Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Anybody can go in and edit wiki.
That depends, if you have person like Connolley with administrative privileges and they are willing to abuse them to further their own agenda you can easily control the content. For example a moderator here could easily control the discussion if they are left to do what they want and willing to abuse those privileges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 04:06 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Al Gore, for instance...
And all those moronic intellectuals in Hollywood who gave him some kind of dumb award.

Smart?

I think not.

Sorta smart like those who quote Wiki as the gospel truth.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why would u not accept science observation of global patterns? however to say man is sole owner of global warming is not science nor true. what he is sole owner of is pollution.
not completely true. granted man does put out a fair amount of emissions from a variety of sources, nature does also. it just depends on the pollutant that one chooses to measure as to which puts out more, man or nature.

Quote:
This is what the global warming loons are reduced to. Duh well if you don't believe in global warming your just not smart enough to understand any of it. LOL.

Why don't you genius warmers all tell us what the optimum temperature of the earth should be to even begin with as that is where the argument should start. Somehow no warmer has ever been able to answer that question. All these smarter than everybody else warmers can't even tell us what temp we are shooting for or basing all their nonsense off of. Only that oil and humans and coal are all evil and we gotta pay folks in third world countries billions of dollars because we are meanies. Yeah they are smarter than everybody else my arse. Pure ignorance is leading that flock of bamboozlers and useful idiots.
i cant rep you again, but i would give you several reps for this post. i too have been asking over and over again what the climate change alarmists think the proper mean temperature of the earth should be, and i too have gotten no answer. granted the standard temperature for scientific use has been set at 70 degrees F, but that i believe is arbitrary, and only used to set a standard for scientific experiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I believe in global warming and believe that humans do have a role in it, unlike most of my fellow conservatives. That being said, I think a lot of the liberals take the global warming issue wayyyy too far - and I disagree with liberals on how we should deal with it. I also don't think it's necessarily unintelligent to be skeptical about it - the earth HAS been cooling and warming forever. I simply feel it's at warming at a more accelerated pace now than is typical during a warming period and I think humans are partially to blame.

Even if global warming is not caused by humans, I think we are clearly causing a lot of problems - like pollution - so we should do more to protect the environment. That does not mean I support cap and trade or not drilling for oil or anything like that. I think we should accept that we're going to be using fossil fuels and try to switch to cleaner ones (like natural gas and clean coal) - as quickly as possible, but I don't think we should do anything that screws our economy even more to accomplish the switch. I think we need to build more nuclear power plants and use more nuclear power as well, though I understand why people have concerns about nuclear power plants and I have some concerns about them myself. Solar and wind power is simply not feasible to use on a large scale right now. I also think people need to realize that we're going to be relying on oil for a long time - and, while we should be trying to reduce our use of it, I'd rather it come from the US than from the Middle East so I do support increased drilling for oil in the US in the short-term (but only in the short-term).
for the most part i agree with you. i agree that we need to be good stewards of the environment, but i also believe that regulations need to be tempered towards a balance of what is best for the environment, and what is best for man.

and i also agree that we need to develop cleaner alternative energy sources that are renewable, and still inexpensive. but we need to keep government OUT of the mix as they would only screw things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The consensus is that the globe haw warmed over the last century. Where that consensus begins to splinter is how much, what the cause is etc. Determining if the temperature has risen is problematic because of some of the issues I've outlined above and that's the easy part. If you have accurate data, it is what it is.

Determining the cause and what effects the huge amount variables can have on global temperatures is whole other ball game. For example I often like to compare hurricane models to global temperature models that are used to predict the future. 20 years ago hurricane models were not that accurate but they get better as time goes by. They have very accurate data, faster computers and most importantly they can test them against known results again and again.
accurate hurricane modeling can be done fairly easily on the computer, as we can always go back and check the conditions that were in effect at the time of the hurricane, and duplicate those on the computer, and fine tune the effort. climate modeling however is far more complex, and much harder to get any kind of accurate result as there are many more variables to deal with.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM

865 posts, read 623,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
It's interesting that America's Best and Brightest are the biggest Global Warming aficionados.

Is Global Warming just too complicated for the average brain to follow?
I literally LOL'd. Too funny!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:46 PM

865 posts, read 623,144 times
What I find even more funny is that you believe there was once absolutely nothing. And nothing happened to the nothing until the nothing magically exploded (for no reason), creating everything and everywhere. Then a bunch of the exploded everything magically arranged itself (for no reason), into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

...and we're less intelligent?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rather than listen to a bunch of opinionated key board commandos tell us all about what they think of global warming what do the scientists say?,the climatologists,the meteorologists the guys who have spent a life time studying Earths climatic conditions.
A growing number of those you mention are saying that the warming part is Pelosi. However, most of them work at universities and other places where they don't get any UN grants to say what warmers wanted to hear. I wonder why it is that they all work at places where they don't get any UN money. Can you explain that?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:00 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
This is what the global warming loons are reduced to. Duh well if you don't believe in global warming your just not smart enough to understand any of it. LOL.

Why don't you genius warmers all tell us what the optimum temperature of the earth should be to even begin with as that is where the argument should start. Somehow no warmer has ever been able to answer that question. All these smarter than everybody else warmers can't even tell us what temp we are shooting for or basing all their nonsense off of. Only that oil and humans and coal are all evil and we gotta pay folks in third world countries billions of dollars because we are meanies. Yeah they are smarter than everybody else my arse. Pure ignorance is leading that flock of bamboozlers and useful idiots.

Maybe not smarter in your mind but certainly more intelligent and articulate. So be intelligent enough to not call people idiots because you don't agree with them. It really makes you look bad

Old 06-16-2012, 09:02 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
A growing number of those you mention are saying that the warming part is Pelosi. However, most of them work at universities and other places where they don't get any UN grants to say what warmers wanted to hear. I wonder why it is that they all work at places where they don't get any UN money. Can you explain that?
So... University professors and researchers DON'T get government money?

Gotcha.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Observant people are those who make themselves intelligent by looking and watching and comparing. YEARS ago they had an organization in Canada called POLLUTION PROBE. They were a watch dog organization that kept an eye on smoke stacks..that on foggy days or at night would send tons of pollution into the air on the sly...They also watched to see who was dumping poisons into the water- THIS IS NOT ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING...THIS IS ABOUT COMMON POLLUTION- DIRT.....FILTH....POISON...being dumped into the air, water and earth.................

I don't care if it is getting warmer or colder...The point is we are making the place so damned dirty due to human activity combined with greed without purpose- that we are making the world unfriendly to natural life- we are natural life and someone had better clean their damned room or they are not getting their allowance.

Industrial tycoons and those in poverty...are like children with a filthy room with poop smeared on the walls...and these little pigs still expect a reward for work NOT done.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,791 times
Carbon dioxide must be outlawed!!!!Lutz.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies