Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times

Advertisements

This bit just popped into my inbox and might be a passing interest to anyone who supports our military, however it should be of special note for anyone who has served and received their DD214 papers.

According to this video clip and some of these vets, the DD214 paper has a code that may prevent a veteran who has been honorably discharged with getting a good job they are qualified for. I don't know the validity to this but if it is in fact true, it REALLY ticks me off.

I would love to hear what some of the vets think about this or if anyone has heard this to even be factual.

Injustice Exposed: The Secret Code on Veteran's DD214
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 01:20 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,608 times
That clip was 1 1/2 hours long, so I apologize that I did not watch it (and if I misunderstood you and are accidentally off-topic).

On the surface though I would suspect the validity of it, because there are many examples (both public and private) of people working with a "borrowed" social security number, top level people lying on their resume claiming an 'extra' grad degree, etc and getting away with it for years.

If employers don't check even the basic stuff, I have a hard time believing that they would check up on any sort of 'hidden code'.

Just my opinion though

Old 09-25-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
That clip was 1 1/2 hours long, so I apologize that I did not watch it (and if I misunderstood you and are accidentally off-topic).

On the surface though I would suspect the validity of it, because there are many examples (both public and private) of people working with a "borrowed" social security number, top level people lying on their resume claiming an 'extra' grad degree, etc and getting away with it for years.

If employers don't check even the basic stuff, I have a hard time believing that they would check up on any sort of 'hidden code'.

Just my opinion though
Well I was unable to watch the full clip myself which is why I was asking if any vets had heard of this before.

Apparently there is a code that is on every DD214, and although you may have been honorably discharged, that code refers to personal issues related to your service. The one gentleman discussing it said it was brought to his attention when he applied for a state job and although he was listed as the most qualified candidate, he was denied. Through his research he discovered that there is a code list that can be acquired through various veterans groups that show what each corresponding number on the DD214 relates to such as personal family issues, suspected homosexuality, mental issues, eating and hygiene habits, and even things of how well you related to your own family.

What is most shocking, if it is true, is that the military passes these code lists on to private and governmental agencies after personnel have been discharged honorably from military service. I just happen to think it is a rotten thing to do to vets.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Yes, the DD-214 does have two boxes that are important. One is box 26 which is a Separation Code telling how/why separated. Box 27 is a re-entry code saying what it's going to take to re-enter.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:45 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,398 times
Where did this 'coding' come from? Who signed off on it? Can congressional or supreme court action change the use of that coding?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,379 times
I can't guarantee these codes are correct but this is what I found out.

Re-entry codes:

RE-1A - Ineligible to reenlist, but condition waived
RE-1J - Eligible to reenlist but elected to separate
RE-1K - Career airmen
RE-1M - Eligible to reenlist
RE-1P- Eligible to reenlist
RE-1Q- Eligible to reenlist
RE-1R- 1st term airmen selected for reenlistment
RE-1T- Eligible to reenlist ANG and WSAFR airmen serving involuntary or involuntary EAD
RE-12- recommended for reenlistment
RE-13- recommended for reenlistment
RE-14- recommended for reenlistment
RE-2A- HQ AFPC denied reenlistment oppo for quality reasons
RE-2B- Discharged under General or other-than-honorable conditions
RE-2C- Involuntary separation with Honorable disch
RE-2D- Returned POW w/less 6 months active duty
RE-2E- Serving a period of probation and rehab
RE-2F- Undergoing, or separated while undergoing rehab in a DoD regional confinement fac'y
RE-2G- Participating in Substance Abuse Reorientation and Treatment prog for drugs, or has failed to complete reorientation.
RE-2H- Participating in Substance Abuse Reorientation and Treatment prog for alcohol, or has failed to complete reorien
RE-2I- Non U.S. citizen serving on initial enlistment
RE-2J- Under investigation by mili or civ auth which may result in discharge or court-martial
RE-2K- Formally notified of involuntary separation
RE-2L- Civil court charges pending for offense the MCM authorizes confinement; or court martial charges preferred; or court martial conviction under appellate review
RE-2M- Serving sentence or suspended CM sentence; or separated while serving or suspended CM sentence
RE-2N- Religiouus conscientious objector preclude unrestricted assignment
RE-2P- AWOL; deserter dropped from rolls
RE-2Q- Medically retired or discharged
RE-2R- Airman within 23 months of 55th birthday; completed at least 18 years
RE-2S- Airman within 23 months of 55th birthday; completed at least 18 years
RE-2T- Possesses HYT date of at least 20 years; within 23 months of HYT date
RE-2U- HYT date of at least 20 years
RE-2V- Applied for retirement, or retirement approved
RE-2W- Retired and recalled to active duty
RE-2X- 1st term, 2nd term or career airman considered but not selected for reenlistment
RE-3A- 1st airman separating before 36 months; or 1st term, no prior svc; females learning of pregnancy prior to enlistment
RE-3B- 1st or 2nd term or career airman ineligible to reenlist, ineligibility condition no longer exists
RE-3C- 1st term airman not yet considered under SRP
RE-3D- 2nd term airman who refused to get PCS or TDY retainability
RE-3E- 2nd term or career airman who refused to get retainability for training or retraining or delined to attend PME
RE-3I- Airman selected for reenlistment, by HQ AFPC removed the airman's name from the CJR waiting list within 5 months of DOS
RE-3K- Reserved for use by HQ AFPC or AFB for Correction of Mili Rcds when no other reenlistment eligibility code applies
RE-3S- Separated w/Special Sep Benefit
RE-3V- Separated w/Vol Sep Incentive
RE-4A- Hardship or dependency disch
RE-4B- Exceeding body fat standards disch
RE-4C- Concealment of juvenile rcds; or minority, or faliure to meet phys standards; or failure to obtain 9.0 reading grade
RE-4D- Snr airman or Sgt w at least 9 yrs TAFMS but fewer than 16 yrs
RE-4E- A1C or below completed 31 or more months; 1st term airman; or A1C or below w
RE-4F- 5 or more days lost time. Waiver req for reenlistment
RE-4G- No AFSC skill level commensurate w/grade
RE-4H- Serving suspended punishment to Art 15
RE-4I- Serving on Control Roster
RE-4J- Entered in Phase I AF Weight Prog; or airman ineligible for period of phase II
RE-4K- Medically disqualified for continued svc; or pending evaluation by MEB/PEB
RE-4L- Separated commissioning prog
RE-4M- Breach of enlistment/reenlistment agreement
RE-4N- Convicted by civil auth
RE-4- RE-3/93 recommended for reenlistment

Seperation codes can be found here, there are too many to list.

Seperation Codes

Old 09-25-2007, 07:38 PM

You can skip to about an "inch" into the video clip (for a lack of better timing in the video clip) where they point out the specific block with the coding. I don't think this is what you are talking about with the re-entry and separation codes but I could be wrong.

thanks for the information though, as I didn't realize the coding was quite so extensive.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
I'm setting here looking at my DD-214 and that's the only two blocks I can find that are coded. Might be missing something, but I sure can't find it.

Also, somebody asked who authorize it, why is it there? In any job you get out in town, they ask you if they can contact your last employer. Believe me, when they do contact the last employer, they ask why you ain't with them anymore. This does the same thing. The military moves people in and out and around so often, that you get out and 2 weeks later you apply for a job. There is no way to contact your old boss to ask him about you. So they code your discharge.

But all I can find is those two blocks. Everything else on there I fully understand. I think.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:06 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,871 times
I've often found that showing my DD-214 has helped me get jobs. However, I would think it cruel to use a vet's underlying issues, personal problems, and/or lifestyles as a determining factor when regarding employment.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:38 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,444 times
Default Frankly, I've never had a

problem in getting a job. Yes, of course the hiring company asks if they can get in touch with a former employer, but after a few years, said former employer has moved on. I've not "worked" since 2003, whether temp or full-time, so the codes mean nothing to me; however, there appears to be a double-edged sword going on, i.e., a vet gets an honorable discharge with high recommendations for employment in the civilian world, and then some non-descript coding disqualifies all those recommendations is just plain wrong. On the other hand, if a vet gets a general, administrative, or BC discharge, for whatever reason, then it is HIS/HER responsibility to correct it or get it modified, not mine. I did my time, and I'm glad I did, retiring in 11/95. Life is cruel, get a helmet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies