Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 03:05 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You call it snubbing our national language? Why? It was a graduation speech, not a political statement. There was nothing particularly special about him saying something in Spanish there. Don't worry, it's just that some of the smartest kids graduating speak more than one language and that's not likely to change in the future. And "setting a presidence" is a legal thing, not a kids in high school thing. He had permission.
And he shouldn't have been given permission to snub his fellow graduates nor should he have chosen to do that. I can't believe that you don't think he was being rude. No one has said it was a political statement. Whether some of his peers chose to be bi-lingual or not is not the issue and no American should be condemned for not learning a foreign language. This graduation wasn't about the parents or just about HIS parents. It was about the graduates as a group collectively and not just about him either. He made this just about himself and his parents and that was rude and inconsiderate.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:13 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,325,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

You asked for it, you got it!

Leave the gate open for too long, unchecked illegal immigration, the proof is that "they" (Spanish speakers) will definitely think they can do whatever they want around here because nobody has ever enforced the law.
Was he an illegal? I didn't read that in the article.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Was he an illegal? I didn't read that in the article.
I'm guessing that he was probably an illegal or an anchor baby since his parents didn't speak English. However, it was his rudeness that was objectionable and that is what this topic is about. Many Hispanics whether they be legal or illegal don't want to learn or speak English which is evidenced by his parents.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:42 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Quoting from the link

Quote:
Jessie Ceja, the principal at Orestimba High School in Newman, Calif., said the valedictorian had earned the right to deliver the speech any way he saw fit.
“The student earned the right as valedictorian, I feel, and if he felt that way I decided to give him that opportunity,” Ceja told Mattos Newspapers.
The student, Saul Tello, Jr. said he wanted to deliver a Spanish and English language version of his speech – but the district said there was only time to deliver one.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:52 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,242,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The problem is that it sets a presidence for future grads to be rude and snub our national language. Where does it end? I am tired of the PC in this country that includes rudeness to others and disrespecting our national language.
Hopefully, you mean "precedent" instead of "presidence."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You call it snubbing our national language? Why? It was a graduation speech, not a political statement. There was nothing particularly special about him saying something in Spanish there. Don't worry, it's just that some of the smartest kids graduating speak more than one language and that's not likely to change in the future. And "setting a presidence" is a legal thing, not a kids in high school thing. He had permission.
Unfortunately, "setting a presidence" is not exactly a phrase that's commonly used in jurisprudence; however, "setting a precedent" can be found in plenty of legal documents.

Ironically, most folks that speak Spanish probably know the difference between "precedente" (precedent) and "presidencia" (presidence)...

Old 06-14-2012, 04:56 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,675,828 times
Maybe they should do with translation

Old 06-14-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Hopefully, you mean "precedent" instead of "presidence."

Unfortunately, "setting a presidence" is not exactly a phrase that's commonly used in jurisprudence; however, "setting a precedent" can be found in plenty of legal documents.

Ironically, most folks that speak Spanish probably know the difference between "precedente" (precedent) and "presidencia" (presidence)...
Yes, I spelled it wrong, Kill me now.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Quoting from the link
In another part of that article that was disputed by someone else. They said he never asked to deliver his speech in both languages. He just wanted it in Spanish and was given permission to do so. Also, after reading the translation of his speech from Spanish to English most of his words were directed at his fellow graduates of which many of them (English speakers) didn't even get to know what he said. There was only a short thank you to his parents in it and yet he felt the need to give the whole speech in Spanish? I got the impression from his speech that he is a Dreamie. In otherwords his parents brought him here illegally and the fact they didn't speak English is all the more reason to suspect that. Wouldn't doubt that was kept hush-hush for PC, you know.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,242,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, I spelled it wrong, Kill me now.
You didn't spell "presidence" wrong, you just used it incorrectly.

English isn't exactly the easiest language to learn and even native speakers make mistakes.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:09 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Maybe the valedictorian thing has changed since I graduated but at my high school it was the student with the highest academic achievement representing the student body.
I guess now its just another "all about me" speech.
Guess I'm from the good ole days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.