Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Your lost. There have always been corrupt judges, politicians and the criminals who run with them. It is the nature of the beast. Power corrupts. For some reason you think only the evil baby boomers are somehow corrupt. I guess you get fed nonsense long enough it takes hold.
NO, you are missing the point. The Boomer generation compared the the legacy of previous generations is exponentially worse.......You can argue about reconstruction or even the gilded age but we are talking modern times......You guys failed......And whats worse, your parents generation did SOO much to make this Country great.

Your parenting/divorce rates are atrocious as well. At least those are going down now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
One constant seems to be the whiny, entitlement mentality of teens and twentysomethings. From what I understand from my older brother, it was little different in the 60s. From my generation, the 70s and 80s were about identical. I graduated and entered the working world when we were recovering from a gas crisis and the first round of oursourcing, mortgage interest rates pushing 20% and a badly depressed job market. And yes, back in the 80s we also pedicted that SS would be bankrupt before we could collect. Like every other generation, we eventually grew up and carried our own weight. I suspect some of the posters on this thread will do so as well some day.
I am lucky, I have a good career. But now kids are graduating with huge debts and cant get jobs......your generation, baed on numbers, had it much easier than today.....how much did you buy your first car for????how much did it cost to fill it????

Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
NO, you are missing the point. The Boomer generation compared the the legacy of previous generations is exponentially worse.......You can argue about reconstruction or even the gilded age but we are talking modern times......You guys failed......And whats worse, your parents generation did SOO much to make this Country great.

Your parenting/divorce rates are atrocious as well. At least those are going down now.
I am not a boomer and I've been married for fifteen years thank you. No you want to talk about modern times now because you were called out on your nonsense. Now you think I'm a boomer so jump to trying to insult me by calling me a failure. Your getting pretty desperate now.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
One constant seems to be the whiny, entitlement mentality of teens and twentysomethings. From what I understand from my older brother, it was little different in the 60s. From my generation, the 70s and 80s were about identical. I graduated and entered the working world when we were recovering from a gas crisis and the first round of oursourcing, mortgage interest rates pushing 20% and a badly depressed job market. And yes, back in the 80s we also pedicted that SS would be bankrupt before we could collect. Like every other generation, we eventually grew up and carried our own weight. I suspect some of the posters on this thread will do so as well some day.
Fair enough. A bit of truth in your post. Perhaps this generation is a bit precious.

However, there is no modern precedent for the inequality in wealth across generations right now.

I am going to leave my house and my money to my kid, so at least he does not have to pay such a blasted huge mortgage as a I am pulling. I'll try to help with college too, but community college will be strongly recommended to start. If I can get more saved beyond that, I'd like to sponsor a scholarship at a local college. I have not made out well in stocks or real estate, but I have worked hard and saved. That is probably the best I can do, but hopefully it will help.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I am not a boomer and I've been married for fifteen years thank you. No you want to talk about modern times now because you were called out on your nonsense. Now you think I'm a boomer so jump to trying to insult me by calling me a failure. Your getting pretty desperate now.
I have no clue who you are....I am engaging you in dialog. My point is the Boomer generation is a failure. Congrats on a happy marriage and not being part of the worst Generation America will hopefully ever know.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
People react to what's in front of them. Nobody is actually under the impression that an entire generation just sucks for personal reasons are they? Whatever the world presents to you, you will be. There is little choice.

But it's fun to complain about people who aren't you.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
I am lucky, I have a good career. But now kids are graduating with huge debts and cant get jobs......your generation, baed on numbers, had it much easier than today.....how much did you buy your first car for????how much did it cost to fill it????
I bought my first car for ~$1000....of course it was well used. Funny thing is, 6-7 years ago when gas prices went through the roof and diesel prices were killing me, I bought a well used car to commute with....for $1000.

One difference, I actually worked for and paid for that first car. Unlike today, where a great many parents seem to think that they need to buy their precious teenagers a nearly new car to go to high school. What happened to walking or taking the bus? Gas was ~$1.25 a gallon, when I was making $2.75 an hour tossing 75# bails of hay all summer. Of course, that car got about 13mpg, not 30, so fuel bills as a percent of income were higher back then.

The biggest difference today, really...is in terms of government spending. It's ballooned dramatically, to the point that all of us are saddled with a debt we can't hope to pay.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I have no clue who you are....I am engaging you in dialog. My point is the Boomer generation is a failure. Congrats on a happy marriage and not being part of the worst Generation America will hopefully ever know.
"You guys failed"

This is what you call engaging in dialogue?? And who said I was happy in my marriage?? LOL

Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Fair enough. A bit of truth in your post. Perhaps this generation is a bit precious.

However, there is no modern precedent for the inequality in wealth across generations right now.

I am going to leave my house and my money to my kid, so at least he does not have to pay such a blasted huge mortgage as a I am pulling. I'll try to help with college too, but community college will be strongly recommended to start. If I can get more saved beyond that, I'd like to sponsor a scholarship at a local college. I have not made out well in stocks or real estate, but I have worked hard and saved. That is probably the best I can do, but hopefully it will help.
You mention passing on your house to your kid, an admirable goal. Let me ask...what were interest rates when you bought your first house? My first mortgage in the mid 80s was at 11.5%. That takes a huge chunk of your payment, vs today's sub-4% rates. Speaking of housing....what's wrong with building your own place? I did, or to be honest am still doing so. Really should be doing tile rather than wasting time here...but I'm tired of it!

I admit, the cost of an education today is just stupid. The greed within the education industry is just phenominal. There needs to be a major re-think in how the entire industry works, and the industry needs to respond with a fair cost for the quality of education received.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I bought my first car for ~$1000....of course it was well used. Funny thing is, 6-7 years ago when gas prices went through the roof and diesel prices were killing me, I bought a well used car to commute with....for $1000.

One difference, I actually worked for and paid for that first car. Unlike today, where a great many parents seem to think that they need to buy their teenagers a nearly new car to go to school. Gas was ~$1.25 a gallon, when I was making $2.75 an hour tossing 75# bails of hay all summer. Of course, that car got about 13mpg, not 30, so fuel bills as a percent of income were higher back then.

The biggest difference today, really...is in terms of government spending. It's ballooned dramatically, to the point that all of us are saddled with a debt we can't hope to pay.
My son was a fresh last year. His buddies parents bought him a brand new Escalade. I almost fell over. Then I take my kid to look at a '97 toyota here a few months back to get him and he says b...b...b...but Dad and I looked at him and said go get a friggen job if you want a new car. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies