Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 11:57 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,645 times

Advertisements

Why isn't my concealed carry license good in all 50 states? If I live in a state with legal pot, why will I be arrested in a state where pot is still illegal?

Someone please explain the logic of this to me. Because if you tell me that states have the right to deny these rights to me how is homosexual marriage different??

Old 06-26-2015, 12:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Because the two things aren't even remotely related or treated the same way for purposes of "full faith and credit" requirements.

But you knew that. I hope.

And btw: After today it's no longer "heterosexual marriage" or "homosexual marriage." Just "marriage" under the law.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:05 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,645 times
No, it's homosexual marriage no matter what you hope.

Now, explain how they aren't "remotely related". Is your driver's license good in all 57 states?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:08 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Why isn't my concealed carry license good in all 50 states? If I live in a state with legal pot, why will I be arrested in a state where pot is still illegal?

Someone please explain the logic of this to me. Because if you tell me that states have the right to deny these rights to me how is homosexual marriage different??
Typical gun owner, no matter what happens the first thing they think about is themselves and their creepy fascination with guns. Usually it's after a group of people have been shot dead though, this time is an exception I guess.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:08 PM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:

Because the Supreme Court has ruled so on marriage, but has not ruled to the affirmative on Pot or CCL. If they do, then you'll get your wish.

Personally, I hope they do on the pot. I'm not anti or pro guns, but I won't be out protesting if they rule on them too.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
No, it's homosexual marriage no matter what you hope.

Now, explain how they aren't "remotely related". Is your driver's license good in all 57 states?

Sorry fellah, the Supreme Court ruled otherwise, and there's no going back. Just like your type had to get used to race mixin, school integration, women folk voting and child labor laws, you're just going to have to get used to the new reality.

Sorrynotsorry.

And yes, a driver's license is valid in all fifty states, but here's the rub: Concealed carry is NOT legal in all fifty states, while every state DOES have a driver's licensing regime. Some states MAY recognize concealed weapons permits from other states if they, too, allow carry, but that is up to the states to decide if they want to do that.

Even then, when you move from State A to State B, you eventually have to get your license updated in State B, and cannot rely on license from State A, forever.

Now, to make things even more complicated, states can limit the validity of licenses from other states without violating full faith and credit. For example, if you're a real estate agent in California, your license is worthless in New York.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:32 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Typical gun owner, no matter what happens the first thing they think about is themselves and their creepy fascination with guns. Usually it's after a group of people have been shot dead though, this time is an exception I guess.
Hey, Dude! Guns are not the problem. Sicko pervs are!

Old 06-26-2015, 12:37 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,603 times
No worries, Pot will be legal on a federal level within a decade too.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Because the two things aren't even remotely related or treated the same way for purposes of "full faith and credit" requirements.

But you knew that. I hope.

And btw: After today it's no longer "heterosexual marriage" or "homosexual marriage." Just "marriage" under the law.
Sure they are especially when one is mentioned in the constitution and other isn't a all. But then I prefer more local control as it stops conflict that nationally divided issue cause. look at abortion ;its never been really settled law. I suspect this will be the same. As always you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. People can call it what they wish; plain and simple.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:49 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,849,003 times
Quote:

The States still have the right to issue local regulations. What they don't have the right to do is to discriminate against people. So if pot is legal or illegal the law must be applied equally to all the citizens. Same is true for the concealed carry license. The State can set local regulations, but those regulations must be applied equally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies