Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Blue laws = Big government?
Yes, blue laws = big government 26 74.29%
No, blue laws = small government 9 25.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Everyday I hear conservatives talk about "smaller government"
It got me wondering.... are conservatives blue laws big government intrusion?
Yes, blue laws are big government intrusion. But they are not "conservative blue laws". Blue laws and thousands of other intrusive laws have nothing to do with conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Absolutely it's big government. The GOP pretends to be for small government, but in actuality they are for the complete opposite.

Just like the DEMs. They also support all of these intrusive laws.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wrong

its mot big governemt ..its county ordinances(sp?)

same as the speed limit on a residential street

has ZILCH to do with the FEDERAL government

has ZILCH to do with "big government" ..ie government spending.....in fact since its a restriction..its actually smaller government
Wrong. "Big Government" is a description of nanny state intrusion. It doesn't matter if it's federal, state or local.

Telling people when they can buy a product is "Big Government". Telling people what they can eat, drink or smoke is "Big Government" and it doesn't matter if it's federal, state or local.

And in most cases it's the DEMS that are pushing intrusive Big Government at all levels.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Blue Laws date back to the 17th century and the Puritans.
Southern states started enacting blue laws in the 1800's.

I doubt they thought about "big government" back then. One needs to read and understand history in it's context rather than try to inject "today's thinking" when it comes to asking why a law was enacted.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,086,577 times
Missouri and Ohio have recently enacted Blue Laws that seem to be solely designed to cripple the strip club industry.

Killed two birds with one stone.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 06-12-2012 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM

419 posts, read 364,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Really? Why do you think you are entitled to do whatever you want whenever you want? Why do you think you shouldn't plan ahead? Is it really that difficult?

I can see an alcoholic getting "mad" and not taking responsibility for planning. Is it youth, entitlement mentality, or alcoholism which is your excuse?

Have you spoken with your local legislative representative about writing a bill to overturn your blue laws as they pertain to liquor? Or, are you just mad?

I never said it was Difficult to plan ahead. I said I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to plan ahead because of some stupid law. Sometimes I want Wine to chill and relax on Sundays. I should be able to just hope in my car and go get it. I shouldn't have to plan.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Really? Why do you think you are entitled to do whatever you want whenever you want? Why do you think you shouldn't plan ahead? Is it really that difficult?
There is no reason that government at any level should tell me when I can buy or sell any products. There should be NO laws restricting business hours or days for any products whatsoever.

And yes, I am entitled to do whatever I want whenever I want (obviously unless it hurts others). Me buying a bottle of wine at 1 AM on Sunday should be nobody's business but mine. Me buying a new Chevy at 1 PM on Sunday should be nobody's business but mine.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
I never said it was Difficult to plan ahead. I said I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to plan ahead because of some stupid law. Sometimes I want Wine to chill and relax on Sundays. I should be able to just hope in my car and go get it. I shouldn't have to plan.
Correct. Or any other product.

Laws restricting product sales are perfect examples of the Big Government Nanny State.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is no reason that government at any level should tell me when I can buy or sell any products. There should be NO laws restricting business hours or days for any products whatsoever.

And yes, I am entitled to do whatever I want whenever I want (obviously unless it hurts others). Me buying a bottle of wine at 1 AM on Sunday should be nobody's business but mine. Me buying a new Chevy at 1 PM on Sunday should be nobody's business but mine.
Well, since these blue laws date back to the 1800's it means there was a reason at some point in time.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
The fact that I can't buy liquor on Sunday makes me mad.
Who would it hurt other than liquor store clerks or owners, who don't want to have to work on Sunday? That's surely where some of the lack of interest is coming from in changing the law so that liquor stores can open on Sunday. Their viewpoint must be I don't have to worry about my competition opening on Sunday and neither do I, and that's how I want things to stay.

Some states ban the sales of cars on Sunday. I still don't know who it would hurt, if a car dealer sold a car on Sunday, unless it goes back to car dealers who don't want to get out of bed on Sunday to open the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies