Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
if we taxed evenly and fairly..the government can give just as much on less than 15%
Math doesn't backup your statement. In 2007, total personal income was $11,900,562,000. 15% of that is $1,785,084,300, which is roughly half the budget of the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Math doesn't backup your statement. In 2007, total personal income was $11,900,562,000. 15% of that is $1,785,084,300, which is roughly half the budget of the federal government.
us total personal REPORTED income is 12.9 trillion...meanwhile as much as 50% more goes unreported could be much closer to 19 trillion

and the budget just 10 years ago was right around 2 trillion

15% would be almost that (1.93 trillion)

which is why we should get rid of the income tax and the estate tax and the corporate tax and go to a consumption tax

Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:

which is why we should get rid of the income tax and the estate tax and the corporate tax and go to a consumption tax
why the estate tax?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
why the estate tax?
Estate taxes are inherently what I called the hoardings of instruments of credit. To retain a family legacy, it may behoove one to buy up land, but it does nothing to advance the condition of humanity. Estate by its definition is associated with land. Land is then used as a credit instrument to make unearned claims against human progress and productivity.

That is why the estate tax. At least in the old feudal system the landed gentry provided military protection. These days land owners just want to be leaches.

Why a consumption tax is my question. Anything consumed involved work. What work went behind the growth in the value of an estate?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
why the estate tax?
why keep it??

why would you want to tax someone 2,3,4 times on the same money

why should the state or federal government get 55% of a business or farm that your parents worked their fingers to the bone for???

why not SIMPLIFY the federal tax system...get rid of the dozens of taxes, and have one...based on spending

think of the tax the rich guy is going to pay on that lexus

FairTax | American for Fair Taxation | Tax Reform Solutions | Consumption Tax - Americans For Fair Taxation

Old 06-19-2012, 01:31 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
why keep it??

On the same unearned income? Its also based upon the centric labor theory of taxation, as if it has only been cleansed by direct taxes on labor. Earned income should be nontaxable.

Quote:
why should the state or federal government get 55% of a business or farm that your parents worked their fingers to the bone for???
Capital should be exempt. Money earned from capital and rolled into ground value, not exempt.

Quote:
]
why not SIMPLIFY the federal tax system...get rid of the dozens of taxes, and have one...based on spending

FairTax | American for Fair Taxation | Tax Reform Solutions | Consumption Tax - Americans For Fair Taxation
Because as was so well demonstrated by the landed gentry of old, the money is in the real estate. Its an item of value and an instrument of credit, but the increase in value is from the economy around it.

Adam Smith certainly had no use for this "fair tax" when it was on salt. Luxury taxes were certainly more agreeable.

Henry George's Remedy: Part 9

Why are you taxing earned income is my question when there is unearned income?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
why keep it??

Most estate taxes are on unrealized gains. That means they were never taxed. An estate bought in 1970 for $1,000,000 may be worth $20,000,000 now. That $19,000,000 difference was never taxed, as one only pays taxes on property sold.

An analysis of that farm example couldn't come up with one example that that actually has happened.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Most estate taxes are on unrealized gains. That means they were never taxed. An estate bought in 1970 for $1,000,000 may be worth $20,000,000 now. That $19,000,000 difference was never taxed, as one only pays taxes on property sold.

An analysis of that farm example couldn't come up with one example that that actually has happened.
unrealized gains??? are you nuts

its still the same property

an example:

NEW YORK estate tax (old level) any thing over 100,000(federal was 600k at the time) was taxed at 55%

so if your parent bought a house in 1965 for 20k (THE GOING RATE) and in 2005 it was worth 450k (AGAIN THE GOING RATE) YOU would be taxed 55% of 350k ....do you think the average working class kid who just lost his parents has 192k just laying around....nope they will have to DUMP thier family home (and probably their residence) in a SHORT SALE and lose even more

its happened

Last edited by workingclasshero; 06-19-2012 at 02:30 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
us total personal REPORTED income is 12.9 trillion...meanwhile as much as 50% more goes unreported could be much closer to 19 trillion

and the budget just 10 years ago was right around 2 trillion

15% would be almost that (1.93 trillion)

So you and your consumption tax is going to tax my fortune AGAIN? I have hundreds of thousands of dollars in AFTER TAX wealth socked away for my retirement. It has already been taxed, in some cases heavily. Why should i start paying a consumption tax with money that was already taxed??? Double taxation???

How about we drop your fair tax scheme, they might add it without removing the taxes on income.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
unrealized gains??? are you nuts

its still the same property

an example:

NEW YORK estate tax (old level) any thing over 100,000(federal was 600k at the time) was taxed at 55%

so if your parent bought a house in 1965 for 20k (THE GOING RATE) and in 2005 it was worth 450k (AGAIN THE GOING RATE) YOU would be taxed 55% of 350k ....do you think the average working class kid who just lost his parents has 192k just laying around....nope they will have to DUMP thier family home (and probably their residence) in a SHORT SALE and lose even more

its happened
It is a simple concept, unrealized gain is the appreciation in property value. That $19 million in increased value was never taxed. Why should my cap gain be taxed if I sell before my death but it passes on to my heirs tax free if I don't sell?

Not sure about your "example" I suspect it is bogus. For one, the adjusted cost basis would increase with the cost of improvements. Plus, I'm thinking there are exemptions to the tax.

Busted, that didn't take long... For New York residents, an estate may be subject to the New York estate tax if the total of the federal gross estate, plus the federal adjusted taxable gifts and specific exemption, exceeds $1,000,000.

Wow, more lies to debunk.... That 55% tax? Is that your FINAL ANSWER? The New York estate tax rate is a progressive one that starts at 5.085% and rises to 16% for the amount above $10,040,000.

Last edited by buzzards27; 06-19-2012 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: myth busting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies