Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:34 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,634,094 times

Advertisements

hello to all,
i have just relocated to tampa from ohio and when i was in ohio i posted questions and comments to this board about "diveristy". boy oh boy did i manage to ruffle some feathers with my comments. (actually it all started because a previous poster was looking for an all white type of place and somehow i got blamed for commenting on her post). BUT the main point of this post is to tell you that i so far have found what i was looking for (i was looking for "diversity" but what i was really trying to say is that i wanted "diversity" in ALL things not just the obvious. anyways, i have many neighbors that speak spanish and it's very exciting and refreshing because in ohio everyone was the same. and now i have found "diversity" OR "variety".
IT'S GREAT HERE!!!!!
(P.S. HOW DO I GET TO THE BEACH FROM NEW TAMPA?)

Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,683,109 times
So if you have a concentration of Spanish speaking people you have "diversity"? Why would anyone want to live where you can't communicate effectively with others, creating segregation?

Old 09-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
So if you have a concentration of Spanish speaking people you have "diversity"? Why would anyone want to live where you can't communicate effectively with others, creating segregation?
sorry tallrick but i think it's exciting! i will have to learn spanish now so i can eavesfrop effectively (hahaha). i am sure that my neighbors who speak spanish also speak english so im not worried about communication. though i have to admit when two people who speak different languages try to communicate it can be pretty darn interesting and fun. in a challenging way you know? oh, i have only been here in tampa for 4 days and im sure it's not the only "diversity" (i mean "variety") that is around for me to discover. it's just one of the first things that ive noticed and am excited about. i am excited because it is new and different for me and those types of things thrill me.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:12 PM

792 posts, read 2,285,587 times
If you want "diversity", moved to South St. Petersburg. You can speak spanish, ebonics and probably throw in a little asian for spice. Then after you get carjacked, beaten, shot and left for dead by gangbangers who view you as an easy target, maybe you'll understand why the rest of us view "diversity" as a 4 letter word.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:22 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,196,828 times
diverisity is not always a good thing. we have a very diverse subdivision by your explaination. we are about 1/2 spanish, 1/2 white, black or asian. for the most part, ppl arent too friendly. everyone is from somewhere else, mostly puerto-rico or ny/nj. what is great about this? i'm not sure.

plus, what about hearing spanish os so great anyhow? now it's all i hear and it's annoying.

but on the other hand, i am glad you like it.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
If you want "diversity", moved to South St. Petersburg. You can speak spanish, ebonics and probably throw in a little asian for spice. Then after you get carjacked, beaten, shot and left for dead by gangbangers who view you as an easy target, maybe you'll understand why the rest of us view "diversity" as a 4 letter word.
listen, i understand what youre saying about crime but "diversity" in the crime area is not what i meant. SEEMS TO ME THAT USING THE WORD "DIVERSITY" IS TABOO AROUND HERE. i will try to use the word "variety" instead o.k.? also, i never EVER implied that you or anyone else should not like "variety". try living in ohio for years on end and maybe you'd crave some "variety" also.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
diverisity is not always a good thing. we have a very diverse subdivision by your explaination. we are about 1/2 spanish, 1/2 white, black or asian. for the most part, ppl arent too friendly. everyone is from somewhere else, mostly puerto-rico or ny/nj. what is great about this? i'm not sure.

plus, what about hearing spanish os so great anyhow? now it's all i hear and it's annoying.

but on the other hand, i am glad you like it.
well maybe i'll find spanish annoying eventually but i doubt it. maybe you would have liked the neighborhood that i just came from where everyone was white, down-home/hick, boring and if i do say so, UNATTRACTIVE. not that looks are everything but i have noticed that the people here are more attractive and i have also noticed that they are friendlier than where i came from (ohio). even the employees at the grocery stores are friendly.
can someone tell me how to get to the beach now?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
if i may add something: i was plunked down in oakland calf as a child (i am white) (i was the only white girl in my 6th grade class) for a couple of years and was beaten up and threatened and harrassed and raped and it was the most horrible time of my life. i then moved to a different city in calf and went to school with mexican gangbangers which was also very frightening. my point being that i know the negatives of "diversity". im not some naive person who just fell off the turnip truck. if that is even a saying (sorry but i was in ohio for toooo long)

Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,365,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
if i may add something: i was plunked down in oakland calf as a child (i am white) (i was the only white girl in my 6th grade class) for a couple of years and was beaten up and threatened and harrassed and raped and it was the most horrible time of my life. i then moved to a different city in calf and went to school with mexican gangbangers which was also very frightening. my point being that i know the negatives of "diversity". im not some naive person who just fell off the turnip truck. if that is even a saying (sorry but i was in ohio for toooo long)
After what you've been through, why are you looking for more of the same? Some day those boring people back in Ohio may not look so bad after all.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 PM

200 posts, read 914,189 times
Oh MY. I can't believe what I am reading, how ugly some of these words are! I am glad that you are exploring the world nicolepsy; clearly it is something that some people will never be comfortable doing...and that is their loss. You will be a richer, wiser person for learning about others...some people are just too scared to step out of their 'comfort zone', and when they carry that attitude with them, it's no wonder people respond to them in a bad way...

and a side note, I am a black woman, with white family members, South American family members, lived in other countries, and was exposed to a wealth of diversity. I have never been car-jacked, shot or attacked! People should not make comments based on their fears... but on fact...

Last edited by movingtolou; 09-25-2007 at 09:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.