Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:47 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,928,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
* Romney is a mystery. We can judge him on three things: his governorship, Bain Capital, and his words. This makes it a jumbled picture - so how can one say where he stands?
* Obama is conservative so far, continuing repub programs. But they are afraid he could change, especially if he can overcome repub obstructionism.
I don't know if I would call Obama a Conservative, but he certainly has not been a liberal democrat. He is center left but not left wing. I am basing my observations of Romney based on how he has governed and the fact that he is not an idiot. I also look at who supports him as they probably know more about the man than we do. Based on that information, I would call him a moderate. I don't think you can trust anything he says...that is why people call him flipper as he flip flops a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 04:01 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I don't know if I would call Obama a Conservative, but he certainly has not been a liberal democrat. He is center left but not left wing. I am basing my observations of Romney based on how he has governed and the fact that he is not an idiot. I also look at who supports him as they probably know more about the man than we do. Based on that information, I would call him a moderate. I don't think you can trust anything he says...that is why people call him flipper as he flip flops a lot.
ALL politicians speak with forked tongue, both sides of their mouthes, etc.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Privatize social security means handing it over to the Wall Street conglomerates that already trashed my 401ks..
Despite the fact thats not what it means, why do you not have a problem giving it to government who trashed your retirement, and has absolutely nothing left?

Old 06-16-2012, 04:04 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,430,439 times
Quote:
See post #31 as an example as to why you fall into the moderate range. For the far right there is no room for compromise. There is no middle ground. They are ideologues which are no different than the far left. My opinion on things can vary day to day based on new information that I receive. Ideologues and people on the far right do not change their positions.
I agree. The "my way or the highway" attitude and the "I'll never listen to what anyone else has to say" attitude are making the political discourse in this country toxic. I fear for our future if the hyper-partisans on both sides don't learn that sometimes they have to compromise, that they will not get everything their way, and that the majority of Americans will never agree exactly with them on every single issue. The country is more divided and polarized than ever before - or at least than in any time in remotely recent history - and it's sad. We're all Americans, we're all in this together, and I do think most of us want what we think is best for the country - we just disagree about what is best. I wish the hyper-partisans would see that.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Based on that information, I would call him a moderate. I don't think you can trust anything he says...that is why people call him flipper as he flip flops a lot.
He hasn't really flip flopped that much...he certainly changed his stance on abortion but, other than that, he's changed his "stances" on things that aren't really real issues - like "no new tax pledges" and his views on Reagan. He also - like any politican - words things differently when talking to different audiences. I'm sure he's changed his stances on some minor issues that I'm not aware of, but everyone does.

If I could choose anyone to be president, it certainly wouldn't be Mitt Romney, but given the choices this year - I am more than happy to support him.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree. The "my way or the highway" attitude and the "I'll never listen to what anyone else has to say" attitude are making the political discourse in this country toxic. I fear for our future if the hyper-partisans on both sides don't learn that sometimes they have to compromise, that they will not get everything their way, and that the majority of Americans will never agree exactly with them on every single issue. The country is more divided and polarized than ever before - or at least than in any time in remotely recent history - and it's sad. We're all Americans, we're all in this together, and I do think most of us want what we think is best for the country - we just disagree about what is best. I wish the hyper-partisans would see that.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
He hasn't really flip flopped that much...he certainly changed his stance on abortion but, other than that, he's changed his "stances" on things that aren't really real issues - like "no new tax pledges" and his views on Reagan. He also - like any politican - words things differently when talking to different audiences. I'm sure he's changed his stances on some minor issues that I'm not aware of, but everyone does.

If I could choose anyone to be president, it certainly wouldn't be Mitt Romney, but given the choices this year - I am more than happy to support him.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:18 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,928,386 times
Quote:

The flipper list, which of course is not all inclusive.

14 Bald-Faced Mitt Romney Flip-Flops That Were Dug Up By John McCain - Business Insider

Old 06-16-2012, 04:23 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Despite the fact thats not what it means, why do you not have a problem giving it to government who trashed your retirement, and has absolutely nothing left?
Privatizing Social Security is a thinly-veiled attempt to boost investment in Wall Street and boost stock values. Gambling with people's retirement is worse than gov't mismanagement. It's really a very easy problem to fix, there's no need to privatize it.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Go through each one of those and you'll see that most are not real flip flops.

Take the one on gay marriage, for example. Romney was against the constitutional amendment because it would have banned any form of legal recognition for same-sex couples, however he was always for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

As far as the Bush tax cuts, he never said he was against them. So it's not a flip flop to say he supported them four years later...especially given that - on a specific policy rather than something simply ideological - people will of course form opinions or change their minds after they look at the positives and negatives of it.

These are just two examples...it's a stretch to say that most of these are flip flops and it's a stretch to say that many of these things are even "issues" (his views on Reagan or whether he owns a gun are not "issues").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies