Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times

Advertisements

With his recent and past moves (support of gay marriage, amnesty for illegals) has Obama declared himself to nbe the special interest President?

He certainly shows no apparent interest in the nation as a whole or bringing the nation together (one of his broken campaign promises).

Outside of declaring me to be racist, any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
I really don't think he is more for any interests other than his own.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,331,734 times
Add his support to tree huggers with the opposition to the Keystone Pipeline and onerous EPA regulations.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,123 times
"Special interest" generally refers to the advocation of issues for which one is, in some form or other, monetarily compensated. The group whose special interests are served, in turn, stands to also make money from such advocation - as a primary (not secondary or tertiary) goal.

Gay marriage would fall under the heading of Equality - regardless of whether you and I agree that it is. One's interpretation seems to be anchored around the debate whether homosexuality in an immutable trait or not.

The issue of the recent policy change regarding some illegal immigrants has to do with acknowledging that not all situations are black or white and that a graded approach might be more befitting of a nation that claims to be civilized, just, and fair. Again, not all agree - but this would still not fall under the heading of "special interests."

What you are addressing are social issues - and some voters, as can be expected, have a very different idea as to how such social issues should be acknowledged or addressed. Thus, you may disagree with the current administration's approach, but doing so hardly makes you a racist/xenophobe/homophobe. Your underlying motivation might do that - but only you know what those motivations are and thus, there is no basis for anyone labeling you as such.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
There have been several high-profile new reports detailing the amount of access to the White House that was given to pro-immigration and pro-gay advocates from Day 1 of the Obama presidency.

This President is social welfare puppet. I don't see now anyone could declare Barack Obama a competent leader when in fact all he's done is cater to social lobbying efforts.

If I were President, there would be NO access for social welfare advocates. The policies what would emanate from my White House would be that of MY conscious with a keen focus on national prosperity. Pandering to gays and granting illegal immigrants legal access to American jobs is NOT a focus on national prosperity.

This President is a puppet beyond puppets. I thought he was going to be different. Liberals and Democrats shafted the United States of America with their amazing lack of foresight.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I really don't think he is more for any interests other than his own.
True, I forgot to list this one as it is to obvious

Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
"Special interest" generally refers to the advocation of issues for which one is, in some form or other, monetarily compensated. The group whose special interests are served, in turn, stands to also make money from such advocation - as a primary (not secondary or tertiary) goal.

Gay marriage would fall under the heading of Equality - regardless of whether you and I agree that it is. One's interpretation seems to be anchored around the debate whether homosexuality in an immutable trait or not.

The issue of the recent policy change regarding some illegal immigrants has to do with acknowledging that not all situations are black or white and that a graded approach might be more befitting of a nation that claims to be civilized, just, and fair. Again, not all agree - but this would still not fall under the heading of "special interests."
Gay Marriage is a "monetary compensation" issue through and through. Gay Marriage is about monetary benefits, and nothing to do with actually having a marriage certificate. Don't kid yourself, and don't try to kid others into believing your fallacy.

Regarding "special interests" and immigration policy, you have no idea what you're talking about. Have you ever spent a moment in Washington DC? The whole place is a bastion of special interests. I would recommend that you re-evaluate your idea of what a "special interest" is, because your assessment that it's a "graded approach" based on what's "civilized, just, and fair" instead of a special interest lobbying effort on behalf of a consituentcy that benefits monetarily is pure bunk.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
I don't think a lot of the "Obama" haters understand him. He is a President who is very true to his beliefs and his values.
Clinton was a politician.
Dubya was a politician.
I think Obama would of been happy just being a Law proffessor.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Gee, let's see. If these move get Obama re-elected, is that not compensation? Does it not benefit those affected both socially and monetarily? Is that not the true goal for them?

Quote:
Frankly, I don't disagree with your take on this, but is it something that a President, especially in a world climate such as we have, should be taking his time with which takes his time away from something more vital?

Quote:
The actions were admitted to be illegal by Obama but he took them anyway, to gain favor with one group. Definition of special interest. Breaking the national laws because the illegals want it or one man, in this case Obama, wants to does not speak well of a nation "that claims to be civilized".

Quote:
What you are addressing are social issues - and some voters, as can be expected, have a very different idea as to how such social issues should be acknowledged or addressed. Thus, you may disagree with the current administration's approach, but doing so hardly makes you a racist. Your underlying motivation might do that - but only you know what those motivations are and thus, there is no basis for anyone labeling you as such.
Oh, it will happen. Those who cannot stand opposition to their leader will eventually resort to this tactic.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
You forgot unions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies