! Those evil conservatives are out to steal your jobs!!"

Basically, you've shown us exactly WHY liberals use these constituents as pawns because they know you'll come forth and parrot those talking points. The problem is, conservatives (and most Americans) can see right through it. Tugging on heart strings doesn't work anymore.....except with the rabid liberal base.....such as yourself. This old tactic is dead. You should inform your fellow Democrats to try something new.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,806,627 times
Quote:
To me....firemen, teachers and cops are the heros in this country.
I think the word hero is used too loosely, to be heroic I think you need to do something above and beyond what is expected of you. A police officer pulling someone from burning car where getting burned yourself is a given and death is possible is a heroic act. Most officers wouldn't do that and you can't blame them either. Having said that many police and fireman are very courageous and are performing jobs where their lives on the line. If the possibility of death in performing your job is the criteria there is many more dangerous jobs other than police and fireman. You're more likely to be killed clerking a convenience store, are they heroic?

Quote:
They do so much for us with so little pay..
Teachers, Fireman and many police officers make a very good living. My brother is a professional firefighter, trust me he's not starving. Many people would kill for the pay package and benefits he gets.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,706,153 times
To cut to the chase.

Most government employees are paid to do something for society. Some are heroes, some not, but they are there to serve. There is incompetence and graft in government, just as in industry, no argument, but most take pride their jobs.

When you are trapped in a twisted car, who is going to cut you out?

How about dowse the flames on you million dollar dream home in the woods of Montana?

How about test the water to ensure it is potable will not give your kids dysentery?

Do you think a "job creator" or a government employee is going to be saving your azz?

They deserve more respect.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:51 AM

468 posts, read 579,289 times
We don't need government workers. They just make life harder and more miserable. ALL misery in daily life is caused by some bureaucrat justifying his/he existenece by making rules/regulations for others to follow. HUGE GOVERNMENT BUREAUCRACY = death and destruction to everything they touch.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,411,888 times
Default Firemen, teachers and cops, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Was flipping through some of the cable political shows tonite. Every Democratic guest mentioned firemen, teachers and cops suggesting more govt workers needed to hired as a stimulus plan. Never heard any other occupation mentioned.

After a while I thought they would break into song like in the Wizard of Oz!

Teachers?

Yeah!

They're the ones who sank the economy, not Wall Street. It's those damn teachers with their 2003 Nissans and $35K retirements that are breaking the bank.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,790,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The average American is reacting to this much like Clara Peller once did on a famous commercial.

"Where is the money"?
Public sector unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies