Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,228,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegubmintworker View Post
*shrugs* I lock my doors and deadbolts, and I don't understand why these homeowners didn't....but anyway...

I would consider anyone who comes into my house uninvited as a threat. Locally, there has been a rash of burglaries. Worse, one of my own friend's parents home was broken into home invasion style. The elderly parents were tied to a chair for hours, and the man was hit several times by the intruder. Both were threatened with guns.

I am trained to use my firearm. Someone breaks into my house uninvited, they'd better be prepared to die. I'm going to hit them in a spot more lethal than the hip, I guarantee.

As far as the original question is concerned: I don't necessarily think she will serve time just because she could. It would be better if she got some drug and alcohol counseling. No one ever needs to get so drunk they stupidly stumble into someone else's house.
Actually, I seldom lock my doors but I don't live in a high crime area and I have 4 very large and very protective dogs.

When you think about it, a groin shot works pretty good. Hit the Femoral artery and it's pretty much done with. Very messy though.

And yeah, we're armed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This article was poorly written. There is no mention of what time this happened.

I'm going to guess that the couple were still awake as the door was unlocked. So it's not like they were in bed and heard noises. Could they not see it was a drunk young girl who didn't have a knife or gun?

Sounds like they were a little trigger happy.

I agree, I think getting shot is enough punishment.
Ummm - it was at 3:30 in the morning - they were asleep - and they gave her multiple warning to leave - they most certainly were not "trigger-happy".

Monday morning QB's - unbelievable.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:54 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,396,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
She needs to learn a lesson one way or the other. being shot is probably enough but maybe not. None of us know what her rock bottom is.
If getting shot won't teach her, nothing will. And jail damn sure wouldn't teach her. Not anything good, anyway. Am I the only one on this planet who realizes that a person can learn to be a criminal from jail every bit as easily as they can learn not to be? Thankfully, I've never been to jail, because I'm the type of person who thinks if I'm going to get punished and treated like an animal, I might as well start acting like one!

This includes "hitting rock bottom". Some hit rock bottom and simply find a stronger tool with which to keep digging. If this girl doesn't have a criminal record, you'd be a fool to send her to jail for this after she's already been punished (in a much more effective way, let Psychology tell it, mind you).

Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,758,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What wonderful friends are you referring to?
I am assuming she was at a party. Unless she was drunk at home and decided to wonder around the neighborhood.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
do you think this girl should do jail time??? i think being shot was enough punishment..but that is just me.. alcohol can make you do some really stupid stuff

Girl shot while drunkenly trespassing could serve time
"drunkenly wandered into a house"

Main words of the story. She may not be charged, the family would have to pursue. But you can't use being drunk as an excuse to just walk into someones house.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:07 AM

46,325 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
How was the homeowner supposed to know that?

It was 3-3:30 am, darkened house and the poor guy was awakened from a deep sleep by someone, who didn't belong, in his home. He defended his family.

What would you have done, hidden in your closet?

Before you spout off any more, familiarize yourself with Colorado law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
The homeowner did everything right, with the exception of not locking his door. As a matter of fact, he went above and beyond. He warned her 3 times that he was armed and told her to get out. She didn't comply and he pulled the trigger as she approached him and his wife in their bedroom.

I asked a local deputy if under Colorado's Make My Day law a homeowner is required to warn an intruder that they are armed. His answer was an emphatic NO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You gotta love all the Monday morning quarterbacks here who all know that the drunk person breaking into a house at 3am who ignores warnings that the home owner is armed, isn't a threat and the home owner should have just sat the intruder down and had some tea with them. Your insight to situations you weren't in and have no experience with is truly overwhelming.

As for her suing the home owners? Can you see that in front of a judge "I broke into their house, entered their bedroom, ignored their warnings and they shot me, they should pay!" What kind of idiot would go along with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Ummm - it was at 3:30 in the morning - they were asleep - and they gave her multiple warning to leave - they most certainly were not "trigger-happy".

Monday morning QB's - unbelievable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
"drunkenly wandered into a house"

Main words of the story. She may not be charged, the family would have to pursue. But you can't use being drunk as an excuse to just walk into someones house.
All great posts!

Bolded parts are spot on!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,758,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Okay lets go old school- If some drunken girl or man staggered into my entrance..I would approach the person say " Hey you are really drunk"- then I would gently turn them around and give them a gentle push out the door - and lock it. That's the way it used to be done- no guns- no cops and no courts.

People were not terrified of everything that moved nor would they leap out of their beds with every bump in the night. This reminds me of that itchy fingered Zimmerman...You give the guy a law that protects him from prosecution in these situations ...people who are nuts or just plain mean water at the mouth in the hope of trying out that new Glock.
You know, every day I see another home invasion on the news, is it any wonder why people are parinoid that some crack head will break in and kill you for a nickle. If you walk into my house at 3:30 am, you're a dead man, I don't have time to sort out whether or not you are a good guy or a bad guy, it is my life we are talking about.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:27 AM

46,325 posts, read 27,157,406 times
United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2010

Very interesting stats.....

Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,959,589 times
Just wanted to add that this thread is a perfect example of how those labeled as Left or Right can agree and disagree on different issues even among themselves, I know I agreed with several posts by posters here that disagree with me and I with them on many issues.
She should be very happy that the owners did not own dogs and were not home to call them off.
One more time being drunk is NOT an excuse under the law, if it were many criminals would use it to get off for crimes they commit. The courts will descide her punishment, I doubt it will be all that harsh and I would guess rehab will be part of her sentence. Hopefully she will learn she cannot handle her drinking and give it up, what if she had been driving and had killed someone, would some of you still defend her actions then?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:57 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,396,050 times
She's already been punished. Only correction is in order. And jail as a correctional tool is... sorry, I can't type much more 'cause I'm laughing too hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies