Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I searched for the word "liberal" in your link. This is the only reference I could find:

Would you post the quote from your link to back up your statement?
From the wiki article:

"...Leading Democrats such as Stephen A. Douglas, formerly an ally of the Latter-day Saints, began to denounce Mormonism to save the concept of popular sovereignty. The Democrats believed that American attitudes toward polygamy had the potential of derailing the compromise on slavery. For the Democrats, attacks on Mormonism therefore had the dual purpose of disentangling polygamy from popular sovereignty, and distracting the nation from the ongoing battles over slavery.[20] "

The whole thing was a farce designed to find a scapegoat that Northerners and Southerners could focus their anger at rather than each other. Today hardly anyone who didn't grow up in Utah knows it even happened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:05 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Then why is the link you provided written in English?

because it is an international language

Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No it's not what Mormons believe. It's what gullible suckers think Mormons believe and what liars accuse Mormons of believing.

Quote:
God having sex with the Virgin Mary- eww!
I don't care if you hate Mormons, wehotex, but there really is no excuse for lying. But seeing as you've posted a link to "The Godmakers", here's a statement by The National Conference of Christians and Jews about the movie. This committee was made up of:

3 Roman Catholics
1 Methodist
2 Presbyterians
1 Disciples of Christ
7 Jews
1 Greek Orthodox
2 Mormons

Highlights from their report stated:

The film does not - in our opinion - fairly portray the Mormon Church, Mormon history, or Mormon belief. It makes extensive use of 'half-truth', faulty generalizations, erroneous interpretations, and sensationalism. It is not reflective of the genuine spirit of the Mormon faith.

We find particularly offensive the emphasis in the film that Mormonism is some sort of subversive plot - a danger to the community, a threat to the institution of marriage, and is destructive to the mental health of teenagers. All of our experience with our Mormon neighbors provides eloquent refutation of these charges.

We are of the opinion that The Godmakers relies heavily on appeals to fear, prejudice and other less worthy human emotions. We believe that continued use of this film poses genuine danger to the climate of good will and harmony which currently exists between Valley neighbors of differing faiths. It appears to us to be a basically unfair and untruthful presentation of what Mormons really believe and practice.

We believe that most fair-minded people who would happen to view this film would be appalled by it, because their attitudes have been previously formed through many day-to-day experiences with Mormons which demonstrate that they are good friends, neighbors and fellow citizens.

In a separate statement, Rhonda M Abrams, the Regional Director for The Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith, said the following about the film:

I have now seen "The Godmakers" quite a number of times, and I thought you would be interested in my professional reaction to it. First of all, I was impressed by the high production values of the show. Clearly, this is not the work either of amateurs or those with very limited resources. The film obviously cost a lot of money to produce and... used the talents of a fairly sophisticated film-maker.

The use of a documentary format with a factual tone is a clever ploy to convey a high degree of believability to what is in fact an anti-Mormon work. I am fearful that many of those viewing "The Godmakers," especially those who are unfamiliar with the tenets of the Church of Latter Day Saints, will come away believing much of what they see.

Those who view it carefully, however, can see just how invidious and defamatory "The Godmakers" is.

First, the producers invoke one of the largest-standing canards of religious defamation - that one religion (or its adherents) control a disproportionate share of our nation's resources. This base charge, at bottom, implies that there are those who are not entitled to participate fully in our society and that inevitably such ownership will be used for evil ends.

Particularly invidious about "THE GODMAKERS" is its selection of a very few isolated cases, which may or may not be factual, and the implication that the characteristics of those cases are true throughout the LDS religion. We all know that there are unhappy and discontent people in every religion, and even if these cases are true, they say nothing about the Church or Mormons as a whole.

Moreover, the film repeatedly refers to the LDS Church as a cult, yet these individuals cases show people who have freely and knowingly joined the Church and just as freely chose to leave--hardly the mark of a cult.

Finally, the film makers jest of the religious beliefs and history of the Church. It is the nature of faith, however, that the beliefs of adherents seem ridiculous to those without faith. A non-believer could as easily, and as disrespectfully, ridicule the parting of the Red Sea, or the resurrection of Jesus. "The Godmakers" attempt to ridicule Mormon beliefs in this fashion clearly indicates the malevolent intent of the producers.

Had a similar movie been made with either Judaism or Catholicism as its target, it would be immediately denounced for the scurrilous piece that it is. I sincerely hope that people of all faiths will similarly repudiate "The Godmakers" as defamatory and untrue, and recognize it for what it truly represents - a challenge to the religious liberty of all.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
because it is an international language
Please give an example supporting your claim that math is a language. Don't use Spanish, French, English, German etc.

Just use math, if you're right I'll be able to interpret your meaning and respond.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Please give an example supporting your claim that math is a language. Don't use Spanish, French, English, German etc.

Just use math, if you're right I'll be able to interpret your meaning and respond.

sure thing, since you would be just baiting me. just as the same as I would be doing to you asking for the sounds of ASL.

also, not all languages have sounds to go along with what is written.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
From the wiki article:

"...Leading Democrats such as Stephen A. Douglas, formerly an ally of the Latter-day Saints, began to denounce Mormonism to save the concept of popular sovereignty. The Democrats believed that American attitudes toward polygamy had the potential of derailing the compromise on slavery. For the Democrats, attacks on Mormonism therefore had the dual purpose of disentangling polygamy from popular sovereignty, and distracting the nation from the ongoing battles over slavery.[20] "

The whole thing was a farce designed to find a scapegoat that Northerners and Southerners could focus their anger at rather than each other. Today hardly anyone who didn't grow up in Utah knows it even happened.
Thank you.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What a shock the sheep being herded along yet again. Looks like a bunch of mormophobes to me. lol

"According to the paper, concern about Mormonism has remained relatively stable among Evangelicals, with 36 percent expressing aversion to an LDS candidate in 2007 and 33 percent doing so in 2012. But among non-religious voters, that number shot up 20 points in the past five years, from 21 percent in 2007 to 41 percent in February. There were also substantial increases in Mormon-averse voters among liberals — 28 percent in 2007 and 43 percent in 2012 — as well as moderates, who went from 22 percent in 2007 to 32 percent this year."

Study: Liberal Anti-Mormonism On The Rise
I'm sure liberal hatred of religious people, period, is on the rise.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,354 times
15 Mormons serving in U.S. Congress

By Sarah Jane Weaver
Church News staff writer
Published: Saturday, Jan. 8, 2011

The majority leader of the U.S. Senate and the most senior Republican senator are two of the 15 Church members serving in the 112th United States Congress

See the list (as of Jan 2011) here:

LDS Church News - 15 Mormons serving in U.S. Congress

Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
This has nothing to do with actually the religion. It has to do with what sheep the liberals are. They are told to despise something so they do. They are told to hate big oil, the evil rich, evil bankers, bush, now mormons and they fall right in line. It's simply pathetic is what it is and this article adds another thing liberals do when they are told to do it. Useful idiots is all they are.
And you wouldn't consider yourself a useful idiot for conveniently failing to notice that conservatives do this same thing just as much with different groups in different circumstances?

For right or wrong, the actual reason why some liberals look unfavorably upon mormon candidates is for the same reason that they look unfavorably upon fundamentalist Christians - they dislike religious extremism in American politics. Many conservatives, on the other hand, embrace it.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
While I am not religous and definately not a Liberal I don't believe in the Mormon Church any more than I believe in any other religous institution. Anyone that gets elected in this country will claim they are religous. Mormom, Catholic, Babtist. You have to be one of them to win. We will have Poncho Via in the white house before we have an Athiest.
Who is Poncho Via? Poncho the Traveler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies