Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:07 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You keep forgetting that the US is not a democracy. You should be thankful that States allow you to vote for President at all, because they do not have to allow a popular vote. It would be much less confusing if the States completely abolished the popular vote for President. Then voters would not be confused as which vote actually counts.
I've never once forgotten that The United States isn't a democracy. I don't vote for president because I find the process itself to be systemically corrupt. Therefore, I have little interest in what political positions the state "allows" me to vote for.

From a purely logical perspective, if the states were to abolish the popular vote, there would be no criteria by which to apportion the electoral votes...unless they were appointed/elected by other politicians (governor, state legislature,etc.)...thus making the system even more oligarchical than it already is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I've never once forgotten that The United States isn't a democracy. I don't vote for president because I find the process itself to be systemically corrupt. Therefore, I have little interest in what political positions the state "allows" me to vote for.

From a purely logical perspective, if the states were to abolish the popular vote, there would be no criteria by which to apportion the electoral votes...unless they were appointed/elected by other politicians (governor, state legislature,etc.)...thus making the system even more oligarchical than it already is.
Actually, the process is less corrupt specifically because of the Electoral College. When was the last time anyone attempted to stuff the ballot box within the Electoral College? The Electoral College helps prevents voter fraud.

As to another means for the State legislatures to choose their Electorate, they should select them based upon the candidate that benefits the State and the nation the most. Presidential candidates should be campaigning on how they will work with the States, or what they will do on the State's behalf, instead of making false promises to citizens that they are incapable of keeping, and have no intention of keeping.

A vote within the State legislature could decide the Electorate, with the Lt. Governor casting a vote in the event of a tie. Or they can choose their Electorate based upon the political parties their US Reps. and US Senators belong. Or they can simply flip a coin. I really do not care. It is a decision the State legislature decides, not the people.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, the process is less corrupt specifically because of the Electoral College. When was the last time anyone attempted to stuff the ballot box within the Electoral College? The Electoral College helps prevents voter fraud.
I should have been more clear in my statement: I find the entire American political process, not merely The Electoral College, to be corrupt. There is no value in a two-party political system in which both parties serve the interests of the corporate elite.

Quote:
As to another means for the State legislatures to choose their Electorate, they should select them based upon the candidate that benefits the State and the nation the most. Presidential candidates should be campaigning on how they will work with the States, or what they will do on the State's behalf, instead of making false promises to citizens that they are incapable of keeping, and have no intention of keeping.

A vote within the State legislature could decide the Electorate, with the Lt. Governor casting a vote in the event of a tie. Or they can choose their Electorate based upon the political parties their US Reps. and US Senators belong. Or they can simply flip a coin. I really do not care. It is a decision the State legislature decides, not the people.
Or, we could just form an American-style politburo, or ask the UK to take us on as royal subjects.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I should have been more clear in my statement: I find the entire American political process, not merely The Electoral College, to be corrupt. There is no value in a two-party political system in which both parties serve the interests of the corporate elite.
Don't vote for either party. I'm not.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Don't vote for either party. I'm not.
That's the plan.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
A question for those that want to do anyway with the electoral college ... list all the elections where the electoral winner didn't match the popular vote winner .. there must be a lot of them since ya'll want to pass a constitutional amendment to change it(I know the answer, I just want to see if ya'll do).

Hint; one doesn't really count.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Being a simpleton..what if each town voted in a mayor- each state voted in a representative- all the little municipal things were voted for the old fashioned way....THEN- have a presidential vote - where every person would cast one ballot for who they wanted as the president- and who ever got the most votes would win?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Being a simpleton..what if each town voted in a mayor- each state voted in a representative- all the little municipal things were voted for the old fashioned way....THEN- have a presidential vote - where every person would cast one ballot for who they wanted as the president- and who ever got the most votes would win?
Considering the nutcases being elected to Congress, the very last thing I want is a direct election of the President. Mobs are morons, and should be restricted as much as possible.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
A question for those that want to do anyway with the electoral college ... list all the elections where the electoral winner didn't match the popular vote winner .. there must be a lot of them since ya'll want to pass a constitutional amendment to change it(I know the answer, I just want to see if ya'll do).

Hint; one doesn't really count.
Since nobody has answered your question, I will, even though I support the Electoral College.
  • George Washinton;
  • John Adams;
  • Thomas Jefferson (tied with Aaron Burr at 73 Electoral College votes in 1800);
  • James Madison;
  • James Monroe;
  • John Q. Adams (lost both the popular vote and the Electoral College vote)
  • Rutherford B. Hayes;
  • Benjamin Harrison (in the 1888 election); and
  • George W. Bush (in the 2000 election).
None of the first five Presidents in the above list received popular votes, only Electoral College votes. The popular vote for President first used in the 1824 election, which Andrew Jackson won, even though John Q. Adams was made President.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,065 times
I thought after the 2000 elction we would get rid of the electoral college.

Didn't happen

Seems Dems didn't complain much about it afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies