Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 04:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You guys lump all conservatives together. Quid pro quo.
Fail.
Still didn't address me, and still blamed a different poster.
Great argument skills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:35 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Can't we just send guys like this to an island?

Old 06-17-2012, 04:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Or those men and women could have used a medical device that's been around for thousands of years called a condom. Much cheaper than having a baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Condoms are cheap and you don't need a prescription. Even King Tut had a condom.
If you love condoms so much, you use them. As you said, condoms have been around for thousands of years... ... hmmm... writing has been around for that long but we don't use styluses (stylii) anymore... we barely use ballpoint pens in the age of smartphones and tablet computers. There are female condoms, cervical caps, and IUD's that aren't as expensive as pills. The take home should be that, in the 21st Century, men and women should have something better to use than condoms. No... some want to celebrate ancient and unsatisfactory ways of doing things. That's so sad I can't even come up with something pithy and pointed to say to finish this post... ...

Old 06-17-2012, 04:56 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
I wonder what happened in the "cave man days" when the cavemen went from cave to cave, having sex with all the women. Did anyone drag him back to the cave, to own up to his responsibility? Did cavemen know that sex created babies?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:41 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Since some don't seem to believe their Jesus......thousands of years of humans acting like humans should tell us the poor will always be with us....

It seems so odd that in a country of "christians" the Wealthy are worshipped and defended and the poor recieve all the hate....

The Wealthy can rob and steal and destroy lives and not pay taxes and 'christians" don't scream about them. But let somone weaker or what they consider "less than" themselves get a penny of their precious MONEY(their second god) and the bully syndrome jumps right out and the hate starts.
I am a Christian and don't hate the poor. I support helping people who are "down on their luck." These people are not "down on their luck" or just unable to find a job. These are individuals who are becoming permanently dependent on government through their own irresponsible choices.

I think we need a welfare system where the parents are forced to work with a case worker to get off welfare. For example, let's have a pregnant woman who settled for that jerk go get the counseling she needs. Many women who settle for jerks have other issues. Work with these people on developing some career goals. Help them find jobs or volunteer work. Make them get a GED because most jobs require one. Make these people volunteer for their welfare checks. Most of these people get childcare assistance anyway. Help welfare recipients start businesses and work with them to find talents they could market to the general public. Make them attend parenting classes. And of course, give them a course on birth control. Even though I am a Christian who doesn't believe is sex before marriage, I still think people need to know about birth control.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I am a Christian and don't hate the poor. I support helping people who are "down on their luck." These people are not "down on their luck" or just unable to find a job. These are individuals who are becoming permanently dependent on government through their own irresponsible choices. """"

What is so hard for some of you to understand....Welfare helps feed and house CHILDREN!!!!!!!
Ya know, those innocent babies that Anti-Choice people don't want aborted. CHILDREN who can't go to work, who are NOT down on their luck, they were just dumped into this world with no say and people like you think what? They should be punished????
Why do you hate these children so much???

"""I think we need a welfare system where the parents are forced to work with a case worker to get off welfare. For example, let's have a pregnant woman who settled for that jerk go get the counseling she needs. Many women who settle for jerks have other issues. Work with these people on developing some career goals. Help them find jobs or volunteer work. Make them get a GED because most jobs require one. Make these people volunteer for their welfare checks. Most of these people get childcare assistance anyway. Help welfare recipients start businesses and work with them to find talents they could market to the general public. Make them attend parenting classes. And of course, give them a course on birth control. Even though I am a Christian who doesn't believe is sex before marriage, I still think people need to know about birth control.

Gee , what BIG GOVERNMENT you want!!!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:32 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
The child support system should really be abolished altogether. It really serves no purpose.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:32 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If you love condoms so much, you use them. As you said, condoms have been around for thousands of years... ... hmmm... writing has been around for that long but we don't use styluses (stylii) anymore... we barely use ballpoint pens in the age of smartphones and tablet computers. There are female condoms, cervical caps, and IUD's that aren't as expensive as pills. The take home should be that, in the 21st Century, men and women should have something better to use than condoms. No... some want to celebrate ancient and unsatisfactory ways of doing things. That's so sad I can't even come up with something pithy and pointed to say to finish this post... ...
I did use them from the late 1980s until just a few years ago. They're small, easily portable, and a man who doesn't want to have children should still use them even if the woman claims to be on the pill or some other form of BC because some women lie or the BC doesn't always work. If the girl or guy has an allergy to latex, there are non-latex versions that work just as well at preventing pregnancy, though some versions have a lower level of protection from STDs. When I was in school, both the guys and the girls had condoms to protect themselves. Most of the forms of BC you listed offer no protection from STDs and aren't as effective at preventing pregnancies as condoms.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I wonder what happened in the "cave man days" when the cavemen went from cave to cave, having sex with all the women. Did anyone drag him back to the cave, to own up to his responsibility? Did cavemen know that sex created babies?
Well now we get to a fun part of the conversation. I AM a 10,000-year-old Taoist caveman anthropologist channeling myself through a hapless contemporary knucklehead who lives in a van in these times. And I can report on what you ask.

Back when homo sapiens and homo neanderthalensis were still living as they were intended -- that is: as hunter-gatherers in small tribes -- their social units conformed to the natural state of always fewer than 150 individuals, collectively. At and under this magic number, now known by the science of anthropology as Dunbar's number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , the progenitors always fulfilled their duties with the children created -- as, indeed, the whole tribe participated in the raising and nurturing of every child.

Pretty cool, huh

Contemporary anthropologist Robin Dunbar, for whom the Dunbar's Number factor is eponymously named, has shown through top drawer studies, that the size of social primate species' neo-cortex can predict the maximum size of successful social primate units ... that is: the number of individuals that can live together with lice-picking-close concern for each others' welfare and best interests.

Once homo sapiens (youse guys reading this) reach numbers exceeding your Dunbar Number -- which is 150 people or less -- this social concern and bonding breaks down. As you can thus see, living together in nations of 312,000,000 or so presents a few problems. Including making babies that don't get cared for by the fathers and community.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The child support system should really be abolished altogether. It really serves no purpose.
Indeed!! Why should people have to be responsible for the children they produce?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies