Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM

8,636 posts, read 9,150,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That makes absolutely no sense.
Of course you're confused. You can't help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 03:32 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,342,881 times
Some trade unions provide a pool of trained workers ready when an employer gets a job. When the job is over the employer can send them back. That is a very valuable asset for an employer. The non-union counterparts are not as well trained, don't go to apprentice school or get on the job training and do not have a pool of available workers at the ready.
I think there is a big difference between government unions and private unions.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
I actually come from a union family.

I out earn, and have a better lifestyle than any of the UNION STRONG workers, simply because I wasn't held back by the chains of unionism. I never wanted to just work for benefits and a pension.
"""" What the OP makes has NOTHING to do with what I posted. (More evidence that Repugs canNOT comprehend the written word)""""

It still stands,sorry that ALL Repugs can't comprehend English.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
You're hilarious!

It's like "you should see what MY friend has!".

BTW....I do alright.

(Better than MY sister actually!)
No, as usual you missed the point....it isn't that she has done so well, it's that she's a retired TEACHER who was a union member who has done so well........you seem so concerned that I thought this would give you a blown gasket....and don't deny what Union TEACHERS make bothers you, you've already proven you hate union members( your fellow middle class Americans) who do well..

Old 06-19-2012, 04:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,428,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, as usual you missed the point....it isn't that she has done so well, it's that she's a retired TEACHER who was a union member who has done so well........you seem so concerned that I thought this would give you a blown gasket....and don't deny what Union TEACHERS make bothers you, you've already proven you hate union members( your fellow middle class Americans) who do well..
My issue is not with public union pay or even the pensions. It's the lack of transparency and the unfunded liability that is kicked down the road.

If a given city wants to pay its teachers a given rate and a given pension then the cost should be funded on an ongoing basis. Actuarial assumptions need to be realistic. And the voter and taxpayer needs complete transparency on the real cost per hour or year per employee.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
You're hilarious!

It's like "you should see what MY friend has!".

BTW....I do alright.

(Better than MY sister actually!)
"""It's like "you should see what MY friend has!".

Which is EXACTLY like:

"""BTW....I do alright.

(Better than MY sister actually!)""""

Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM

59,216 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Some trade unions provide a pool of trained workers ready when an employer gets a job. When the job is over the employer can send them back. That is a very valuable asset for an employer. The non-union counterparts are not as well trained, don't go to apprentice school or get on the job training and do not have a pool of available workers at the ready.
I think there is a big difference between government unions and private unions.
"The non-union counterparts are not as well trained," B.S.

Having worked for both, you don't know what you are talking about.

I have union friends that used to say the same thing until the economy was in a recession several years ago and many union workers could not get jobs so they went to work for a non-union companies.

To a man they said how surprised they were about the quality of the work and knowledge of their new workers.

They admitted to being brain washed by their union.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,832,349 times
Every once in a while they will repair some street car tracks in my neighborhood. They will tear it up..causing a detour...You will go along and see five union guys standing and looking at a piece of cracked concrete---go a few more yards down the line and there will be twelve guys watching this one guy casually digging a hole...Then to top it off..at the end of the construction sight there will be a big bin full of chunks of concrete. Next to that will be one man in a big machine with one of those huge jack hammers on the end of an articulated arm- I watched the guy poking away with the jack hammer making the pieces of concrete in the bin into gravel by blasting away at pieces the size of bricks.....total waste of fuel and time- He was just faking it and having fun.

In total there were about 25 guys doing nothing and watching ONE guy dig a hole...at a cost of a few hundred grand in tax dollars- unions have lost sight of one important thing- WORK!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,342,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The non-union counterparts are not as well trained," B.S.

Having worked for both, you don't know what you are talking about.

I have union friends that used to say the same thing until the economy was in a recession several years ago and many union workers could not get jobs so they went to work for a non-union companies.

To a man they said how surprised they were about the quality of the work and knowledge of their new workers.

They admitted to being brain washed by their union.
Your friends were scabs.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,942,468 times
Right wingers are sick in the head for hating policies that get Americans fair wages. They prefer their soulless consumption and Chinese slave labor PLUS it upsets liberals! Upsetting liberals really takes all precedence over good policy because like children, the Teabaggers will gladly drink polluted water, blow money on an SUV they dont need and have corporations deregulated enough to wipe out peoples savings with market manipulation as long as it makes a liberal unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies