Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Drinking soda sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup with out any regard to what it does to you. Similar behavior to smoking tobacco. You are trading a short term feel good for a long term health problem.
Wouldn't multiple abortions do the same to your body ? How many abortions can a woman "safely" have with no long term health effects ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I have never seen such an uproar of idiocy over overly sweetened carbonation.

Why don't you people that are having a fit over the pushback of the corpoprate food industry ever make this much noise about the additives and toxic junk entering the food supply for the sake of Food Inc.'s bottom line? The industry that is feeding you garbage for profits is the industry that you support and enable. That is dumber than dumb and I thnk that all of the bubbles in soda has damaged your brains. And btw...empty calories is not the only reason that soda is not a healthy choice.

I fully agree with everything you said, however the government has no right to tell me what I should and should not be eating. The slippery slope has begun. Next NYC will go all the way, and make it illegal for individuals to consume more than 16oz. of soda, and you'll see the NYPD issuing summonses to people for consuming anything larger than a 16oz beverage in public view. They will make it a "quality of life" type of summons like an open container of alcohol. You all say no way, but the die has already been cast.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I push back with my spending money. If I don't like a product I don't buy it. My choice, not the government's.

PS: I rarely drink more than 1 soda a week.
This is most likely geared towrds kids who will inadvertently drink more when the size is larger, when in reality, they will be more than satisfied with less to begin with.

The link's info is misleading as I just heard this discussed on the radio and they are not banning soda, they are serving it in smaller size cups just as NYC will be doing. Much ado about nothing...again!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Bigger, juicier, saltier, sweeter, crunchier. Most of all, more. The food industry and its nonstop marketing has been tabbed by many experts as a major player in the obesity epidemic. "The result of constant exposure to today's 'eat more' food environment," write Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim in their upcoming book Why Calories Count, "has been to drive people to desire high-calorie foods and to become 'conditioned overeaters.'"
Quote:
Junk food makers spend billions advertising unhealthy foods to kids. According to the Federal Trade Commission, food makers spend some $1.6 billion annually to reach children through the traditional media as well the Internet, in-store advertising, and sweepstakes. An article published in 2006 in the Journal of Public Health Policy puts the number as high as $10 billion annually. The bulk of these ads are for unhealthy products high in calories, sugar, fat, and sodium. Promotions often use cartoon characters or free giveaways to entice kids into the junk food fold. On TV alone, the average child sees about 5,500 food commercials a year (or about 15 per day) that advertise high-sugar breakfast cereals, fast food, soft drinks, candy, and snacks, according to the Yale Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity. Compare that to the fewer than 100 TV ads per year kids see for healthy foods like fruits, veggies, and bottled water.
10 Things the Food Industry Doesn't Want You to Know - US News and World Report

Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Sorta like smoking weed, which the left wants legalized, right?

I will tell you what is good or not good for me. I like soda. Nothing like a very cold Coke to quench a thirst. I love it and I usually have at least one coke a day. Oh, and I am in very good shape and health.

I agree with pretty much what you're saying. I don't drink much pop anymore, but nevertheless, the government is not my mother or father. I'LL DECIDE!

As for the weed argument, there are plenty on the right who also advocate legalization, so it isn't necessarily exclusive to the left.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
If soda is your route to the pursuit of happiness then complain to your heart's desire. Otherwise, it's just soda; nothing worthy of a battle.
It is totally worthy of a battle. Any government that is powerful enough to tell us what we can drink at a restaurant is powerful to do about anything it chooses.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
It is soda pop, not a slippery slope.
Yes, it is a slippery slope.

Government has no right to tell us what to eat, drink or smoke.

You may like the Nanny State telling you what to drink, but most of us don't.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What if they ban sandy beaches? where will you stick your head?

Best post of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: ok:

Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, it is a slippery slope.

Government has no right to tell us what to eat, drink or smoke.

You may like the Nanny State telling you what to drink, but most of us don't.

I don't know about that, considering there are folks here in this country that are OK with smoking bans in PRIVATE ESTABLISHMENTS, the TSA, the Patriot ACT...ect...

Old 06-19-2012, 12:26 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I fully agree with everything you said, however the government has no right to tell me what I should and should not be eating. The slippery slope has begun. Next NYC will go all the way, and make it illegal for individuals to consume more than 16oz. of soda, and you'll see the NYPD issuing summonses to people for consuming anything larger than a 16oz beverage in public view. They will make it a "quality of life" type of summons like an open container of alcohol. You all say no way, but the die has already been cast.
Example of the slippery slope in NYC. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

First Soda, Now Milk: NYC Wants To Extend Ban to Popcorn, Milk Drinks

First it was large, sugary soft drinks. Now, the New York City diet police want to take away moviegoers’ jumbo tubs of popcorn as well.

The city’s Board of Health plans to hold a public hearing on July 24 on Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposal to ban sales of 16-ounce soft drinks in restaurants, movie theaters, and sports arenas. Bloomberg says getting rid of the supersized, high-calorie beverages will help stem the obesity epidemic.

At a meeting Tuesday night, Board of Health members — who are all appointed by the mayor — expressed support for Bloomberg’s plan, and suggested broadening it to include other fattening snacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies