Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I'm almost positive that is not what I typed... *reads it again* ...Nope. Wasn't my argument at all.
It's exactly your argument.
Quote:
Even if we were to all agree that only Germans are technically eligible for the label 'Nazi', it wouldn't be racist to call someone a Nazi (regardless of their ethnicity) because it's understood that when the label is used, the person speaking is referring to the other person's belief system and behavior.
It's understood? No, it's what YOU understand, not what I understand. You expect everyone to see things from your point of view, and that's wrong. You also have to see things from someone else's point of view, and you refuse to accept that any premise not yours is inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The definition is referring to doctrines.

So no, Nazism is not a race.

May I interject? I always thought that the term "nazis" was a political group that promoted racism through their belief that they were genetically superior than everyone else.

So by calling someone a "nazis" you are assuming association or condoning the actions and beliefs of the German nazis

Old 06-25-2012, 12:44 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
51 pages and for what?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
51 pages and for what?
Chiquita should've sponsored this thread.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The answer would be Selective Outrage. It's only foul when someone else does it.

Shabazz keeps stating that he would commit violence because of a sentence, don't you think THAT is wrong. Yes, I understand it's racist, but its a word. If you cannot defend yourself with words, against words, and have to resort to violence, doesn't that make you an animal? Human beings can reason, or at least we are supposed to have that capability. He compares it to dueling or jousting. I thought we outgrew that, or do we simply accept that some among us are throwbacks in the great game of genetics? Do we allow white people who are called crackers and honkeys to commit violence because of a word and accept it, because Shabazz would act with violence due to a word also? Is it not tit for tat? I actually think it's stupid and inane that ANYONE would resort to violence over a word. It shows that all you can do is offer violence, and that you are incapable of reasoning.

I agree with you regarding the violence in relation to a word, but since you nor your ancestors were tortured, hung and systematically dehumanized for over 200 years and when someone that looks like your tormentor utters the same racial insults at you, sometimes some of flip out. Like I said before I don't agree with it but I do understand

Others are mad that some of the money for Mitt's campaign comes from money earned overseas, but never once blink that Soros, a major contributor to Obama's campaign, also makes much of HIS money from overseas interests. Again, Selective Indignation and Selective Outrage.

I really don't think that many people care where his money comes from but what type of influence that it is buying. mitt represents the corperations that are more than willing to pollute our air/water to make a fast buck.
This is on top of systematically preventing upward moblity of the middle class and keeping the poor from getting any of the help that they may need such as decent paying jobs or healthcare.

We are beginning to see a pattern here. It was OK for Bush to be called the racist term, "NAZI", and the left was overjoyed, they laughed about it, cartoons printed up, and again, even though YOU may not believe that NAZI is a racist term, just like some believe that calling a black person a monkey isn't racist, doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same way. Again, I am also Jewish, and a second generation American, my mother's parents are from Russia, my father's, from Poland through Germany. (Einstein is 5th cousin on my father's side.) Nazi is as racist a term as you can get if you really think about it. They were the SUPREME racist, denigrating, and killing all those who were not of "their race".
Blacks during the Holocaust

bush is called a nazis mainly because of the sins of his forefathers who helped the nazis during the war.
How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to power | World news ...

Nazism is pretty much inline with many American feelings towards blacks in America as some of these post have revealed time after time. More recently the nonchalant attitude that your friends in the republican party have abundantly made clear.

Hitler believed that blacks were subhuman and beasts, and you truly believe that calling someone a Nazi, and making a cartoon to portray them as Hitler is not racist?

It is easy to equate someone who is perceived as being a racist based on their past actions of racist activities as being similiar to the thoughts and behavior of nazis in the past?

I repeat, Selective Indignation and Selective Outrage.
"deflection of the original sin, does not deny the fact that it happened in the first place" ---Simonism

Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Barbara "claims" her comments were the direct result of an email with a photoshopped picture of Obama as a monkey that she had received.

For the record she did apologize 'to anyone she offended' while trying explain why she said what she said.

I don't see "redneck" as a racist term. Its origins, the sunburned neck of someone working the fields or a job outdoors has little to do with race, other than whites sunburn easier than blacks. As far as being offensive, since it was first coined it was a positive term, embraced by those that "fit" the description. It was only during the civil rights movement of the 1970's that it was co-opted as a derogatory term for bigots. Jeff Foxworthy and his jokes have further twisted the meaning of the term to shorthand for a dumb hillbilly. Imagine that a dumb hillbilly calling hillbilly dumb. But I don't see redneck as a racist term. Maybe a racist would, but I'm fine with it and would use the term to describe a racist, there are better terms to use, like racist.

Hillbilly, Redneck and honky have historic origins that are not racial. Calling blacks monkey, apes and ni66ers does and only someone that is willfully ignorant or just stupid know this

Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Hillbilly, Redneck and honky have historic origins that are not racial. Calling blacks monkey, apes and ni66ers does and only someone that is willfully ignorant or just stupid know this
It really doesn't matter, the historic origins of a word. Only the reasons for its use in individual circumstances, which I'd encourage everyone to think about before getting upset. I'm one of those who defended that white kid who got in trouble for wearing "blackface" to school as part of a tribute to MLK. Despite how it had been used in the past, I understood that it was being used in an entirely different (and positive!) way in his case. Same with words. Call people "monkey" (or "Nazi") all you like, regardless of what race they happen to be, but don't actually bring their race up or you will be labeled racist, and I for one won't care to defend you.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
It really doesn't matter, the historic origins of a word. Only the reasons for its use in individual circumstances, which I'd encourage everyone to think about before getting upset. I'm one of those who defended that white kid who got in trouble for wearing "blackface" to school as part of a tribute to MLK. Despite how it had been used in the past, I understood that it was being used in an entirely different (and positive!) way in his case. Same with words. Call people "monkey" (or "Nazi") all you like, regardless of what race they happen to be, but don't actually bring their race up or you will be labeled racist, and I for one won't care to defend you.

I agree on the case with the kid in the blackface it was not racially motivated. I will be the first to say that some blacks are over sensitive to some things.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I agree on the case with the kid in the blackface it was not racially motivated. I will be the first to say that some blacks are over sensitive to some things.
Of course. People on this thread, however, want to bring up that some blacks are too sensitive or yell "Racist" too soon though. And that's where I start chuckling. It's as if they didn't even watch the video. The woman all but said "He's black, so he's a monkey" word for word.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Of course. People on this thread, however, want to bring up that some blacks are too sensitive or yell "Racist" too soon though. And that's where I start chuckling. It's as if they didn't even watch the video. The woman all but said "He's black, so he's a monkey" word for word.
I have heard it as well, and she is clearly a racist sounding SOB! And for the life of me I cannot understand why people are trying to defend this wench in the first place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies