Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
'Blacks' who adhere to the banned One Drop Rule are doing the bidding of the racist faction of 'white' America.

The rest of 'white' America will never grasp the inherent racism of One Drop Rule as long as 'blacks' adamantly adhere to it.
Adhere to? As far as I know to date when you give birth and one parent is Black the infant is classified as Black. There is no box for "mulatto" or half and half where you get to check the race of each half of you. Race determination was designed to appease and cover up and the rapes of the white slave masters. Now that it is no longer conducive to white folks you want us to forget about that dirty little transgression?

Please feel free to insert a link that banned the one drop rule. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 06-16-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Something to consider is when do black people learn that they are black? A small black child will find out that he is not like the other kids. It is a threshold that they must inevitably cross. The younger they cross this threshold the better. they will start making the unconscious adjustments, and that is when you become black. Having kinky hair and dark skin is a gift of biology, but being black is something you get from society. I'm sure Barack Obama, like all black people, had a single solitary event in his childhood that let him know that he was not like the other kids.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
For better or worse, everyone is whatever society sees them as.

As has been said many, many times before, if you didn't know him from Adam and you saw him walking down the street towards you, would you say to yourself "Hey, that guy is white"?

Be honest.

As he himself has said, if he was standing in the rain in NYC trying to hail a taxi, chances are close to 100% that none would stop. Think I'm exagerating? Samuel L. Jackson has had this exact experience.
You can't balme whitey for those experiences in NY, there aren't any whites left being cabbies. Blame the India Indians, Pakastanies, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Culturally, Obama has never been black. He might be of the negroid race (well half anyway), but there is a heck of a lot more to being black than skin color. You can bet his lily white granny never whipped him up a batch of pigs feet and greens. He might be black on the outside, but lordie, lordie he be WHITE on the inside, don't you know.

20yrsinBranson
I once had a friend who called himself a "choclate covered marshmello" for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
And culturally, all black people are Americans. Contrary to what many of you believe, we really don't have too many differences culturally from white Americans except language in regards to the black vernacular. I know a lot of white people who eat greens and fried chicken and watermelon (mmmmmm, watermelon, I will have to cut mine up later for a good treat!) and other supposedly black cultural things.
That is the first sensible statement I've heard from anyone, black or white. I don't go around saying I'm "Norwegian American", I'm American with some of my ansestors being from Norway, England, Ireland and Scotland. So I'm more Norwegian than anything but I don't advertise it. Plus everyone knows if you have black skin everyone knows where your ancestors are from.

Who the hell cares what color Obummer is or what side he chose, he's a failure as PoTUS, plain and simple. Personally, I've wished Colin Powell would run for years. I'd vote for Condi Rice too. I choose based on the person, not the skin color.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Something to consider is when do black people learn that they are black? A small black child will find out that he is not like the other kids. It is a threshold that they must inevitably cross. The younger they cross this threshold the better. they will start making the unconscious adjustments, and that is when you become black. Having kinky hair and dark skin is a gift of biology, but being black is something you get from society. I'm sure Barack Obama, like all black people, had a single solitary event in his childhood that let him know that he was not like the other kids.
Excellent Post and ITA.

I found out that I was Black and considered "inferior" when I was a 4 year old kid. I was marching alongside my grandmother at a rally headed by Dr. King in Chicago. I remember being hosed down in the streets like a dog and falling to my knees at the orders of Richard M. Daley. I also remember seeing and hearing a little white girl who looked to be my age laughing and pointing at me and stating to her mother "look at that nig- ger". More than 40 years later I still have the scar on my knee and I can still see her face and hear her voice. Screw anybody who thinks they have the right to tell me what to think or how I should feel.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Adhere to? As far as I know to date when you give birth and one parent is Black the infant is classified as Black. There is no box for "mulatto" or half and half where you get to check the race of each half of you. Race determination was designed to appease and cover up the rapes of the white slave masters. Now that it is no longer conducive to white folks you want us to forget about that dirty little transgression?

Please feel free to insert a link that banned the one drop rule. Thank you in advance.
There should be a box IMO. I think "mullato" should be brought back. Then a person would not have to "chose". Why must a person do that? Why shouldn't a person be able to say "I'm mullato" and clear that up for everyone?

What happens when a baby is born and there is "no" father involved in the picture who happens to be black but the baby looks white when it is born? Could a mother check off the "white" box if she didn't want anyone to know the father was black? Hospitals surely don't do DNA testing on all newborns. I'm curious.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Excellent Post and ITA.

I found out that I was Black and considered "inferior" when I was a 4 year old kid. I was marching alongside my grandmother at a rally headed by Dr. King in Chicago. I remember being hosed down in the streets like a dog and falling to my knees at the orders of Richard M. Daley. I also remember seeing and hearing a little white girl who looked to be my age laughing and pointing at me and stating to her mother "look at that nig- ger". More than 40 years later I still have the scar on my knee and I can still see her face and hear her voice. Screw anybody who thinks they have the right to tell me what to think or how I should feel.
That was a horrible incident. IDK why "you people" could not have been treated civiley. It should never have happened. I'm starting to realize I was lucky to have been born to the people I was. I can't imagine having to march to be allowed to just live like everyone else!

I take people at their face value at first but if you can not act like a civilized person or think the world "owes you" just because of history, I want nothing to do with you.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
The 1 Drop Rule is stupid, If nothing else; many white people DO have some Black in their families but they'd be at real danger in walking into a Black hood cause they're way too light skinned.

Obama DOES look "Black" but I see him as mix race.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
There should be a box IMO. I think "mullato" should be brought back. Then a person would not have to "chose". Why must a person do that? Why shouldn't a person be able to say "I'm mullato" and clear that up for everyone?

What happens when a baby is born and there is "no" father involved in the picture who happens to be black but the baby looks white when it is born? Could a mother check off the "white" box if she didn't want anyone to know the father was black? Hospitals surely don't do DNA testing on all newborns. I'm curious.
If the father is not present at the time of birth to my knowlege, in a case like the one you are describing the baby is assigned the race of the mother. That being said, it can very well vary from state to state.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:01 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
As a result of the rape of black women by "massa", the majority of American born blacks have white blood coursing through their veins which is why we come in all different shades of blackness. Thus the one drop rule. If Obama was some thug that made news as a result of commiting some heinous crime, I doubt that white people would be flocking to claim him, but instead would be disassociating themselves with the white half of him. At the end of the day you can't have it both ways. Despite the fact that his mother was white, according to the one drop rule and the racial history of America, Obama is a black man.
I don't know why when it comes to race and politics, black folks seem to lose all capability to apply common sense, logic and facts to the discussion.

Designation of the one-drop rule depended on the state where a person resided, therefore in Hawaii the one drop rule wouldn't have applied to Obama...nor would have Illinois.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That was a horrible incident. IDK why "you people" could not have been treated civiley. It should never have happened. I'm starting to realize I was lucky to have been born to the people I was. I can't imagine having to march to be allowed to just live like everyone else!
We were not treated civilly because some people have a false sense of superiorty and delusions of grandier. Additionally, evil and low self esteem comes into play as well. Those who had slaves had a combination of all of the aforementioned.

Quote:
I take people at their face value at first but if you can not act like a civilized person or think the world "owes you" just because of history, I want nothing to do with you.
You are entitled to your opinion but I think those who owned slaves did not envision slavery ever ending, nor did they anticipate the fallout if and when it did. Unfortunately, their evil became a part of history that will live forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies