Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
There's a chance it won't be. If it isn't, then I am hopeful that future President Romney will overturn it.

LMFAO!!!!!

Yeah, without a 60 seat majority in the Senate, not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 05:25 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
LMFAO!!!!!

Yeah, without a 60 seat majority in the Senate, not going to happen.
Who's to say R's won't gain a majority or that they can't pick off a few moderate dems? Recall, many dems had to be BRIBED to vote in favor of this POS. I wonder how many of them regret that decision?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Who's to say R's won't gain a majority or that they can't pick off a few moderate dems? Recall, many dems had to be BRIBED to vote in favor of this POS. I wonder how many of them regret that decision?
A majority? Yeah, ok, maybe 51, maybe even 55 seats.

But Republicans have played the filibuster card, and if they tried to repeal this law, Democrats would stand on their soap box just like Republicans did.

Disfuntional government, both parties to blame, but if a repeal is blocked by a filibuster, you can thank Republicans for giving Dems the idea.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Quote:
Anyone who argues against the courts intepreting the constitution, doesn't understand the history of these United States.

Like the 9th Circuit...I rest my case

Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Mandate is unconstitutional.. Obamacare is funded by the mandate. Obamacare cannot stand without the mandate. The mandate will be struck down and Obamacare with it.
From your keyboard to God's ear.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
A majority? Yeah, ok, maybe 51, maybe even 55 seats.

But Republicans have played the filibuster card, and if they tried to repeal this law, Democrats would stand on their soap box just like Republicans did.

Disfuntional government, both parties to blame, but if a repeal is blocked by a filibuster, you can thank Republicans for giving Dems the idea.
Right. Because republicans invented the filibuster just as recently as Obamacare. You lefties are a funny bunch!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Like the 9th Circuit...I rest my case
Its still their job to intepret the constitution. BTW, the 9th circuit issued a ruling which Democrats didn't like the other day, read about it.

Its the job of the court, all federal courts, to interpret the constitution. Now, if its a circuit court, you are free to appeal that ruling to the Supreme court, and then there will be a final decision.

But that is how our system of government works. It never fails to amaze me, that the people who scream "constitution" so much, know so little about how our government has worked for over 200 years.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Right. Because republicans invented the filibuster just as recently as Obamacare. You lefties are a funny bunch!
Republicans Setting Filibuster Record

They've set a record for filibusters in a single term.

Now, before you say I'm a liberal or something, I'm against the use of the filibuster. I think if the majority votes, then thats the way it should be. Nothing in the Constitution about 60 Senators to pass a damned thing.

At any rate, if the filibuster continues to be used, I feel it should be used in the original way it was meant to. Make those idiots stand up there and talk about their dog for 24 hours, break out the cots so they can sleep in the Senate.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Republicans Setting Filibuster Record

They've set a record for filibusters in a single term.

Now, before you say I'm a liberal or something, I'm against the use of the filibuster. I think if the majority votes, then thats the way it should be. Nothing in the Constitution about 60 Senators to pass a damned thing.

At any rate, if the filibuster continues to be used, I feel it should be used in the original way it was meant to. Make those idiots stand up there and talk about their dog for 24 hours, break out the cots so they can sleep in the Senate.
Well, when you have the democrats trying to push through crap legislation that nobody read and are making backroom deals and bribes to get people to vote for it, I'm all for a good filibuster.

I'm not too concerned though. I'm fairly confident (~65% chance +/-) that SCOTUS will rule it unconstitutional.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Well, when you have the democrats trying to push through crap legislation that nobody read and are making backroom deals and bribes to get people to vote for it, I'm all for a good filibuster.

I'm not too concerned though. I'm fairly confident (~65% chance +/-) that SCOTUS will rule it unconstitutional.
Nope, most of the filibusters used have been on legislation that has been fully read.

Hell, it was the threat of the filibuster that made the AFL such bad legislation, because Republicans wouldn't let ANYTHING pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies