Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Why is the AMA controlling how many medical schools are graduating doctors and how many medical schools are being built?
Every profession on the planet tries to do this in some shape or form. For example here in PA if you want to sell caskets you need to be a funeral director.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:09 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Every profession on the planet tries to do this in some shape or form. For example here in PA if you want to sell caskets you need to be a funeral director.
So in reality these Professionals aren't in a Union but politically they drag by on us as bad a BAD Union by using lobbyists. Hey don't get me wrong; some Unions are great deals(so i think and cannot name one because i am not in Unions)

Old 07-31-2018, 06:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
brilliant

Let's let people who have no clue mutilate the public. I guess you did not know why Johns Hopkins initiated the purge of quackery in the early 1900s.

I cannot believe that anyone with an ounce of sense would promote this. It would be analagous to having pilots with no training flying jet airliners, but more deadly than that. Such a proposal, beyond being idiocy, would benefit the trial lawyer's association with a flood of malpractice cases. Keep in mind that even physicians with good training make mistakes. Can you imagine what would happen to marginally intelligent people with no training making life and death decisions?

WOW
Wasn't there an era with barber-dentists who qualifications were just a pair of pliers and really strong forearms?

Old 07-31-2018, 06:27 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Eliminate the Kefauver Amendment and licensing requirements for healthcare providers and our healthcare crisis is over.
Terrifying thought. If anything increase licensing requirements. I feel better knowing that healthcare professionals are competent and passed rigorous curriculum, testing and continuing education. And their pay should reflect that rigor. What is more problematic is this merging of big healthcare systems so they can lessen competitiveness and set the costs of healthcare.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
PS- SoCal- you are obviously not in healthcare, as you know nothing about how medical school and residency slots are determined. Further EMR (electronic medical records- which our clinic has had for five years) is a DISASTER. It worsens efficiency, increases costs and medical errors. Apparently you did not read last weeks New England Journal of Medicine. If you don't know what you are talking about, perhaps you should say nothing.
Our neighbor is an interface analyst for a medical IT company. She writes code (HL7) to allow medical records to translate between different systems. She can attest to this. Lol.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
So in reality these Professionals aren't in a Union but politically they drag by on us as bad a BAD Union by using lobbyists. Hey don't get me wrong; some Unions are great deals(so i think and cannot name one because i am not in Unions)
I think you're exactly right. Highly paid professionals are not exempt from being in a good ol' boys club. Or a politically active one at that.

NFL coaches (save for Bill Belichick) are in a union. NASCAR drivers almost formed one, until...

https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sha...history-070714

Old 07-31-2018, 06:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Eliminate the Kefauver Amendment and licensing requirements for healthcare providers and our healthcare crisis is over.
Witch doctors selling snake oil out of the trunks of their cars to consumers desperate to live.

What could go wrong?

Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times
The shortage of healthcare providers will not be solved by returning to the Wild West with no licensing or regulation. It will be solved by amateurizing medical care using proven systems. This is already happening with PAs and NPs. Physicians should be relied upon to be the final authority, and should assume a more managerial role in the field. Technology may help with this, by guiding non-physician decision making to be along best practices and making patients more portable.

The notion that "this doctor is my doctor because this doctor knows my history" has no place in medicine anymore. Where I work hoarding information in your gray matter is considered unprofessional and deleterious to the business. Communication and record keeping tools continue to get better. There is a very practical reason people hoard information - to make themselves more valuable.

It's tempting as a sole contributor, which is how many physicians work, to live in your silo. And the excuses are always the same: working with others adds too much administrative overhead, friction, etc. Assembly-line processes are dehumanizing, I want to be my own boss, my work is too complex to be routinized, blah blah blah. I'd have more sympathy if the medical industry were not bankrupting the country and delivering subpar results to boot.

Medicine needs fewer craftsmen and more people who screw in the same bolt every damn day. In other words, it needs to industrialize.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
From the link:

“ Healthcare spending used to be 5% of income. Now it’s 17%. “

Source of this information is not provided, nor is the timeframe. For the sake of argument, let’s assume it’s in the ballpark.

Used to be people went to the hospital to die. Now, most diagnosis can be treated, lives prolonged and sometimes cured. This costs $.

Chronic illness and aging of the population drives up costs.

Used to be about 10% of the adult population was overweight/ obese. Now it’s 75%. Obesity is an epidemic and substantially increases vulnerability to heart disease, stroke, some Cancers, Diabetes and joint deterioration. This is a huge factor in inflated costs.

It’s easier to blame big bad government and greedy “fill in the blanks”, than take personal responsibility for our health.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Our neighbor is an interface analyst for a medical IT company. She writes code (HL7) to allow medical records to translate between different systems. She can attest to this. Lol.
Good for her! AFAIK, that hasn't happened yet on any meaningful level. And the post you quoted is 5 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The shortage of healthcare providers will not be solved by returning to the Wild West with no licensing or regulation. It will be solved by amateurizing medical care using proven systems. This is already happening with PAs and NPs.Physicians should be relied upon to be the final authority, and should assume a more managerial role in the field. Technology may help with this, by guiding non-physician decision making to be along best practices and making patients more portable.

The notion that "this doctor is my doctor because this doctor knows my history" has no place in medicine anymore. Where I work hoarding information in your gray matter is considered unprofessional and deleterious to the business. Communication and record keeping tools continue to get better. There is a very practical reason people hoard information - to make themselves more valuable.

It's tempting as a sole contributor, which is how many physicians work, to live in your silo. And the excuses are always the same: working with others adds too much administrative overhead, friction, etc. Assembly-line processes are dehumanizing, I want to be my own boss, my work is too complex to be routinized, blah blah blah. I'd have more sympathy if the medical industry were not bankrupting the country and delivering subpar results to boot.

Medicine needs fewer craftsmen and more people who screw in the same bolt every damn day. In other words, it needs to industrialize.
Amateurs? As an RN (not an NP) I really resent that.

A PA has a masters, as do most NPs, and NP programs are transitioning to doctorates.

And just where do you work? Not to mention, I don't think you have a clue about health care record keeping. Everything a HCP does to a patient is documented so someone else can read it.

It's not the providers who are bankrupting the country and "delivering subpar results".

What do you mean by that, and what do you propose, specifically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies