Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:44 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,215,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomAndLiberty View Post
WOW! Where in the world at? I am in the SouthEast and its down to 3.15 in my town for regular.
Gas in Seattle is over $4/gallon. Here in NM, it's dropped about 30 cents/gallon just in the last 6 weeks or so. I just bought gas in Albuquerque for $3.35.

If more people had hybrid vehicles, demand would fall and so would prices. It only takes 5 gallons to fill a hybrid vehicle, you know. Get a diesel car, and you can run your car off discount vegetable oil from Costco for $2.50 or whatever the current price is. There are alternatives, we don't have to be so dependent on the price of gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 01:45 PM

56 posts, read 44,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Derangement? Have you missed all the recent bad economic news from the US and Europe (and even Asia)? Oil prices generally fall when there is bad economic news, because the demand for oil is predicted to fall. Oil prices generally rise when there is good economic news because demand is predicted to rise.

Oh boy! Have you missed all previous lessons on gasoline prices? They have nothing to do with speculators, presidents, consumption, weather, wars, etc. It has everything to do with how much big oil can gouge you and get away with, without losing profits. Big oil sets their profit margain to whatever they want, anytime they want. Its called the free market. Even OPEC pricing is BS. If pricing was the answer we would set our prices by what Canada sells us, because they sell us the majority of our oil.

You should recognize as demand continues to plumet in America, the price continues to rise. Valero oil made it clear 6 years ago in the last major gouge that started the Depression in America.

"I don't feel the obligation that we have to run at a loss and our shareholders would not expect us to run at a loss," Klesse said. He added he expected profit margins to improve heading into summer, when road travel typically peaks.

In other words, you buy less gas, we don't care, we set our watch by how much profits are CEOs, Board members and stickholders EXPECT.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:46 PM

77,020 posts, read 47,402,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
GOP logic: Gas goes up, Obama's fault. Gas goes down, not Obama's fault.
yes

But for the sake of honesty, I should add that Bush was also blamed for $4.00+ gas and then not credited when it came down. Such is the world of politics.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:50 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,215,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shintao View Post
Oh boy! Have you missed all previous lessons on gasoline prices? They have nothing to do with speculators, presidents, consumption, weather, wars, etc. It has everything to do with how much big oil can gouge you and get away with, without losing profits. Big oil sets their profit margain to whatever they want, anytime they want. Its called the free market. Even OPEC pricing is BS. If pricing was the answer we would set our prices by what Canada sells us, because they sell us the majority of our oil.

You should recognize as demand continues to plumet in America, the price continues to rise. Valero oil made it clear 6 years ago in the last major gouge that started the Depression in America.
The price of oil also depends on conflicts that may be going on in oil-producing areas, like Nigeria. "Even" OPEC pricing is BS? The cartel was formed for the very purpose of arbitrary pricing. That's what cartels do. Control supply, and price their product however they want to their benefit.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,182,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The price of fuel just keeps falling.

Does Obama get the credit? He got the blame when prices went up.

Lower gas prices could serve as stimulus - Jun. 15, 2012
I took special notice of this link in the middle of your link. It is very interesting and maybe you can see that all this new oil play is in areas that were drilled out years ago, except that the new method of finding oil and gas has been developed and some very strong competition has been bred in every county seat in this part of the state. Our little courthouse had solid cars around it for about 4 months last winter as reps of companies were busy buying leases for a pile of money.

The drilling is bringing on much oil and gas but there is a serious problem involved. It is being done by the method called FRACKING which works very well but it takes lots of water, the one thing we are short of, to the extreme. Also, according to some people fracking poisons ground water, which it does not, and causes new earth quake activity in the area that has them all the time in northeast Oklahoma and south east Kansas.

Fracking is done at over 5000 feet and out ground water comes from less than 1000 feet. Look at those numbers and tell me how it poisons drinking water.

Many problems but the money has rolled in for farmers and will continue as more oil is struck. These tiny towns like in the video are booming with oil people, drillers now.

Oil boom brews in rural Kansas - Video - Business News

Old 06-16-2012, 03:14 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,478,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I took special notice of this link in the middle of your link. It is very interesting and maybe you can see that all this new oil play is in areas that were drilled out years ago, except that the new method of finding oil and gas has been developed and some very strong competition has been bred in every county seat in this part of the state. Our little courthouse had solid cars around it for about 4 months last winter as reps of companies were busy buying leases for a pile of money.

The drilling is bringing on much oil and gas but there is a serious problem involved. It is being done by the method called FRACKING which works very well but it takes lots of water, the one thing we are short of, to the extreme. Also, according to some people fracking poisons ground water, which it does not, and causes new earth quake activity in the area that has them all the time in northeast Oklahoma and south east Kansas.

Fracking is done at over 5000 feet and out ground water comes from less than 1000 feet. Look at those numbers and tell me how it poisons drinking water.

Many problems but the money has rolled in for farmers and will continue as more oil is struck. These tiny towns like in the video are booming with oil people, drillers now.

Oil boom brews in rural Kansas - Video - Business News

Are you giving Obama credit for facilitating the oil patch boom?

Old 06-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Gimmeh my 2 dollar a gallon gas, GOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newt Gingrich's gas price gambit - POLITICO.com

I remember when it was 79 cents a gallon. My dad remembers when it was 5 cents. TAKE US /baCK
Your dad is a really old poop, isn't he? I will be 80 soon and the cheapest I remember was $0.25. Where did your dad live back then?

Old 06-16-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Partisan blinders. You can get them on ebay.
Those blinders must work for both groups since you know where to go. Do you wear yours most of the time?

Old 06-16-2012, 03:25 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,478,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Your dad is a really old poop, isn't he? I will be 80 soon and the cheapest I remember was $0.25. Where did your dad live back then?

Naw, not really. I'll be 63 next week and remember buying gas for 7 cents during one of our semi-frequent "gas wars" among the local stations (this would have been early to mid-60's). The typical price then was about a quarter a gallon.

Too bad they don't have gas wars anymore.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Are you giving Obama credit for facilitating the oil patch boom?
Surely not, at all. Well maybe that is wrong since he allows drilling on private land inside our boundaries and that is where all that fracking is taking place. Naw, I don't think I will give Obama or Chu any credit for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies