Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:09 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Absolutely disgusting that an American could harbor these sentiments. NATIVISTS??? How about AMERICAN's in an AMERICAN school?? **** his parents. If they want to understand, get a ****ing translator. Such a vile, disgusting ideology you harbor. I think i'll go puke now.
I think I will join you. Imagine if this were to happen in Mexico where most of the students only spoke Spanish and a non-hispanic white guy got up and delivered his speech in English rather than Spanish even when he knew how to speak Spanish.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I really had to laugh at this post:

"I can't believe that posters are seriously suggesting that the student should have disrespected his own parents just to appease the English only nativists".

His parents were Spanish only nativists, weren't they? Oh, the hypocricy, lol.
The idea that this graduate had the nerve to diss the entire graduation class and their parents in favor of only two people (his parents) and it being called being disrespectful to HIS parents if he hadn't delivered the speech in Spanish just for them is bizarre to say the least.
Left wing thinking for you. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
From the article:

"Jessie Ceja, the principal at Orestimba High School in Newman, Calif. where the graduation was held" Hmm. isn't Ceja a Hispanic surname? The plot thickens.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I can't believe that posters are seriously suggesting that the student should have disrespected his own parents just to appease the English only nativists.
Uh; if things were the other way in Mexico with a kid speaking English instead of Spanish, the Mexicans WOULD be mad and who'd blame them?

It's a slap in my face allowing a kid to use any language other than English at a grad ceremony like described.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
This is a perfect example of some people making a mountain out of a molehill.

Sure, it would have been nice for the valedictorian to give his speech in English. That's my native language, and I'd understand what he's saying a lot better than I would in Spanish.

But seriously, it's a graduation speech for a young man who worked really hard throughout his school career. Save the faux outrage for something important.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Better yet his parents should have had their own translator from English to Spanish rather than imposing this nonsense on all the other students and their parents. The graduate obviously didn't consider them at all and it was their day.

I do think that in moving to the U.S., his parents should have accepted that their son is going to be going to an English-speaking school and therefore delivering his speech in English, to all the English-speaking graduates and their families. His parents could have hired their own interpreters to interpret into Spanish. This would have been accommodating to everyone in the most appropriate way.

In an attempt to remove the immigrant politics from this issue, allow me to make an analogy to my school. Everyone at my school uses American Sign Language to communicate. 95% of the students are Deaf and don't have access to spoken English. When I graduate, if hypothetically-speaking, I were to be valedictorian, I would deliver my speech in ASL, even though my parents are hearing, speak English, and don't know ASL. I chose to go to an ASL-speaking school, and they understood that when I applied and got accepted. On graduation day, it would be about the people at my school all graduating first and foremost, and not about my parents. So the most appropriate way to accommodate everyone would be for me to deliver the speech in ASL--the mainstream language of our school--and provide my parents with personal ASL-English interpreters. If I were to try to deliver my speech in English, it would be met with outrage from the community, and rightly so.

Of course, if this were a Spanish-speaking school, even within the U.S., then I wouldn't have any problem with it. It's not about the country so much as it is about the school culture and the language that the school community shares.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times
Quote:
A California school district is defending its decision to allow a valedictorian to deliver his graduation speech entirely in Spanish even though many people in the audience only spoke English and felt excluded from the ceremony.

Spanish Graduation Speech Enrages Community | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes
Free country, you don't have to listen to peoples speech. Limbaugh makes comments that enrage millions of people, don't hear you moaning about it.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
This is a perfect example of some people making a mountain out of a molehill.

Sure, it would have been nice for the valedictorian to give his speech in English. That's my native language, and I'd understand what he's saying a lot better than I would in Spanish.

But seriously, it's a graduation speech for a young man who worked really hard throughout his school career. Save the faux outrage for something important.
Personally I'd be seriously pissed if I had been graduating that day.
While I know that most students honor their parents in speeches, the speech is meant to celebrate the class. It was extremely selfish to give a speech that not everyone could understand.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
A prime example as to why every state should amend their constitution to make 'English' as the official and only language to be spoken and written.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
very political and in very bad taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies