Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:58 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why pick on France? I think those things happen in almost every country. Some see the daylight, most are kept in the dark...
Because it was in the news. If this goes on in other parts of Europe, Americans aren't aware of it.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:02 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwalkLikeArabbit View Post
I don't believe it

A) They aren't. What kind of threat are you talking about? Murder? Rape? They're only "protected" from things like horny men who can't take no and if you do that to my sister, I'll kill you.. you mean that kind of 'protected class'??
Too good a point to let go uncommented upon. Women rarely win rape cases. The crime shouldn't be that common in the first place. What's wrong with men that they can't abide by the law? At least 1/3 of college men said in a poll that they'd commit rape if they could get away with it. They sounded as though they didn't even consider it a crime. No concern whatsoever to the devastating trauma women suffer from this, that can derail their lives for years. What's wrong with people?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurb View Post
If you refuse to believe it, ask yourself these questions:

A). Why are women a protected class

B). Why do women get the same opportunity to enlist in the military without the same obligation to register for the draft?

C). Why Do men get more traffic tickets than women, desptite the fact that men are better drivers? Yes, it's been proven.

The bottom line answer to these questions, IMO is that this is a feminist country that likes to coddle its women while kicking it's men in the teeth. If you know that typical chic who sweet talks her self out of tickets or if you had the sisters who was held in higher regard by your parents than you, I'm sure you can relate to this rant.
You're not married, are you?

Old 06-17-2012, 06:20 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because it was in the news. If this goes on in other parts of Europe, Americans aren't aware of it.
Americans are not aware about many things going on in Europe or else in the World. Positive news seldom make the headlines. But it seems that negative - especially from Europe or particularly from France, are usually inflated to boost America's ego...

Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
It probably sucks if you're a loser, regardless of gender.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:

B). Why do women get the same opportunity to enlist in the military without the same obligation to register for the draft?

C). Why Do men get more traffic tickets than women, desptite the fact that men are better drivers? Yes, it's been proven.

The bottom line answer to these questions, IMO is that this is a feminist country that likes to coddle its women while kicking it's men in the teeth. If you know that typical chic who sweet talks her self out of tickets or if you had the sisters who was held in higher regard by your parents than you, I'm sure you can relate to this rant.
Funny. If I thought you were serious, my response would be "Wuss."

Old 06-17-2012, 10:29 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Have you thought about men to have a relationship with?
Because clearly women intimidate the hell out of you.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

well for starters: we have no draft in America and haven't for years, so explain how you came to the conclusion about the draft registration.

Men might be better drivers I have no idea, I would love to know where you did your research, but men do drive faster than women overall, so I don't think your comments are correct.

What do you mean by a protected class?

it sounds to me like you might have just had a run in with your mom and dad and are not very happy right now or you need to think things through a little closer?

Nita

Old 06-17-2012, 05:31 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
The OP has some very valid points. Unfortunately, when a man wants to discuss what he sees as gender inequality against males, he is often written off and flames. To a small degree, I see that happening here in this discussion. I ask you to listen to him and each other respectfully. I sometimes think about this too, and I will explain. I will try to cover both sides, so bear with me.
First of all, to the poster who says there is no draft, that is partially true. The Selective Service requires that each male born in the U. S. register at the age of 18 in case the draft is reinstated. A male who fails to register without a valid exemption will never be able to get a federal job, federal student loan money, and several other things. There is no registration for females. I believe that is what the OP was referring to. Now, the draft will almost certainly never be used in this country due to the 'all-volunteer force' mentality of today's Military and the large number of military reservists, which are also all voluntary.
Women tend to have a lot more social freedom than men. Women can wear just about any style of clothes, take on most jobs, and express themselves more freely than men. Just go to the Fashion and Beauty forum and you will see what I mean. A man who violates these social norms will most likely have his sexuality called into question and face harassment. In extreme cases, he may become a victim of physical violence. I'm not saying women get off totally free in these areas, they just have a lot more leeway.
Women tend to get less traffic tickets than men, yes that is true. They also tend to receive lighter sentences than men in most cases for the same offense. That is not true when it comes to mandatory minumum sentences for drug offenses at the federal level, that is where women get the short end of the stick. A women is much less likely than a man to be sentenced to death or executed and a murderer is more likely to be sentenced to death when the victim is a woman, especially a young attractive white woman. Men are more likely to be victimized in every category of crime except for rape and domestic violence.
To answer another question in this thread. the reason that women are considered a protected class or given 'minority status' is that they were oppressed in the past like minority groups. They did not have many of the same rights that men had for quite some time. Affirmative action tends to benefit women.
Men still tend to make more than women for the same job, though that is getting less and less so. Men still occupy most positions of high rank in companies and politics. All of the highest paid professional athletes are men. In a 2-parent household, the man is usually still considered the head. Still, the woman usually takes the man's last name during a marriage. Men are no longer socially required to pay on dates every time.
In fashion, men are not as pressured to look good. They are not nearly as sexualized as women. They are not expected to shave all their body hair and put on cosmetics. Although victimized more than women in crime, they are less likely to be injured.
While much has been said about quotas requiring women to be given jobs that in the past were primarily occupied by men, men receive a similar consideration when going into jobs that were primarily occupied by women, The fields of nursing and social work, for example, are always searching for men to join their ranks.
There is an explanation for whatever your take on this issue is. Women were once considered less equal than men and had to fight for what they have now. That includes social advantages. Many people, both women and men, believe that men need to have their own gender equality movement. While I support such a movement myself, the major problem that I see with that is that it will get very little action because a lot of men will see that as an attack on their manhood. Unfortunately, in many eyes, a man who aspires to do what women do or are socially allowed to do is making himself less of a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies