Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,198,298 times

Advertisements

First of all, the number of codes has changed drastically over the years.

In federal service, the DD214 is simply proof that your served, and a measure of if you get preference points for employment or in RIF (Reduction in Force) actions. Most people are not privy to your DD-214. I've never shown mine. I've never had reason to, I'm out of the service for 30+ years and work in a military community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 06:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,150,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
First of all, the number of codes has changed drastically over the years.

In federal service, the DD214 is simply proof that your served, and a measure of if you get preference points for employment or in RIF (Reduction in Force) actions. Most people are not privy to your DD-214. I've never shown mine. I've never had reason to, I'm out of the service for 30+ years and work in a military community.
I work for a huge corp. They have never asked to see my DD214. Civil service did when I applied for corrections officer. If a vet is discharged and while serving had a drug or alcohol problem then thats on the vet not the military. The Military never forced any member to drink to excess or part take in illegal drugs. Vets of this type while on active duty were a risk to others. Just as civilian drunks and dopers are. If they get a bad code oh well thats the risk they took by taking the wrong road.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,598,816 times
I applied for a civil service position years ago, and after taking the test, the test person asked me if I had been in the service, showed her my DD214. Got 20 extra points on the test and given priority in job selection. Don't know if that is still done, or if was particular to that state?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:34 AM

83 posts, read 315,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Yes, the DD-214 does have two boxes that are important. One is box 26 which is a Separation Code telling how/why separated. Box 27 is a re-entry code saying what it's going to take to re-enter.
On my dd-214, box 26 is for medals campaign ribbons etc. box 27 is blank with X's running diagonal like this X
X
X All the way across it.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,355,292 times
The video makes it seem like the SPN and Re-entry codes were some massive government conspiracy to screw over veterans. The reality is that these codes have always been available to anyone who asks, or like imagixx, who can find them on-line.

There are two reasons why these codes are used: To record the reason of the discharge, and the veteran's re-enlistment elligibility. There is more to a discharge than just the type and condition of the discharge. Not everyone gets a SPN Code, but all DD-214s will include a Re-entry Code and other information. The DD-214 essentially summarizes your 201 file, as much as possible, by including duty assignments, medals and citations earned, etc.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,486 times
This site has been helpful. I have been applying for government jobs for the last 4 months with only one interview. All other 30-something was rejected or not considered. There was never a good explanation as to why I was rejected. One Agency called today to tell me that my DD-214 is the short version and does not show reason for separation and that is why I faced so many rejections. When I was discharged in 1981 I was only issued a short form DD-214 so I did not know any different. For those applying for government jobs be sure you use your long version of the DD-214.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies