Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 AM

17,403 posts, read 12,001,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No, but they shouldn't be rewarded by having access to more write-offs than everyone else either.
The rich don't have more write-offs - they have the exact same write-offs as everyone else. If that is not true, please point me to the proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
They didn't get $75K deduction. They claimed a $75K loss but only got to deduct $50.

Maybe the left leaning NYT writers need a lesson on the tax laws and how to read tax statements ?

Clarifying The Record on Mitt Romney's $77,000 Losses Olympic Horse Rafalca

The way this works is that the Romneys, the Ebelings, and Beth Meyers have together formed a corporate entity called "Rob Rom Enterprises LLC," which owns Rafalca and pays for his upkeep. The Romneys reported $77,731 in "passive losses" related to their investment in Rob Rom Enterprises, but of that their account only deemed $50 to be actually eligible for deduction.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 AM

17,403 posts, read 12,001,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Really?

I don't see it that way. When your just paying the bills with your income, its hard to invest 10 dollars a month on capital gains. Some people can make all of their income based on that.
Oh, so now it's "personal opinion" instead of the law?

The fact: you have the exact same write-offs as every other American. To state otherwise is a lie.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 AM

68,350 posts, read 54,502,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The rich don't have more write-offs - they have the exact same write-offs as everyone else. If that is not true, please point me to the proof.

I never claimed they did, I said they shouldn't, guess again.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,695,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Romney gave millions to the Mormon Church, which members are expected to give at least 10%. Romney also gave millions to the Tyler Charitable Foundation, a charity that they control and named after a street the Romneys used to live on.
Your envy knows no bounds.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:18 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,975,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Well then I think I'll vote for Obama in light of this outrageous act by Romney.

So now people shouldn't give to charities that are important to them?
My objection is not the Romney's charity giving, it's your spin that they give 16% to charity, when they are giving to their own foundation and calling it a charity -- basically, to reduce their taxes while still controlling where the money ends up.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,176,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Why is everyone so dang preoccupied with how much money Mitt Romney has or what his wife, who by the way has MS, does with her money?? He earned or got his money honestly and carries on with a fairly low profile lifestyle until people start FOLLOWING this guy around and also FOLLOWING his wife around then criticizing what they do with that money. Who are they hurting? Why in the world would anyone care besides perhaps being jealous because they are not working or they are lower income? For God sakes, get on with your own lives and get out of his. By the time he finishes paying his wife's medical bills for her MS he will have blowin thru a lot of his cash so mind your own businesses is what I say. Where is your compassion for ANYONE who has MS??
Every president we have had with the exception of perhaps Abe Lincoln has had money prior to being elected. You cannot run a campaign without it and if you just so happen to have more money than most when you decide to run for election then all hell breaks loose. It is insane. Why are we not concerned about what kind of a job Mitt might do for us as opposed to where his money goes?? Why don't we try support our country and healing all the wounds we have right now?? How about figuring out how to move forward from every bump Obama has created and smooth the way out to becoming a more prosperous country, less full of criticism and more concerned with making it work?? This is one SENIOR who has had it with our cutthroat political bashings.

Because he is fooling the trailer park and tin foil crowd with his average American routine that is anything but average. If you are rich, so be it but don't try and serve me Koolaid when I know you are drinking Sunny D. LMAO at the ridiculous analogy.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,694,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Ann Romney is going to the Olympics with her horse. It is an expensive hobby horse she co-owns and claims as a $77,000 loss in 2010 for its upkeep. The Romney’s Horse-Related Tax Deduction in 2010 Exceeded the U.S. Median Household Income (By a Lot) « Say It Ain't So Already
Hey, I hear ya.

Whatever it takes so that voters are NOT talking about the economy, unemployment, the debt, Egypt, Iran, Syria, Libya, Fast & Furious, national security leaks, 100 golf outings, etc.... and those are just a sort list of Obama's many success stories.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,159,247 times
Blame your government, not Mitt or Ann Romney.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,311,099 times
HEY!!!!! There is plenty of blame to go around for everyone. I don't think Romney spins facts or cheats any worse or anymore often, than any other pol. It's what they learned to do whether they lead a cavalry charge up San Juan Hill or wrangled cows on 50,000 acres. If their mouth moves it is a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies