Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Great. We'll make sure your neighbor puts one on his/her lawn with an arrow pointing at your house, whether you have a gun or not.
Honey, I live so far out of town that my closest neighbor is 1/2 a mile away.

We ALL have guns out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

This has been floating around the gun boards for years, but I don't recall it being discussed here. We seem to have a lot of anti-self defense posters here, figured it was worth while to see if any of them had a problem with it.
I'd put up a sign that read, "Beware False Advertising."

[buyer beware]

Old 06-13-2012, 11:43 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Well yeah, but I think there might be one or two liberal robbers who would think that a gator was no more than those on The Swamp. Maybe liberals just don't watch that show.
Lame. I don't watch that show, but I do keep 26 snakes in my little apartment - along with a 40lb dog and three rather useless cats. So I may not be armed, but if you can get past the dog and pythons have at it! I've considered getting a sign that reads "This home is protected by hungry pythons," if not for the fact that my landlord doesn't know they live here. LOL

P.S. I'm actually a liberal Libertarian, and really don't care if you have (legal) guns... I just choose not to have them myself.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-13-2012 at 11:52 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Lame. I don't watch that show, but I do keep 26 snakes in my little apartment - along with a 40lb dog and three rather useless cats. So I may not be armed, but if you can get past the dog and pythons have at it! I've considered getting a sign that reads "This home is protected by hungry pythons," if not for the fact that my landlord doesn't know they live here. LOL

P.S. I'm actually a liberal Libertarian, and really don't care if you have (legal) guns... I just choose not to have them myself.
Pythons? Nice. Certainly not my style, but fascinating creatures when observed from a safe distance. READ: "When not in my home!" I'll be watching the news for headlines of a burglar who is strangled by a python! Hopefully you never have to bring the force of your reptilian security system to bear, but if so, we'll be here for moral support!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:15 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Your dogs. The burglars bring a couple of steaks, and the dogs practically open the front door for them.
My younger dog absolutely. My older dog no.

And yes I know this for a fact.

My house was vacant for a year before I bought it. It was still having some work done when my dog and I moved in. First night a guy opens the kitchen sink window, reaches in to throw the dog some treats and she latches on to his arm (when ibgot diwn stairs ahe was standing in the counter) and didn't let go until the police got there (which was only a minute or two after I called 911).

Police show up and this kid still had his arm in the window up to the shoulder. Turns out he was after tools and stuff he thought the construction guys would have left lying around.

Apparently she almost broke his arm. And this is a 50 lb border collie.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:19 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

The more I read this crap, the more I fear that most gun owners are immature, irresponsible jerks.
I had no real opinion about gun ownership, but the more idiot gun owners I encounter are changing my mind for me.

I disagree, the idiot gun owners on CD certainly yap like they would.
They are mostly angry and wish harm on those who don't want to be armed.
Legal gun owners are some of the most law-abiding citizens you will find. Most do not wish to draw attention to themselves because 2nd Amendment rights are continually under assault recently. The vast majority of gun owners that are out there know this and will not give the government any more ammo (get it? ) to strip away gun rights. Most gun retailers have extensive links to state and federal laws to educate their customers on legal gun ownership. Many offer safety courses that stress the importance of restraint.

The sign that started this thread is a humorous commentary not about non-gun owners, but about ANTI-gun owners. There is a big difference. Forums such as this provide the gun owner a place to vent frustration and laugh about stuff like the sign and the lunacy of anti-gun owners, but no gun owner that I've ever met would post such a sign. This is because not only are most gun owners decent neighbors, but they also do not like to draw attention to themselves. Guns are an investment that hold their value and in today's economy only an idiot would advertise that they are sitting on an "arsenal of gold" alerting would be burglars of a potential big payoff.

Lastly, I do not doubt that radical gun owners are out there. I would argue that these are the exception. If you think all gun owners fit your description above, you have either judged a VERY LARGE segment of the population off of a VERY SMALL sample, you simply have selective memory and choose not to remember the responsible and sensible gun owners you've met, or you know hundreds of gun owners who simply don't mention it because they do not draw attention to themselves with respect to their gun ownership.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
As long as I can post the following on my lawn:

ATTENTION:
My Next Door Neighbor
Is a Gun-Hoarding
Conspiracy Theorist RWNJ
Who Has A Serious
Chemical Imbalance Problem
DON'T Sell Him Fertilizer or Rent Him a Truck!

Otherwise I figure it's none of my neighbor's f***ing bidness what side of the gun debate I stand on.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:32 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

This has been floating around the gun boards for years, but I don't recall it being discussed here. We seem to have a lot of anti-self defense posters here, figured it was worth while to see if any of them had a problem with it.
I would say that if this was posted anywhere near my house I would consider it an invasion of my privacy. We have a Pit Bull so would it be ok if I were to post "We have a Pit Bull on the premises and my neighbor is anti Pit Bull and doesn't have one. So, should someone break in our home and the Pit does her job, should I let her protect my neighbor as well?"...nutz. Problem I have with guns is that if you do have one, and we do, you should be aware that if someone does break in you will have to probably critically injure that person in order to save your family. Can you do that? I have no issue letting our Pit protect us that is for sure.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:38 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,873 times
I guess I could put that sign up in my front yard but that would be setting up the burglar for failure though. My neighbor is a nice old man with a few nice pistols...lol.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I want to add a Keltec RFB to my suite of arms, but Cali wants a welded in clip. So I can own one only after ruining it. <<sigh>>
You're welcome to store it at my house, and visit it whenever you want...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies