Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

While i think most rational countries and their leaders would avoid a nuclear conflict there are still some nut jobs out there who could cause a domino effect and drag the superpowers into a war.
then there's the unknown factors=

ALIEN SPACESHIPS TO ATTACK EARTH IN NOVEMBER 2012! | Weekly World News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While i think most rational countries and their leaders would avoid a nuclear conflict there are still some nut jobs out there who could cause a domino effect and drag the superpowers into a war.
then there's the unknown factors=

ALIEN SPACESHIPS TO ATTACK EARTH IN NOVEMBER 2012! | Weekly World News
This is something I can agree on, that's why the world needs to completely stop building nukes, destroy the codes to build them (maybe that's a little extreme), dismember them no matter the cost, and etc.

I'd say just for protection each of the Superpowers (really there's only one Superpower and that's the United States) limit themselves to around 100 nukes at the max. Avoid letting these things fall into the wrong hands because the MAD theory would become true very quickly.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Once the first nuclear weapon exploded pandoras box was opened. It will always be a threat. Just a question of who has them and how they could be delivered.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:59 AM

32 posts, read 60,705 times
I'm starting to get quite a bit concerned about this Syria situation. The US and Russia can't seem to agree on what to do, and The Sunday Times reports that a Russian missile shot down the Turkish F-4 and may have been fired by Russian technicians.

Also, am I wrong to be skeptical of Georgia not joining NATO? Didn't Merkel say NATO would let Georgia in? Haven't NATO and Georgia been "flirting" for a while?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
The most likely scenario is the same that existed during the "Cold War" an accidental launch based upon an erroneous detection of a nuclear attack from the U.S. or Russia. Both the U.S. and Russia have more than 2,000 strategic nuclear weapons aimed at each other.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 PM

32 posts, read 60,705 times
Sorry for continually bumping this thread, guys. I'm just scared. I look at all of these events going on in the world, like the recent sabre-rattling by Iran and the US over the Strait of Hormuz. I look at these events and wonder, "is this the one that will escalate to nuclear war?"

I just feel powerless. What, reasonably, can I do to help bring the world to zero nuclear weapons? I know there are petitions by Global Zero, the Ploughshares Fund, etc. But is there anything else? Any suggestions?

Old 03-01-2014, 06:42 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Most likely the threat would come from a maniac with nukes.
Who is the greater maniac: Putin or Obama?

I guess it depends on who wants Ukraine more...

Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Item #5 in your list reveals the true nature of your question.

People, please don't feed the troll.
The OP should not have mentioned Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin, I believe both of them love their families too much to do anything destructive.

But the following is a real danger,

5.) An end-times fundamentalist gets his/her hands on a nuclear arsenal.

Many Christians actually want/desire the Apocalypse, the end times, or Armageddon. They actually want all life on this planet to end so they can be with Jesus sooner. I have learned these people actually exist from the Bill Maher documentary "Religious."

If a Christian who desired the Apocalypse/Armageddon to happen was in power, during a time of nuclear war tension, their desires for Armageddon could (perhaps) cause them to make irrational decisions in the use of large numbers of nuclear weapons.

To prove this is a real danger consider the following,

"President Bush told two high-ranking Palestinian officials that he had been told by God to invade Afghanistan and Iraq and then create a Palestinian state to bring peace to the Middle East."

Bush said God told him to invade Iraq, Arab leaders say / Palestinian officials confirm comments from documentary - SFGate

Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
"Is nuclear war still a threat?"

Always...............

Old 03-01-2014, 09:09 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
as long as the nuclear knowledge and the physical weapons exist their is always a threat of nuclear war.. I'm sure japan didn't think a 48 foot tsunami would inundate the Fukushima nuclear power plant that was elevated only 25 feet above sea level, with 6 reactors and 4000 plus tons of spent fuel rods... basically Fukushima could have been thousands of times worse if all those spent fuel rods were exposed and all that zircon coating caught on fire!!! It can happen, we cant control nature and the will of the most destructive spicies on the planet!!! yes the only species that threatens all other species including himself..

well if it does happen I want to be at the epicenter of one of the blast.!!! don't want to be around when all masses go ballistic after such a scenario...!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies