Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:51 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
There's no way an elected official will speak only Spanish, he wouldn't get voted in.

I've gone to plenty of businesses where no one speaks English because I speak Spanish and that's fun for me. Also, I lived in Miami...
You mean little Havana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 06:56 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
There are people trying to do a lot of stupid things, doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You mean little Havana?

In Miami you don't have to go to Little Havana to find places that don't speak English. Spanish is the main language in Miami, that's why I learned it, plus it helps with picking up women. Spanish was just an everyday normal conversation in Miami, I didn't even greet people in English.

Here in Michigan I find places that speak only Spanish for fun.

I've got no problems with Spanish or any other language. As I said before, as long as these people aren't asking for special help and benefits from the government, they have every right to not learn English. Their businesses will suffer and they will not get good jobs, it's their own fault. As soon as tax money starts going to their laziness/refusal to assimilate is where I draw the line and have a problem.

I have a hard time seeing anybody disagree with me, besides people who think that it's racist for me to not want to give government assistance to those people of course.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
There are people trying to do a lot of stupid things, doesn't mean it's going to happen.
Umm... Obama was elected.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Well, in that case, the state of AZ has a law that elected officials speak fluent English.
Not all states have that law and neither does the Fed.

She would have had a case if AZ did not have that law on it's books.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
At least that's how it seems around the forum lately.

I don't get it... I'm as pasty-white as they come but I also speak Spanish and a bit of Portuguese. There is nothing sinister or scary about it.

Do you fear it because you don't understand it? Wouldn't that be *your* fault, not the guy speaking Spanish?

Why should we only speak Amerikun? The majority language was ALMOST German you know, not English... and last time I checked, I wasn't even English!

Nobody shouts down my Grandma when she speaks Danish in public, so why is that not the case when somebody speaks Spanish?

I don't want to hear anything about illegals... yes there lots of Spanish Speaking illegals, and yes they should be punished according to the severity of their crime. There are lots of illegals from all over the world in America and our government has done a lousy job of enforcing immigration laws.

...But I'm surrounded by even more AMERICAN CITIZENS who speak Spanish by choice and are harassed/hated for it.

It's time to face the truth... we've got a problem and we need to get over it.

Fear brews the same kind of hate that leads to racism, slavery, bigotry, terror, witch hunts, inquisitions and genocide. There is no reason we should hate to hear things said in Spanish simply because they are heard in Spanish.

Knowledge is the antidote to fear. If you have Españophobia, sign up for a Spanish class, go to your library and get some language tapes, watch some Spanish programming for an evening... expose yourself to it and learn.

End Rant.
Some people need to have an "enemy" somebody to blame their problems on. Whether it's Muslims, Public Employees, Blacks, etc., etc. Hispanics are the "enemy" du jour.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well, in that case, the state of AZ has a law that elected officials speak fluent English.
Not all states have that law and neither does the Fed.

She would have had a case if AZ did not have that law on it's books.
AZ is also the state that is most strict on illegal immigration and the ones who stick their middle finger to the federal government more than anyone.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Umm... Obama was elected.

Let's just pray there's no re- in front of it.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:02 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
In Miami you don't have to go to Little Havana to find places that don't speak English. Spanish is the main language in Miami, that's why I learned it, plus it helps with picking up women. Spanish was just an everyday normal conversation in Miami, I didn't even greet people in English.

Here in Michigan I find places that speak only Spanish for fun.

I've got no problems with Spanish or any other language. As I said before, as long as these people aren't asking for special help and benefits from the government, they have every right to not learn English. Their businesses will suffer and they will not get good jobs, it's their own fault. As soon as tax money starts going to their laziness/refusal to assimilate is where I draw the line and have a problem.

I have a hard time seeing anybody disagree with me, besides people who think that it's racist for me to not want to give government assistance to those people of course.
In other words every right to disrespect us & use our benefits.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well to play the devil's advocate..why not learn Spanish instead ?
Since the US is going multi-cultural it only seems fitting for Americans to learn Spanish if they don't want to be left in the dust of "progress".

With Hispanics growing at a faster pace and in some states they are already a majority, it will just be a matter of time before Spanish becomes more popular over English.
Yes, thats such a great idea. Lets start speaking spanish instead of English, even though English is basically the global language.

I am being sarcastic but that statement about learning spanish is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Every major country and developing country is trying to learn english why the hell would we want spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies