Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Blah blah blah.

We are a majority Christian nation. I shouldn't have to (and won't) dig up the statistics to prove this to you. Just because your feelings are hurt doesn't mean that I, or anyone else, will cater to you. Fortunately, the Court decided you and your ilk aren't winning the "under God" debate. Go back to your corner and cry some more with the other vile, disgusting atheists who find solace in empty platitudes.
Being majority Christian doesn't mean ****, or do you think we should reinstate Jim Crow cause we're majority white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
again, so what.

we do not and are not ruled by the majority, so your "statistics" is bupkis

No one is "catering" to anyone. the addition of "under god" to the pledge was to cater to the reglious.

Actually wrong. The courts have ruled that the "under god" in the pledge "ceremonial and patriotic nature" and did not constitute an establishment of religion" (Newdow v. Rio Linda Union School District.)

But, the original intention of adding "Under God" was to "establish" a recognition of religion. This is where the constant repetition of a term or phrase had rendered the original "reason" and intention moot.

Much like how people do not say "make a copy' they say "go make a xerox" of that paper. Xerox is a brand, not a verb.

and here we see the root of your hatred.
How do you do that? I mean cut up the quote like that?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
again, so what.

we do not and are not ruled by the majority, so your "statistics" is bupkis

No one is "catering" to anyone. the addition of "under god" to the pledge was to cater to the reglious.

Actually wrong. The courts have ruled that the "under god" in the pledge "ceremonial and patriotic nature" and did not constitute an establishment of religion" (Newdow v. Rio Linda Union School District.)

But, the original intention of adding "Under God" was to "establish" a recognition of religion. This is where the constant repetition of a term or phrase had rendered the original "reason" and intention moot.

Much like how people do not say "make a copy' they say "go make a xerox" of that paper. Xerox is a brand, not a verb.

and here we see the root of your hatred.
How do you do that? I mean cut up the quote like that?

It doesn't show in this one

Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 AM

16,670 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Our forefathers were christian.
Some of them were, but positively NOT all of them. They active ones who wrote the founding documents were certainly not active Christians. Some historians think Franklin would have called himself an atheist, but that term would have gotten him a short rope tied to a high tree. Jefferson rewrote part of the Bible to take out the miracles and other stuff he found too incredible to believe. He was probably a deist. Check on the religious affiliations of Madison, 'Washington, Payne, etc. The ones who actually wrote the Constitution were not active mainstream Christians, and they were very careful to create a secular government.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:04 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Some of them were, but positively NOT all of them. They active ones who wrote the founding documents were certainly not active Christians. Some historians think Franklin would have called himself an atheist, but that term would have gotten him a short rope tied to a high tree. Jefferson rewrote part of the Bible to take out the miracles and other stuff he found too incredible to believe. He was probably a deist. Check on the religious affiliations of Madison, 'Washington, Payne, etc. The ones who actually wrote the Constitution were not active mainstream Christians, and they were very careful to create a secular government.
Exactly! The whole point of this country and Constitiution which our forefathers created, was to have a country free of any religious influence, control and manipulation. Several of them were Christians, but they believed their individual beliefs were their own private business. No one else's business. They wanted to give everyone the freedom to pary, worship and belive in whatever religion they choose to. But in their own private spirituality, on their own privacy. Not on the public, state and federal levels.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,082 times
I wouldn't mind the words "Under God" being stricken from the pledge. Not that it's doing much good there anyway. Eisenhower decided to add it in for whatever reason when it actually goes against the other religions some might have. That was one of the big reasons I hardly ever said it high school 10 years ago - I was agnostic and me saying "Under God" went against that belief, thus I refused to say it. Not to mention it was well within my Constitutional right to do so.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:00 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,145,375 times
Just heard on the evening news that christians are the most obese group in the US...Baptists lead the way to the trough.

Maybe their slogan should be "In Weight Watchers We Trust"

It should have as much affect as the old platitude...

BTW, isn't gluttony a "sin"?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Just heard on the evening news that christians are the most obese group in the US...Baptists lead the way to the trough.

Maybe their slogan should be "In Weight Watchers We Trust"

It should have as much affect as the old platitude...

BTW, isn't gluttony a "sin"?
This is off topic and doesn't in any way shape or form contribute to the thread itself.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:07 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,145,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
This is off topic and doesn't in any way shape or form contribute to the thread itself.
Of course it's on topic, I'm just suggesting an equally stupid and ineffectual platitude for Christians to repeat..

Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Of course it's on topic, I'm just suggesting an equally stupid and ineffectual platitude for Christians to repeat..
If you say so.

Getting back on topic, is it really that big of a deal if the words "Under God" are stricken out of a secular pledge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies