Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:45 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
I never said the government, it's mainly insurance companies, banks, investment firms, employers, third parties. This will be my last post as folks have their opinions, sharing of information and data collection are very specifically spelled out in the 3 articles I cited, it's been going on for many years and the fact that it is happening prompted the government to pass legislation to force disclosure of exactly how companies share information, otherwise they would never reveal it. I think our society is being more manipulated and controlled then ever, and it's simply hard to believe for many people.
This is what you said originally:
"Whenever you use a credit card, supermarket card, debit card or any other kind of plastic to buy food or drink, it's being added to a profile under your name. Thousands of supermarket chains, and other retailers share/sell info on what you buy. Guess who is the biggest buyer? Insurance companies! They grade your risk for life, car, home and disability insurance on a variety of factors you don't even know about, but they also look at the food you eat and the beverages you consume."

None of your 3 links indicated this.

Do the grocery stores track what we buy? Obviously! How else would we get coupons Kleenex when we've just bought Scott tissues? Will they sell it? Probably.

Is there actually a profile somewhere with my name on it that is continually updated with things like the ice cream I bought at the grocery store last night? I doubt it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 03:23 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,480,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

Is there actually a profile somewhere with my name on it that is continually updated with things like the ice cream I bought at the grocery store last night? I doubt it....
I'm betting that there probably is a profile like that on some sort of database (even if it's just your own grocery store/pharmacy) - they have the products you buy, the house you own/rent, any medications you're taking for various health conditions, your telephone number, where you work and your job title (assuming you're on something like linkedin), your approximate income, etc., etc.

"They" (ie: marketers) know all about you. Or at least they have enough info about you to know what to market to you and they know what products to stock in their stores.

I doubt that the insurance companies are tracking whether or not you're buying Twinkies and Bud. Even if you buy that stuff every day, there's no way for them to know if *you* are the one consuming it. But who knows...

Old 06-13-2012, 03:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
I never said the government, it's mainly insurance companies, banks, investment firms, employers, third parties. This will be my last post as folks have their opinions, sharing of information and data collection are very specifically spelled out in the 3 articles I cited, it's been going on for many years and the fact that it is happening prompted the government to pass legislation to force disclosure of exactly how companies share information, otherwise they would never reveal it. I think our society is being more manipulated and controlled then ever, and it's simply hard to believe for many people.
Not only did you include the government, but you named this thread with the phrase "Big Brother." Big Brother is the Orwellian term for...

dun dun dun..

The Government.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Exactly. I'm Joe Blow at 123 Consumer Ave, they don't care whats on that thing when you turn it in.

I believe the credit card companies receive a transaction amount, they know the store and that $x was spent, they don't get a grocery receipt saying candy was purchased.
I always pay with cash anyway.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:04 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Mod Note: Moving this from Food and Drink to P & OC. Thank you.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Whenever you use a credit card, supermarket card, debit card or any other kind of plastic to buy food or drink, it's being added to a profile under your name. Thousands of supermarket chains, and other retailers share/sell info on what you buy. Guess who is the biggest buyer? Insurance companies! They grade your risk for life, car, home and disability insurance on a variety of factors you don't even know about, but they also look at the food you eat and the beverages you consume. If you buy a lot of high fat, high salt foods, fast food, alcohol, cigarettes, etc., and are using plastic, it goes on your profile. So although you may get discounts with some supermarket cards, beware, there's all kinds of information being gathered every time we swipe. Bottom line, don't use plastic for tobacco products, alcohol or fast food, use cash. Also beware of getting discount gas/food cards that require scanning your driver's license, that info is also sold and shared with other companies.

you use a credit card?

I dont, dont have those discount cards, no flyers or antthing else. when they ask for a zip code i either give them my zip code from wher i grew up (09019) or just tell them no thank you. I do my best to give out as little information as possible.

I pay cash as much as possible, harder to track cash, if the store doesn take cash, I leave the items on the register and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies