Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Jeb is wrong, Regan's message and his ideas were solid back in the 1960s, and they are solid today as well. Reagan would have easily won the republican primary.

Jeb is just one of those Republicans who would give up before the fight even began. Jeb would be in favor of giving the opposing team a three point advantage, during the coin flip.

Do you REALLY think Ronald Reagan was a Conservative?

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:38 AM

800 posts, read 781,212 times
I like what he says. The religious right have hijacked the party and have made it incredibly difficult for an electable candidate in terms of the general election to get nominated.

I believe social issues are state issues and should be decided by them. I can't stand the federal government using categorical grants to force the states what to do, the Obama administration has been absolutely abhorrent in this capacity.

This is a UNION of states, not administrative divisions like in other countries. But we seem to forget.

Healthcare, gay marriage, abortion etc. are all things that should be decided at the state level without interference from Washington.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:47 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Who cares if Reagan or Bush 1 could or couldn't get elected today? Why does that matter? It doesn't. What matters is that the people are tired of Diluted Conservatism by it's elected representatives. That's why the moderates have been purged from Congress, and will continue to be purged. Regarding the Presidency, American's are comfortable with a centrist President, because the system of checks and balances is designed specifically to keep the President in check. Barack Obama has been stymied by the checks and balances due to the purging of moderates. Mitt Romney will be kept in check as well. That's the American system in action, and it's a beautiful thing.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:53 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
It will be interesting to watch Jeb. I think he knows he will never be President, so he may be trying to carve out some sort of new role for himself. Pundit, maybe.

I agree with what he says. The GOP has taken on fascist tones, with way too much belligerance and intolerance for the other 70% of society, and the whole rest of the world. I don't really think Romney is so crazy, but given his flip floppy personality, I don't think he will be able to manage the rabid pit bulls that have infested the GOP lately. Too risky.

I think a lot of Americans will agree with me and Jeb this fall.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you not feel a bit of embarrassment posting something like this when it describes both parties?

Do the Dems kowtow to corporate America? Sure they do. Do they promote the corporate agenda at all costs? Not so much.

Are they in bed with the religious right lunatics? Not at all.

Do you feel at all embarrassed by suggesting they are?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Do the Dems kowtow to corporate America? Sure they do. Do they promote the corporate agenda at all costs? Not so much.
Over the last 3 years, the stock market has rebounded, profits are up, bonuses have been restored. Housing is still falling, unemployment is starting back up and wages are stagnant.

Yes, so much.

Quote:
Are they in bed with the religious right lunatics? Not at all.
We could discuss this but I rarely start off when we have a statement where someone calls someone a name simply because they disagree with them.

(which if you didn't notice, makes my point for me here)

Quote:
Do you feel at all embarrassed by suggesting they are?
I fully stand behind my statement.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Imagine if in the 1980s the Democratic Congress were dominated by my way or nothing loons as todays GOP now is and not even willing to talk.

Imagine if the Democratic Congress decided to not compromise and had told Reagan to go **** himself....

How far we have sunk.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Imagine if in the 1980s the Democratic Congress were dominated by my way or nothing loons as todays GOP now is and not even willing to talk.

Imagine if the Democratic Congress decided to not compromise and had told Reagan to go **** himself....

How far we have sunk.
Reagan worked with them when they promised cuts. Those cuts never came so they lost any credibility of being able to honestly work together.

Reagan said that taking them on their word was one of his biggest regrets. That is why when it's proposed that we spend now with cuts later its automatically dismissed.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Bascially I would say that the thoiguht of a left wing Obam type democrat wouldn't even be considered in the same times. perhaps one only has to lo at MC Cai to see what Obam's policies have resulted in as far as reactions for voters. The Tea Party wasn't a movemnt that grew out of the republican party really. Its more like the anti-war democratic mobement of the 60's. Lookig at state house results from resent elections its a new trend just as powerful as the 60's shift .

Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Over the last 3 years, the stock market has rebounded, profits are up, bonuses have been restored. Housing is still falling, unemployment is starting back up and wages are stagnant.
Because we're still operating under the rules of the Bush economy.

Quote:
We could discuss this but I rarely start off when we have a statement where someone calls someone a name simply because they disagree with them.

(which if you didn't notice, makes my point for me here)
If you identify with the religious right, then make any religious point you'd care to.

I strongly oppose their attempts to dictate morality. Their viewpoint that their opinions are not opinions, but holy commandments directed to them by an angry middle eastern deity shouldn't be given serious consideration in a democratic republic, either by the media or a major political party.

Quote:
I fully stand behind my statement.

Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies