Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
It did force people into paying for tv programing. Before I could get more than six stations on my antenna and now nothing. I hate it.
I don't use my antenna anymore but when I did, I was able to pick up more channel by extending it an additional 12 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
I'm not talking about it just being transmitted. The digital format creates a platform of deception.
Digital effects and transmission combined, gives the corrupt a tool to deceive.

It's a pretty simple reality.
I'd agree but that doesn't have anything to do with digital broadcasts...

Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Did you get your "free" converter? Did you program that converter for the new channels? You should be getting a dozen or so MORE channels then before the switch.
Yeah I got one of those. The problem is that you have to have a strong signal and be close to the tv station for it to show up on screen at all. Before you could receive stations up to several hundred miles away and it was still watchable though a bit on the fuzzy side, but not anymore. You either have to have a strong signal or you get nothing.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
The point is, the digital format allows for Psy-Op programming on an exponential scale.
You need to separate transmission and creation. I can create a whole lot of things using digital effects. I can watch them simultaneously on my computer screen and analog TV. There i absolutely no benefit to digital over analog as far as what content you can broadcast, it's just a simple on the fly conversion to either.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:16 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Get an HD antenna. They are broadcast in HD for free. I get the local KC channels through my Direct TV to watch my sports teams but have an HD antenna to pick up the local news channels where I live.
Those make sense. Though it certainly has made more money for those profiting from TVs and related equipment sells.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Well those didn't seem to be "free". Everyone I know ended up paying at least 10 bucks after the rebate.

Those were really a joke. They aren't going to work with comcast et al. They just converted analog to digital. Still need an "antennae" so not much of an improvement. Usually the "more" channels are just duplicates.
That is why I had "free" in my description. I got two and the only thing I had to pay was tax.
Why would they work with Comcast? They are for OTA channels.
What did/do you think they were/are for?

Your Set-top box would convert the signal to whatever your TV needed.

NO, the extra channels are NOT duplicates, almost every channel has at least one or two sub-channels.

If you don't have Cable or Sat you would already have an antenna.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
It did force people into paying for tv programing. Before I could get more than six stations on my antenna and now nothing. I hate it.
You would be one of the few most people got considerably more channels, for example my local PBS went from just the local broadcast too include a national and a crafts/food/DYI channel. I think we went from 5 to about 20 channels and they were all crystal clear.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
That is why I had "free" in my description. I got two and the only thing I had to pay was tax.
Why would they work with Comcast? They are for OTA channels.
What did/do you think they were/are for?

Your Set-top box would convert the signal to whatever your TV needed.

NO, the extra channels are NOT duplicates, almost every channel has at least one or two sub-channels.

If you don't have Cable or Sat you would already have an antenna.
The 40 was overpriced and many places sold them for more plus taxes.
I am not saying they were intended for comcast. Clearly I stated what purpose they were intended. I am saying they confused many people and were pretty pointless. OTA digital to digital is one thing, but a "digital" box to convert analog to digital is pretty pointless unless you had a TV that would only receive a digital signal and only analog was available. I have seen duplicates and triplicates of the "same" channels/broadcasters.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:48 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Those make sense. Though it certainly has made more money for those profiting from TVs and related equipment sells.
TV's have come way down in price though. My first HD was a big screen 52" cost like $2400. I got one last year after a good day at the craps table 60" for like $699. Now that I think about it I need to hit that crap table again haven't been for a while. lol

Old 06-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
TV's have come way down in price though. My first HD was a big screen 52" cost like $2400. I got one last year after a good day at the craps table 60" for like $699. Now that I think about it I need to hit that crap table again haven't been for a while. lol
I find TV pretty pointless. Don't watch much. Computers seem far more useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies