Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,107,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Just another non-story but I guess it makes some people feel better writing or reading these things.
I wouldn't say it made me feel better since he represents our country and supposedly graduated from Yale and Harvard, but it certainly made me laugh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,576,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I wouldn't say it made me feel better since he represents our country and supposedly graduated from Yale and Harvard, but it certainly made me laugh!!!
As stated before this is common practice in speeches and broadcasting.

Every week before NFL games there is release with phonetic pronunciations of players names. It is also done with speeches all the time.

I am sure you could pronounce Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan without phonetic help, right.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:18 AM

329 posts, read 1,440,546 times
What exactly is wrong with Phonetic guidelines and as Mike said , it is "common practice". I personally find it endearing when Bush makes a mistake, heck..it's especially cute that he laughs at himself. You can Bush bash all you like but the guy can't be too dumb if he made it into the Whute House TWICE. Your problem is you never got over Gore losing the 2000 election and your bitterness rears it's ugly head any chance it can. I am not in agreement with Bush all the time, but I respect the office of the Presidency and recognize man's fallibility, be it a Democrat or a Republican. May God always Bless America, the land of the Free.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:19 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,793,625 times
Default He is the leader of the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
I'm not a big fan of Bush's speeches, but I do think it is important that our nation (represented by Bush) at least properly pronounces the names of other countries and their leaders. Maybe Bush needed a few more prompts than most, but I'm sure that all other leaders have done something similar at some point.

I would much rather see this than GW mangle a name of someone important.
I have to agree with you on this one. However I am so thankful that they didn’t serve food at the UN; seeing George with food falling out of his mouth while he spoke is just a little more then most people can take.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:30 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,107,439 times
Quote:
As stated before this is common practice in speeches and broadcasting.

Every week before NFL games there is release with phonetic pronunciations of players names. It is also done with speeches all the time.

I am sure you could pronounce Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan without phonetic help, right.
Actually, I could.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,823,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Good point, and I'll add by the looks of the words, I'd have needed the same help.

Guess the guy's human after all, eh?
It is SAD how people take joy of making fun of the President's dislexia.

Quote:
Just another non-story but I guess it makes some people feel better writing or reading these things.
It makes the far left rejoice. But if we had said the same about Obama, we'd be all called racists.

Quote:
It is common practice to have a phonetic list of hard to pronounce names, etc. for speeches and broadcasting.
That is right. Great point! *thumbs up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
A non-story...maybe...we all knew he was a half-wit.

Is it funny that the leader of the free-world is "Hooked on Phonics" - YES
Again, if it was a Democrat, it wouldn't be funny, would it?

Mind you, I DISLIKE Bush inmensely. He lied about being a Social Conservative. He is a McCain social liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
I'm not a big fan of Bush's speeches, but I do think it is important that our nation (represented by Bush) at least properly pronounces the names of other countries and their leaders. Maybe Bush needed a few more prompts than most, but I'm sure that all other leaders have done something similar at some point.

I would much rather see this than GW mangle a name of someone important.
That is a good point.

I think this non-story is pretty weak. A mere sadistic way to make fun of someone's disability.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:39 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,126,786 times
I wish the local TV stations would provide phonic prompters when ever they hire a new guy for the news show. You wouldn't believe how the nearby city names get mangled. Especially those with Indian names. The worse thing is that they never seem to learn either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies