Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The June JC Penney catalog caused a stir by featuring a pair of gay dads playing with their kids in a Fathers Day ad. But JC Penney isn't alone in seeing the gay audience as ripe for business: Marriott International, Allstate Insurance and American Airlines last week announced new marketing campaigns aimed at the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) audience.[LEFT]
Read more: Ads aim marketing at gay audience: Moving past "gay vague" - The Denver Post Ads aim marketing at gay audience: Moving past "gay vague" - The Denver Post

Quote:
"Equality Is." The campaign was designed by Leo Burnett Worldwide, a global ad agency which now has a division dedicated to marketing to the GLBT audience. And American Airlines recently introduced bus shelter ads in New York targeted to gay passengers, reportedly the first time a Fortune 500 company has used outdoor advertising to address the gay audience.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

That is subtle.
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM

This is one from Marriott. JCP was more subtle.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
One "Thousand" Mom's has very little to do with JCP's poor year. It's the "Fair and Square" pricing and new merchandising that has absolutely killed them. Outside of the people who watch cable news cycle and message boarders, (which is a miniscule % of the population) people don't know or care about JCP's support of the LGBT community. Face it...shoppers love coupons and frumpy clothing.

Retail is about price and product. Believe me, I know...I've been a retailer for 20 years. It's the Walmart mentality. Lots of people loathe Walmart and still shop there.
There is an old dictum in advertising: Show the product!
I think that the Fair and Square campaign would have succeeded if Penny had simply shown what could be bought at any time at a reduced price. They spent a bundle on ads that were so abstract that the clothes weren't even a part of the ads.

What is so surprising to me is that Target always shows the goods in a visually interesting and attractive manner. I would have thought that the former top notch Target guys Penny lured over would have realized this. Guess they weren't as top notch as Penny thought they were.

The fact is folks always like seasonal sales. The fair price strategy was a bust from the beginning, as there was no way to compare a regular priced item from one on sale. To make a comparison, a customer had to leave Penny's and go to another store!
It had nothing to do with gays- as often as not, a buyer who goes into a store by being attracted by a sale item often buys a regular priced item in addition to the one on sale.

Last edited by banjomike; 06-19-2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Read a few more. Try Reuters.
I just searched Reuters with several different tags, and found no results.
I did find several on the advertising for the new pricing fails.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Unemployed interior design wannabees do that a lot, I've noticed. It's all they have.

I have a feeling you think seeing 2 or more of the same sex in an ad makes the ad pro-gay. Two men driving down the street in a Ford does not make the ad pro-gay.
Now I suppose if you subscribe to gay magazines, that kind of garbage, you would see that stuff. If doing my research constitutes buying gay crap, no thanks.
Or take a bus in New York. Or look at travel sites. Or look into Levis stores windows.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I used to like Penneys. One time all I wanted was an all cotton sweater made in the USA. You wouldn't think that would have been all that hard to find but in the entire mall, no store had that except Penneys.
Does an American made cotton sweater at JCPenneys still exist?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I just searched Reuters with several different tags, and found no results.
I did find several on the advertising for the new pricing fails.
It is the first article that comes up with Google.

Are you calling the ad campaign a success? If yes, then I think youd idea of success if different from mine.

Quote:
The company last month acknowledged that the ads had resulted in the loss of some longtime Penney shoppers who had looked for markdowns.
"It is easy to lose core customers and much harder to win new ones.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is the first article that comes up with Google.

Are you calling the ad campaign a success? If yes, then I think youd idea of success if different from mine.
They are talking about the new pricing structure, and the lack of discounts.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Now I suppose if you subscribe to gay magazines, that kind of garbage, you would see that stuff. If doing my research constitutes buying gay crap, no thanks.
Yes, I believe companies place ads in gay mags, but JCP went "all-in" in the public arena.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
They are talking about the new pricing structure, and the lack of discounts.
It said THE ADS resulted in loss of core customers.

Are you calling the ad campaign a success? Yes, or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies