Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 AM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Lately, I am hearing people frustrated that no one wants to mentioned Black people committing disproportionately more violent crimes than other ethnicity. Well, something else is frustrating me. Few people ever mention the fact that Black people are the most likely to be victimized by violent crime committed by Black people. In short, Black on Black crime. If you do the research, Black on Black murders make up the majority of murders in this nation. Yes, Black people are committing those murders. No argument there. However, it is Black people being murdered. Many of the threads I've seen, it talks about Blacks being net perpetrators of crime, particularly violent crimes. However, rarely is the rate of Black victimization rate ever discussed. Some people mention it. Jesse Jackson is mentioning it now. However, I feel that this is something that should be discussed because I feel I should bring to light who gets victimized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Lately, I am hearing people frustrated that no one wants to mentioned Black people committing disproportionately more violent crimes than other ethnicity.
I live in a big city, Chicago, where everybody I interact with understands who the principal victims of crime are in the city. They're black and hispanic, victimized by people of the same color. Relatively few "white" people are victimized and, therefore, those not directly impacted just don't care what others are doing to themselves.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I live in a big city, Chicago, where everybody I interact with understands who the principal victims of crime are in the city. They're black and hispanic, victimized by people of the same color. Relatively few "white" people are victimized and, therefore, those not directly impacted just don't care what others are doing to themselves.
That is just as sad as the people committing those crimes. I hear more people speak up if there are hate crimes involved. If a Black man kills a White man, there will be people to bring it up on the forums here. If a Black man gets killed by a White man or a Hispanic man, it will be mentioned here. However, Black on Black crime, which makes up the vast majority of Blacks being murdered in this nation, there is alot of silence. People mention Black crime when non-Black people get affected, and its rarely mentioned if a Black victim is involved.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:38 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Valid point. It's weird sort of apathy. I believe white people do care about black-on-black crime, but I don't think most white people know what they can do to actually help the problem. As a white person, I can say that I view it as a problem that black people need to get under control themselves. I can't make a person graduate high school....I can't make a person not impregnate 3 different women.....I can't make a person not commit crime.....I can't make a person not have multiple children out of wedlock, etc. All the sordid statistics......those are out of my control. It's the individual's responsibility to be personally responsible citizens.

There's a culture crisis in the black community. At this point in time, it looks like only black people can solve the problems, because the problems are of their own making.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Valid point. It's weird sort of apathy. I believe white people do care about black-on-black crime, but I don't think most white people know what they can do to actually help the problem. As a white person, I can say that I view it as a problem that black people need to get under control themselves. I can't make a person graduate high school....I can't make a person not impregnate 3 different women.....I can't make a person not commit crime.....I can't make a person not have multiple children out of wedlock, etc. All the sordid statistics......those are out of my control. It's the individual's responsibility to be personally responsible citizens.

There's a culture crisis in the black community. At this point in time, it looks like only black people can solve the problems, because the problems are of their own making.
You can't make a person graduate from high school or not commit murder. However I do feel like there is alot of distortion involved when people talk about crime.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times
Given what is known about how a majority of P&OC posters feel about black people in general and the issue of what they do to other blacks... ... well, Ill do what I can to help, but I can't see that there will be a whole lot of empathy for the plight of the black community in this forum.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,150 times
More blacks then any other race fall into the "culture of violence". Most of these murders fall into gang, drug, or retaliation categories which for the most part fall into the culture of violence group.

If you were to separate differently, such as blacks killing black outside of the culture of violence, the numbers are going to be way different. Significantly smaller. Probably close to the black on white.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:42 AM

537 posts, read 818,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Lately, I am hearing people frustrated that no one wants to mentioned Black people committing disproportionately more violent crimes than other ethnicity. Well, something else is frustrating me. Few people ever mention the fact that Black people are the most likely to be victimized by violent crime committed by Black people. In short, Black on Black crime. If you do the research, Black on Black murders make up the majority of murders in this nation. Yes, Black people are committing those murders. No argument there. However, it is Black people being murdered. Many of the threads I've seen, it talks about Blacks being net perpetrators of crime, particularly violent crimes. However, rarely is the rate of Black victimization rate ever discussed. Some people mention it. Jesse Jackson is mentioning it now. However, I feel that this is something that should be discussed because I feel I should bring to light who gets victimized.
This seems to be a recurring issue. For the last several decades, black people--in particular young black men--are both the most likely perpetrators and the most likely victims of crimes. I think this is an issue that goes back several centuries to the slavery era. For so long, black people have been subject to violence and denied the promise of a good life that even many years after the end of slavery and the civil rights era, that cycle of violence continues. It's my theory that many young black men fear success because success is such a new and recent phenomena for the black community. So, many of them are psychologically trapped in poverty as well as physically.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Given what is known about how a majority of P&OC posters feel about black people in general and the issue of what they do to other blacks... ... well, Ill do what I can to help, but I can't see that there will be a whole lot of empathy for the plight of the black community in this forum.
I'm pretty sure there's empathy for the plight of the black community. But, what can be done to stop black on black violence by anyone other than the black community who commits those crimes? What can **you** or **me** do to stop such raging violence?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
All you can do is what you can do. Given my resources, all I can do is to condemn crimes of all kinds, educate people about violence, and to voice my concerns about violence affecting Black people. A Black victim is no less important than a White victim, or a Hispanic victim, or victims of any other ethnicity. Every victim is important. This is why I am voicing my concerns. My concerns are that people distort things, how it seems that alot of people really don't care if Black people get murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies