Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:05 PM

786 posts, read 1,586,190 times

Advertisements

Whenever you use a credit card, supermarket card, debit card or any other kind of plastic to buy food or drink, it's being added to a profile under your name. Thousands of supermarket chains, and other retailers share/sell info on what you buy. Guess who is the biggest buyer? Insurance companies! They grade your risk for life, car, home and disability insurance on a variety of factors you don't even know about, but they also look at the food you eat and the beverages you consume. If you buy a lot of high fat, high salt foods, fast food, alcohol, cigarettes, etc., and are using plastic, it goes on your profile. So although you may get discounts with some supermarket cards, beware, there's all kinds of information being gathered every time we swipe. Bottom line, don't use plastic for tobacco products, alcohol or fast food, use cash. Also beware of getting discount gas/food cards that require scanning your driver's license, that info is also sold and shared with other companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:21 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,077,093 times
Oh goody goody...just what I want....my information to go to every outlet it can.....

Old 06-12-2012, 02:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,517,631 times
oh no!!! they are going to know that i get the deals so i pay low low prices!!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM

16,895 posts, read 16,029,267 times
Oh yeah..........my insurance rates are just skyrocketing ever since I went to the store.
No, really.....my whole life has changed because of that.
LOL! Oh, brother.....

Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,077,093 times
As I used to work for an insurance company I know that they use your credit rating to rate your house and automobiles....if your credit rate gets worse your rates skyrocket on your renewal and some states even use it to cancel people....they think persons with bad credit will burn their house or purposely have a wreck as a way to get money....this use of credit ratings should be banned!!!! Just because a person gets in trouble financially doesn't mean they are going to burn their house or have a wreck on purpose!!!! Some actuaries at insurance companies must think with their hind ends.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,231,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
Whenever you use a credit card, supermarket card, debit card or any other kind of plastic to buy food or drink, it's being added to a profile under your name. Thousands of supermarket chains, and other retailers share/sell info on what you buy. Guess who is the biggest buyer? Insurance companies! They grade your risk for life, car, home and disability insurance on a variety of factors you don't even know about, but they also look at the food you eat and the beverages you consume. If you buy a lot of high fat, high salt foods, fast food, alcohol, cigarettes, etc., and are using plastic, it goes on your profile. So although you may get discounts with some supermarket cards, beware, there's all kinds of information being gathered every time we swipe. Bottom line, don't use plastic for tobacco products, alcohol or fast food, use cash. Also beware of getting discount gas/food cards that require scanning your driver's license, that info is also sold and shared with other companies.
Could we get some kind of cites for this? Something preferably middle-of-the-road legitimate and not hysterical on either side of the issue, pushing an agenda?

(Trying to imagine the computing power/storage necessary to keep track of this for every person in the country on a continuing basis. Makes my head hurt.)

Old 06-12-2012, 02:37 PM

i bought a quart of ice cream a few days ago and i just got a letter from my health insurance provider that they are increasing my premium!!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,865,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Could we get some kind of cites for this? Something preferably middle-of-the-road legitimate and not hysterical on either side of the issue, pushing an agenda?

(Trying to imagine the computing power/storage necessary to keep track of this for every person in the country on a continuing basis. Makes my head hurt.)
You took the words out of my mouth, we need some credible links.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,545,529 times
Well Ill tell you one thing they must be having a heart attack every month when they see my Amex bill from Costco.

12 rotisserie chickens
11 bags of salad
10 rack of ribs
9 Pepperoni pizza's ( on special this month BTW)
8 Gallons of non fat
7 dozen eggs
6 pounds of frozen veggie

FIVE CASES OF BEER!!

4 frozen lasagnas
3 bags of chicken wings
2 pkgs of TP

And a Set of Michelin Tires!!!!!

Not really but it seems like it. Damn locust teenagers.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM

i bought some lube at the pharmacy and the next day i get an overnight delivery of condoms courtesy of my health insurance provider!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies