Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
You raise some good points -- I guess I shouldn't say that bans and regulations are enacted exclusively by the left. I don't agree with the right's interference with choice in marriage or some of their other restrictive policies. However, the majority of meddling comes from nanny-state minded Democrats and Liberals who want control over your choices.

Do they want control or are they trying to perform their duty to ensure that the citizens of this country act in such as way as not to be a detriment or infringement of other citizens? If you look at it from that premise, I have to ask if why the right is not doing more to protect the planet, or the health of it's citizens in order to stave off the multiple crises we have on our hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
That's the nature of the business when you have to essentially predict the future. However, if a ban on certain unhealthy things is invoked in the community that you live in, would it cause your rates to go down? If that is the case, would you support a ban?

In other words can your vote be bought?
No, I wouldn't support that ban even if it lowered my rates. I personally don't vote for my best interests, but what I feel is right.

I've never smoked pot, but I support full legalization of it. I've never used (or ever would use) a prostitute, but I fully support legalizing prostitution. Those are personal choices that don't (for the most part) hurt anyone else and I feel the government has no business in regulating choices that only directly effect the parties involved.

While unhealthy lifestyle choices and reckless behavior are more costly to treat, I think paying higher premiums is justifiable if it allows people to make their own decisions, both good and bad. I want more freedom, not restrictions.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
I agree. Why are Republicans and Demoracts/Liberals always reducing choices, reducing freedoms and desperately trying to bully everyone into living life the way THEY think it should be?

Both parties are traitors to The Constitution and to America.
They are self anointed masterminds. They go into government with the belief that we are lost little ignorant, savages, waiting for the likes of them to make those tough lifestyle choices for us. A prime example are the masterminds at the EPA who see themselves as vastly superior, masterminds, who will use the EPA to force their lifestyle choices on the rest of us, by enacting their own version of a Way of Life Act. We have no free choice in the matter, in fact, our choices are made illegal and punishable under their regulations. We are free to make those choices that they have not made illegal.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Do they want control or are they trying to perform their duty to ensure that the citizens of this country act in such as way as not to be a detriment or infringement of other citizens? If you look at it from that premise, I have to ask if why the right is not doing more to protect the planet, or the health of it's citizens in order to stave off the multiple crises we have on our hands.
It's a matter of perspective; are you willing to give up the freedom of choice to bureaucrats who will tell you what choices you're allowed or are you willing to live with the negative effects brought by greater freedom?

Education is doing quite a bit already to encourage people to act more responsibly. Health and organic food stores are everywhere, recycling is convenient, etc. People expect attitudes to change overnight, but it is slowly changing due to people becoming more responsible.

Regarding the obesity epidemic, I lay blame for that at the hands of the government and their attack on fat a few decades ago. Once the low-fat movement started, the obesity epidemic began (we panicked, found a scapegoat, and went from a chubby nation to an obese one). We replaced satiating fat in our diets with empty sugars and processed flour and we wonder why people who eat nothing but Lean Cuisine pasta dishes can't lose weight.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Do politicians and policy-makers on the left feel we're simply too irresponsible to make these decisions on our own?
That, and they think that everybody who doesn't think just like them and arrive at the same decisions/conclusions as them is just a stupid redneck, racist, etc.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
No, I wouldn't support that ban even if it lowered my rates. I personally don't vote for my best interests, but what I feel is right.

I've never smoked pot, but I support full legalization of it. I've never used (or ever would use) a prostitute, but I fully support legalizing prostitution. Those are personal choices that don't (for the most part) hurt anyone else and I feel the government has no business in regulating choices that only directly effect the parties involved.

While unhealthy lifestyle choices and reckless behavior are more costly to treat, I think paying higher premiums is justifiable if it allows people to make their own decisions, both good and bad. I want more freedom, not restrictions.
My vote can be bought if the result of the vote is advantageous to myself and mine. Of course, I'd check with my agent to be certain that the rates would come down.

I support prostitution and marijuana bans. Property values can't rise against the stigma associated with those issues.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
That just about sums it up, and especially out here in the loonybin known as California.

Lefties feel that they have all the answers, and they frequently make things a heck of a lot worse, and our current economy is just one of many examples.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
The RIGHT certainly has no problems doing this with drugs or even hemp (which is so stupid).
It's not just "the RIGHT."

Don't forget (not to worry - I won't let you), "the LEFT" had full control of the federal government for the first two years of Obama's administration. They didn't need a single vote from "the RIGHT" to pass whatever they wanted to pass. They literally had carte blanche to do whatever they wanted, and they didn't take on that cause. Why not?

Don't believe the hype. Both parties are equally responsible for the drug laws in this country. One party or the other may talk about doing or not doing something to change them, but you'll notice that nothing gets done about it - even when there's absolutely nothing standing in their way.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
The past few years we've seen an increasing number of proposed bans and policy changes that limit personal freedom and choice, all coming from heavily Liberal areas. The most recent being the soda limitations and bans in NY and MA. There's also the plastic bag ban in LA, the salt ban in NY, banning sitting on sidewalks in Berkeley, banning Happy Meals and circumcision in SF, banning smoking, banning incandescent light bulbs, etc. It's seems that the left is pro-choice on one particular issue and anti-choice on so many others.

Do politicians and policy-makers on the left feel we're simply too irresponsible to make these decisions on our own?
Do you have a problem w/ public drunkenness laws?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
The problem is that these politicians and bureaucrats are often times enacting legislation and regulations based on personal ideology, political philosophy and they used junk science to justify a lot of it. Most times, the people making these decisions that effect us, are completely ignorant, and driven by personal greed, politics, money or influence.

Think about the food roller coaster. where these masterminds deemed foods were bad for us, and we find they are actually good for us, and vice verse. Or the high carb food pyramid that government came out with, and now we are a fat nation on a high carb diet. They gave us the compact fluorescent bulbs, which are responsible for new mercury in our landfills, and the MTBE gasoline additive they forced into our cars, which has now poisoned our ground water.

I'm all for clean air and water, but only is we do this in a thoughtful, intelligent and informed way. Creating crisis after crisis to frighten people into submission is a typical sign of either corruption or a mastermind trying to force their personal lifestyles and ideology down our throats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies