Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 03:08 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,897,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Some of us are doing quite well in spite of the empty suit in the White House.
And those in Congress.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Quite well, thank you for asking.

So how is that "trickle up poverty" working for you?
And there we have it! Robin hood in reverse, and the wealthy doing quite well from it.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,281,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Levin shouts down or hangs up on people he can't dominate intellectually. Those he can browbeat get plenty of air time. That's the technique.
You will never see Limbaugh, Hannity, or Levin in a debate not fixed or where they don't control the mike.
Levin was just the outlet where I happened to hear about this. The piece I linked was by an economist named Mark Perry, and the data came from the IRS. If you don't like the data, write your prez...the IRS is under his control.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:42 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,182,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Levin was just the outlet where I happened to hear about this. The piece I linked was by an economist named Mark Perry, and the data came from the IRS. If you don't like the data, write your prez...the IRS is under his control.
Comparing the dollar amount some pays in taxes is incomplete without knowing what income those taxes were based on. You have that?

Also, when you consider some of the biggest income earners, Paulsen anyone? finding ways to share tax liability, defer and avoid taxation that top 400 construct might be bogus.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,281,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Comparing the dollar amount some pays in taxes is incomplete without knowing what income those taxes were based on. You have that?

Also, when you consider some of the biggest income earners, Paulsen anyone? finding ways to share tax liability, defer and avoid taxation that top 400 construct might be bogus.

Sorry, no I don't have it. This is all based on data that the IRS sees fit to release, so complain to them.

I am with you on the loopholes though. That's why I support a simplified tax code, so that those rich enough to afford tax attorneys don't get all the breaks. Not increased complexity like Pres. Obama has consistently favored.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
No disrespect, but if you read my words you can see they are about Levin period. Aimed at another poster who was extolling his methods.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,268,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The link between tax cuts and rising rent costs is well known among real estate professionals (ask any Realtor), and has been understood for a long time.

Tax cuts --> ppl have more money to spend --> aggregate demand increases --> employers create new jobs --> unemployed Junior gets a job --> Junior moves out of Mom's basement and finds his own place to rent --> rental vacancy rates decline --> rents soar.

Would'nt this depend on who actually get the tax cuts? If the cuts were geared towards the middle class I would wholeheartly agree with you, but if they are geared to benefit the wealthy well there was a name for it in the 80's and it was called "voodoo economics" and it did not work then adn has not worked ever since

Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,268,797 times
Quote:
Some of us are doing quite well in spite of the empty suit in the White House.
Yeah, many of them are referred to as teabaggers or wealthy republicans

Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,881,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's a joke right? That's like saying w as long as we keep injecting more crystal-methane into our heart we could stay awake for the next 8 years.
I wasn't joking and neither was the CBO:
http://www.pewtrusts.org/uploadedFil...since_2001.pdf

Quote:
In January 2001, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) projected under a current law baseline that the federal government would erase its debt in 2006. By 2011, the U.S. government would be $2.3 trillion in the black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You've had easy credit, you've had a tech boom and now you've had a housing boom. What new plan do you have for the economy to grow? Green Jobs? LOL.

The economy is fully industrialized now and the only reason you haven't seen it in worse shape than it already is in terms of UE and the disappearing of social safety nets is we've been borrowing money to keep it "growing." Something you keep repeating we should do because the rest of the world will let us borrow from them until our debt reaches 3,000% of world GDP.
What I keep repeating is that the number one remedy for debt problems is getting the economy back to near full employment and the way to do that is by increasing demand. Slashing government throws more people out of work who then are entitled to more government services that cost money, while also not paying income taxes.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I wasn't joking and neither was the CBO:
http://www.pewtrusts.org/uploadedFil...since_2001.pdf

What I keep repeating is that the number one remedy for debt problems is getting the economy back to near full employment and the way to do that is by increasing demand. Slashing government throws more people out of work who then are entitled to more government services that cost money, while also not paying income taxes.
...Which is why we need to slash government welfare programs so that people who are out of work actually make the effort to find work instead of relying on the government...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies