Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If you had a show dog you could claim him as a deduction.
That is not true. Many people show dogs, but don't have a business related to that dog. I am one of those people If I claim him as a deduction, I would be in violation of the law. If you had a business of showing dogs, or your business WAS your show dog, then expenses related to him would be deductible. But you can't claim the dog as a deduction, like you could a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This is the most idiotic defense that I have heard. The fact is that only the very wealthy have enough capital gains to benefit from the tax break. Sure, once you become a billionaire you can take advantage of them too, as if that is actually going to happen.
It's not a defense, it's a FACT. Be careful who you are labeling idiotic, when you claim that only the very wealthy have tax breaks from capital gains. MANY seniors income is taxed as capital gains, and very few of them are very wealthy. It's also not a tax break for capital gains, it's a separate sort of tax that is taxed at a different rate.

I love liberals - they have perfected the art of gross exaggeration.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It's not a defense, it's a FACT. Be careful who you are labeling idiotic, when you claim that only the very wealthy have tax breaks from capital gains. MANY seniors income is taxed as capital gains, and very few of them are very wealthy. It's also not a tax break for capital gains, it's a separate sort of tax that is taxed at a different rate.

I love liberals - they have perfected the art of gross exaggeration.
It sorta tells me they don't invest and just live paycheck to paycheck and put their money in savings accounts or CD's.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:20 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Ann Romney is going to the Olympics with her horse. It is an expensive hobby horse she co-owns and claims as a $77,000 loss in 2010 for its upkeep. The Romney’s Horse-Related Tax Deduction in 2010 Exceeded the U.S. Median Household Income (By a Lot) « Say It Ain't So Already

The median family household income was $45,800 in 2010.

I like animals too. Why can't I claim my hobby dog; his upkeep isn't cheap either. I'd like to have in inside track to Congress, too: "It’s an expensive hobby but in order to shield themselves from losses, the 1%ers have convinced congress to allow for a tax deduction so that they can write them off."

I can't write off a $400 death benefit. And Congress wonders why We The People hate politicians. It you cheat on taxes to avoid paying them, what else do pols lie about?

LOL I"m sure this has already been said but that's not actually the deduction they took, it was for under $100 if I recall. Either way, it's a therapy animal, not the same as your dog. Stop begrudging people of legitimately claiming tax deductions. Obama's cronies can't even be bothered to pay their taxes.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:27 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Stop begrudging people of legitimately claiming tax deductions. Obama's cronies can't even be bothered to pay their taxes.
You win the internet today with that one.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Quote:
That is not true. Many people show dogs, but don't have a business related to that dog. I am one of those people If I claim him as a deduction, I would be in violation of the law. If you had a business of showing dogs, or your business WAS your show dog, then expenses related to him would be deductible. But you can't claim the dog as a deduction, like you could a child.

thank you. finally, somebody that "get's it". . . .that horse is not a business, and no deductions should even be claimed, whether granted or not. I certainly never claimed any deductions on any of my horses, and I did essencially the same thing with them, ride, train, show. . . .and I WAS involved in the horse industry, my horses, however, were not a part of that!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
thank you. finally, somebody that "get's it". . . .that horse is not a business, and no deductions should even be claimed, whether granted or not. I certainly never claimed any deductions on any of my horses, and I did essencially the same thing with them, ride, train, show. . . .and I WAS involved in the horse industry, my horses, however, were not a part of that!
Do NOT twist my words around. Those deductions ARE legit. I own dogs, show them, and am involved in the fancy. But they are not my business. There are many where that dog IS their business. They can claim deductions.

You must not have been very involved in the horse world not to know that. In most horse businesses, each horse is incorporated and all money toward their upkeep is deductible. But THEY are not. Do you even understand the difference?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Do NOT twist my words around. Those deductions ARE legit. I own dogs, show them, and am involved in the fancy. But they are not my business. There are many where that dog IS their business. They can claim deductions.

You must not have been very involved in the horse world not to know that. In most horse businesses, each horse is incorporated and all money toward their upkeep is deductible. But THEY are not. Do you even understand the difference?
I do, indeed, know the "horse business", and worked as a barn manager for showing and breeding operations for many years. Are you under the impression that Romney's Olympic horse is a "business"? That horse is estimated to be worth 100,000 dollars, with expenses claimed for @ 75,000 each year. Hard to see where money could be made, any way at all, for that. I've got to conclude that it is a "hobby" horse, even if ridden, occasionally, by Mrs. Romney. My personal horses were never in any way a part of the busnisses that I worked for, and I never even thought about claiming any deductions for them!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
I don't blame Romney at all for claiming every tax deducation he can. In fact, if it turns out from his tax returns that he paid no taxes at all for some years, I'm ok with that.

What it does show is that there is a need for MASSIVE tax reform so this kind of idiotic deduction for someone like Romney, isn't there.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't blame Romney at all for claiming every tax deducation he can. In fact, if it turns out from his tax returns that he paid no taxes at all for some years, I'm ok with that.

What it does show is that there is a need for MASSIVE tax reform so this kind of idiotic deduction for someone like Romney, isn't there.
Can't argue with that. . . .. .:~)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies