Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Obama has already made the case that you can blame Congress for the country’s problems. And guess who controlled Congress in 2007-2008 during the financial collapse? That’s right, the Democrats!
The Democrats, and especially the progressive ones, never "controlled" anything. Dems could not overcome bill-killing GOP filibusters with 60 votes in the Senate while effectively holding only a 51-49 majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So who is in control of the Congress?
This meme is so popular on CD that I should program my response on an F-key.

The Dems didn't completely control the Senate. Al Franken was seated nearly eight months after winning his Senate seat. Even if the Senate was controlled by Democrats (e.g. 50 seats), the statement ignores two other facts. a) there were Democrats in the Senate that vote as if they were Republicans. b) Republicans liberally used the filibuster to block legislation.

The Dems never had 60 Senate seats post-2008. They had between 56 and 58 seats. For that very brief period they had 58 seats with consistent support from Bernie Sanders and inconsistent support from Joe Lieberman. The Democrats hardly had 60 Dem seats, and hardly 60 reliable Dem votes. Then in a special election the following January, Scott Brown won Teddy Kennedy’s old seat, and was sworn in on February 4th.
Democrats' 60-vote majority in Senate: So close and yet so far - latimes.com

Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

The Dems didn't completely control the Senate. Al Franken was seated nearly eight months after winning his Senate seat. Even if the Senate was controlled by Democrats (e.g. 50 seats), the statement ignores two other facts. a) there were Democrats in the Senate that vote as if they were Republicans. b) Republicans liberally used the filibuster to block legislation.

The Dems never had 60 Senate seats post-2008. They had between 56 and 58 seats. For that very brief period they had 58 seats with consistent support from Bernie Sanders and inconsistent support from Joe Lieberman. The Democrats hardly had 60 Dem seats, and hardly 60 reliable Dem votes. Then in a special election the following January, Scott Brown won Teddy Kennedy’s old seat, and was sworn in on February 4th.
Since we are a representative republic, I don't see a problem other than that not everyone sees things your way.

The dems that voted with the republicans presumably listened to their constituents and voted accordingly. What you have is the will of the people. It's kinda the way we do it.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Since we are a representative republic, I don't see a problem other than that not everyone sees things your way.

The dems that voted with the republicans presumably listened to their constituents and voted accordingly. What you have is the will of the people. It's kinda the way we do it.
That's not the point of contention. The claim was that Obama had all the votes he needed in Congress to force his agenda through and therefore can't complain about Republican obstructionism. The fact that Obama did not have all the votes he needed undercuts the claim that he did.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
That's not the point of contention. The claim was that Obama had all the votes he needed in Congress to force his agenda through and therefore can't complain about Republican obstructionism. The fact that Obama did not have all the votes he needed undercuts the claim that he did.
It undercuts the assertion that his agenda is what America wants.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It undercuts the assertion that his agenda is what America wants.
To think what particular Senators and Congressman vote for represent what Americans want, as opposed to what corporate lobbyists want, it is a stretch that anyone can see.

One has to be fairly naive to think that what I want and what Exxon wants have equal weight to a Senator.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:49 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:

Thanks for the info, I thought that I knew what I was talking about in the first place. If the democrats had that much power most of the things that should have gotten pasted would have

Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
What this tells me more than anything is not that the tax system is unfair, but that 400 taxpayers control a hugely disproportionate amount of wealth, assets and power in this country.

Don't cry for the rich. They certainly could give two craps about you.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What this tells me more than anything is not that the tax system is unfair, but that 400 taxpayers control a hugely disproportionate amount of wealth, assets and power in this country.

Don't cry for the rich. They certainly could give two craps about you.
What's more pathetic is the middle-class shlubbs here defending the privileged position of the rich and the tax-policies that benefit them.

I can understand the rich and their lawyers making these arguments but it makes no sense for anyone else to argue on behalf of the privileged.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
The Democrats, and especially the progressive ones, never "controlled" anything. Dems could not overcome bill-killing GOP filibusters with 60 votes in the Senate while effectively holding only a 51-49 majority.
Then how did the dems get Obamacare passed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies