Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet you don't think it makes sense that when someone LEAVES their own country to come live in this one that they should learn English? Why does everyone want to coddle the lazy immigrants who never want to make an effort to learn anything?

Sure -- it's one thing to learn Spanish when we go to a Spanish speaking country and actually I have but I'm not going to coddle them and encourage their laziness and lack of effort when they come here.
There are bilingual and multilingual nations all over the world. So what if the U.S. takes on a second common language. Worse things have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
This is the US. I refuse to kiss someone's butt cause I don't speak their lingo. Sheesh!

Maybe you don't get it but; prejudice is getting worse against people talking in Spanish.
Learning another language isn't kissing anyone's butt. It would actually benefit you, if you were open to the idea.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
There are bilingual and multilingual nations all over the world. So what if the U.S. takes on a second common language. Worse things have happened.
Not one of those multilingual countries ever became as rich or as powerful as the USA. It's stupid to encourage balkinization of a nation. Look at India -- they are a smart people, they're learning the value of a common language while we're throwing that idea away.

It's stupid that we don't give preference to more capable immigrants, there are plenty of people who would like a chance to come and live in this country and they would make the effort to learn the language and adapt. But we're taking the least able to learn types.

Americans often learn more Spanish in a week-long vacation in Cancun than do these people pouring over the border to live here. It's common to see people who have lived here for 20-40 years and never had the slightest intellectual curiousity to learn anything of this country or it's language.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Learning another language isn't kissing anyone's butt. It would actually benefit you, if you were open to the idea.
Yet you don't think the immigrants coming here should have to bother learning another language.

If an American were to say they were going to go live forever in some other country, I think we'd all think it would be wise to learn that country's language. But the immigrants coming here must be coddled and told they shouldn't have to learn or adapt in any way.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
MOST of them have problems since they don't have 1 dominant language.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Anyone stupid enough to move to an area that has had Spanish as its main language for about 400 years then be shocked that they need to learn Spanish deserve what they get. I imagine if it were the other way around, a Latino angry that he needed to learn English to get a good job in Salt Lake City, the right would be out with their pitchforks
What an IDIOTIC post, didn't White Spanish speaking people from SPAIN move into area/s that spoke Mayan and Nahautl among other languages ???

Imagine that your post is an EPIC FAIL and you would be right !

Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't learning English show some common sense and be beneficial to people Hispanics, Asians, Europeans or whomever comming into the US ???

Or are you suggesting that foreigners arriving into America should be pandered or catered to ?

If I moved to Mexico, Russia or China I would learn the language of those countries instead of expecting to be babied or catered to, let alone expect special treatment and bilingual everything at someone else's expense.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:04 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Keep voting Democrat "African-Americans" and you will continue your descent into obscurity. Hispanics are already the majority-minority, and their numbers are growing while yours are stagnating. Hispanics are already taking over your neighborhoods (ghettos) in California.

Keep up the good work!

Haha, like the Republirat-Phonycons are going to do anything about illegal immigration.......snarfle.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
What an IDIOTIC post, didn't White Spanish speaking people from SPAIN move into area/s that spoke Mayan and Nahautl among other languages ???

Imagine that your post is an EPIC FAIL and you would be right !
Why did you post a completely irrelevant "fact" and tie it to my post? A large number of people in the Yucatan Peninsula still do speak Mayan. Please unload your inaccurate and angry posts on someone else.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Why did you post a completely irrelevant "fact" and tie it to my post? A large number of people in the Yucatan Peninsula still do speak Mayan. Please unload your inaccurate and angry posts on someone else.
OK then maybe next you might want to discuss why they are discriminated against and marginalized for adhering to their pre Hispanic culture and why YOUR opinion should apply to those in Mexico that treat their own differently .

Spanish speaking Central Americans who share alot of Cultural similarities and the Catholic religion are also discriminated against in Mexico.

Next time you opine about what should be here in the US maybe you can hold others to that same level ? After all it would only be " fair".

Yes anyone "stupid enough" to move into parts of the US that never really had alot of Spanish speakers like Maine, Idaho or other places deserve what the get, if I made an irrelevant comment like that someone should hold me to it. my post is completely relevant.

When Mexico teaches and demands that it's people learn it's " Native" Languages ( which by the way Spanish" isn't) then others might be held to your lofty ideals LOL !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies