Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times

Advertisements

Did I say you hang around racists? No you said you never heard anybody say "huh" when you heard a person called a monkey.

What is sad is the race baiters who run around threads and call everyone a racist for not agreeing with the boy king have watered things down so much that when something truly racists is spouted the boy who cried wolf syndrome takes effect. I am simply trying to point that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
So you're saying calling Obama a pile of feces, a hemmorhoid, a tapeworm, or swine- is preferable to the term 'monkey' ?

How very, very odd...
Dried up white crusty feces or smelly fresh brown feces? I guess we'll need a clarification on that from the "crew".

Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,371,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
So you're saying calling Obama a pile of feces, a hemmorhoid, a tapeworm, or swine- is preferable to the term 'monkey' ?

How very, very odd...
There's nothing odd about it at all. The very reason people have such a problem with racial slurs is that it indicates a dislike for the race itself, something reminiscent of days when people were actually hunted and killed because of their skin color. Everyone and anyone was attacked over something they had no control over. These other terms, though offensive and tasteless, at least are presumably judgments of their character, not color.

I'd rather be attacked for something I did/didn't do, non-physical characteristics I have/don't have, etc. than for my race or something of that nature.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:09 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Did I say you hang around racists? No you said you never heard anybody say "huh" when you heard a person called a monkey.
Oy vey.

It's a message board, and easier to verbalize these points than to type them... I don't recall actually ever witnessing a black person being called a monkey, I was just trying to say (in a somewhat hypothetical manner) it's not something that often elicits the "huh?" response. To summarize, I've always thought it was a commonly-known slur. Are we clear now?

Quote:
What is sad is the race baiters who run around threads and call everyone a racist for not agreeing with the boy king have watered things down so much that when something truly racists is spouted the boy who cried wolf syndrome takes effect. I am simply trying to point that out.
What I find sad is when people are TOLD and (at least for the most part) AWARE of something being racist, and still brush it under the rug as "stupid *******s being race baiters." Would you say the same if I added porch to the beginning of that, or used the actual n-word? Again, I don't know what this woman's motivation was, which is why I've refrained from speaking of her personally... but clearly I'm not the only one who thought it was questionable, at best, in reference to a black man. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, is it unreasonable to call it a duck?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 PM

18,927 posts, read 14,111,175 times
What an insult to monkeys... shameful.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
There's nothing odd about it at all. The very reason people have such a problem with racial slurs is that it indicates a dislike for the race itself, something reminiscent of days when people were actually hunted and killed because of their skin color. Everyone and anyone was attacked over something they had no control over. These other terms, though offensive and tasteless, at least are presumably judgments of their character, not color.

I'd rather be attacked for something I did/didn't do, non-physical characteristics I have/don't have, etc. than for my race or something of that nature.
Bingo. While nobody really likes being called anything negative, I'd be MUCH less angered if you called me lazy, stupid, etc, as opposed to throwing out a Jewish slur.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-21-2012 at 12:32 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,675,828 times
then people on here will revile endlessly on how its not racist because the host didn't burn a cross in his yard while wearing a sheet.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oy vey.

It's a message board, and easier to verbalize these points than to type them... I don't recall actually ever witnessing a black person being called a monkey, I was just trying to say (in a somewhat hypothetical manner) it's not something that often elicits the "huh?" response. To summarize, I've always thought it was a commonly-known slur. Are we clear now?

What I find sad is when people are TOLD and (at least for the most part) AWARE of something being racist, and still brush it under the rug as "stupid *******s being race baiters." Would you say the same if I added porch to the beginning of that, or used the actual n-word? Again, I don't know what this woman's motivation was, which is why I've refrained from speaking of her personally... but clearly I'm not the only one who thought it was questionable, at best, in reference to a black man. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, is it unreasonable to call it a duck?
Did the host say "porch"? Like I said it is all much ado about nothing because of all the feigned outrage and race baiting that has been done by the obama crew.

It is just quite odd that the N word is thrown all over the place by those who claim to be so offended by it. Perhaps a list from the outraged as to what outrages them should be in order and who can and can't say it based on their race to boot? That would help out it appears.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
then people on here will revile endlessly on how its not racist because the host didn't burn a cross in his yard while wearing a sheet.
My kids wore sheets last halloween. Does that make them racist too? Put it on the list I guess.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,233,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Have you ever stopped?

You know this already, but I will repeat it:

Generic name-calling, even calling Bush stupid or a smirking chimp, is not using a racist epithet. The reason for that is that "stupid" and "smirking chimp" are not well-known racist epithets for white people.

"Monkey" is a well-known racist epithet for black people. Everyone who calls President Obama a monkey knows that. In fact, that is why they are doing it.

So yes, calling President Obama a monkey means that you are a racist. Condoning it or excusing it also means that you are a racist.
This! ^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies