Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

There are far too many "churches" like this one.. Houses of the Holy - thestar.com I say tax them till they bleed.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I totally agree. Churches do a lot of good in the community and are not in business to make a profit. Profits are what is taxed when you run a business. The money a business makes for those of you who are getting a free ride paid for by me. Gee it is sure funny the libs are not asking the same question about Planned Parenthood, Acorn, Unions, but always pick on churches.

Put it this way, I was poor. Flat broke actually. I went to a local church and got help and counseling I needed to find a job. I am employed now. Even looking into taking a few courses to improve my job skills. The help of my church saved me from going on food stamps, Medicaid, and looking to other taxpayer supported programs. Therefore, this church saved the taxpayers money.
Thanks for that. In fact, let's itemize the things my rather small church does.

-- GED/Job training
-- Soup kitchen for the homeless
-- Working in conjunction with 12 other churches, provides shelter for homeless families
-- A nutrition clinic/wellwater drilling operation in Haiti
-- School supplies for 200 rural poor children
-- A summer camp for children in the same location
-- Counseling services
-- An AA chapter
-- Through our attorneys in the congregation, ongoing pro-bono legal advice for poor
-- Building homes for Habitat for Humanity
-- Fixing homes for those who cannot afford it
-- An appliance ministry, restoring appliances and giving it to those who cannot afford them
-- A prison ministry oriented around mainstreaming convicts into productive lives
-- A program that provides the basics for indigent mothers, from baby clothes and furniture to nutrition

And the list goes on. Mind you, this is in a congregation of 1,000.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There are far too many "churches" like this one.. Houses of the Holy - thestar.com I say tax them till they bleed.
Okay. So tax the 99.9% of churches based on the abuses of 0.1%? Good strategy there.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. So tax the 99.9% of churches based on the abuses of 0.1%? Good strategy there.
Even worse, that church, was in Canada, not the US, so these people want to change our tax code, based upon abuse in Canada?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Even worse, that church, was in Canada, not the US, so these people want to change our tax code, based upon abuse in Canada?
Good catch, that. So now we have Canadians weighing in on how the United States government should write the tax code vis-à-vis churches. I mean, I bet if I got on the Canadian boards and offered my opinion on how their government should operate, I'm guessing I wouldn't get a very polite response.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In other words, you're all in favor of bringing the vast apparatus of government down on the shoulders of any organization with whom you don't agree. Forget that they might be going about their business in a peaceful, constructive manner. Forget that they are operating within the law. Forget that they may represent an unqualified good in their charitable work. You don't like them, so off with their heads.

Hey, I'm not a fan of megachurches, either. But they are operating fully within their rights as a non-profit. And they seem to be far less about the arbitrary and capricious use of power than you.
Please don't put words in my mouth.
Lots of "may" statements. They "may" do no charitable work except for lining the pockets of the con men who run them.

I believe all religions are filled with con men and women.

And all churches should lose their non-profit status.

Tax the churches.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
In my town there are quite a few "Churches" that are basically money making schemes that pay no taxes and have gotten huge discounts on utilities.

They have this nice little scam, hold service once or twice a week and pay no taxes.
Absolutely false. Completely, totally, 100% false.

You need to stop telling lies like this.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Religious tax exemptions cost U.S. $71.1 billion, report says

Since everyone knows that all religion is big business, shouldn't all churches and religious institutions be taxed?
Here is the first sentence in this "article" you cited.

"Tax breaks for religious institutions cost the United States at least $71.1 billion annually, according to a new report by Ryan T. Cragun, Stephanie Yeager and Desmond Vega of the Council for Secular Humanism"

Three anti-religious people, with a secular humanist agenda, find exactly what they set out to find - and do so regardless of facts.

...and people are STUPID enough to believe this kind of nonsense.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Yes. Without question, religious organizations ought to be taxed. They should be allowed to deduct bona fide charitable work (homeless shelters and so forth) but taxed on everything else at the corporate rate.
And all other 501(3) non-profit entities must be taxed equally, as well.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:54 PM

589 posts, read 850,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Absolutely false. Completely, totally, 100% false.

You need to stop telling lies like this.

YOU are in no position to make any comments about what is going on in a town you know nothing about.

Here we go again, with big George letting little George do his thinking for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies